Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I could accept a place on foundation year course.

* Im nearly 28 *I have a council flat and if I go to university it is possible that I could be overwhelmed by the course and end up homeless if I can't manage on the course.

I could end up homless as I don't really have any family if I go to university.

I could end up needing to try and get a hostel if I fail the course..*

ReputationRep:
    I imagine you're over the age of eighteen, so it's no longer possible to approach a local authority to be looked after and classify yourself as a Looked After Child. I think the most important thing you'd need is a) knowing what to expect at Foundation year (esp never letting the workload overwhelm you), and b) developing some connections to fall back on when the going gets tough.

I'm interested to know, have you done science A-levels before, and how do you find it? Do you currently receive Personal Independence Payment, or Employment and Support Allowance (SG)? Do you have any experience living on your own (eg cooking, cleaning, managing your work load, etc)?

ReputationRep:
    All of those things could happen.

Here are some other things that could happen:

You could do really well at university.

You could become an engineer and have an interesting, well-paid career.

You could end up buying your own home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tut123)
    I could accept a place on foundation year course in engineering at university.

Im nearly 28 *I have a council flat and if I go to university it is possible that I could be overwhelmed by the course and end up homeless if I can't manage on the course.

I could end up homless as I don't really have any family if I go to university.

I could end up needing to try and get a hostel if I fail the course..*
    Interestingly, I'm in a similar position to you. I'm 27, and I'm leaving my entire life behind, risking everything, to go to uni. There are myriad reasons why I might dwell on failure, on what happens if I fail, on what happens if the setting or the work overwhelm me. I've got issues, bro, and those issues might royally mess up my life.

Thing is... I don't think I've ever made a better decision, and I'm not going to turn back now. A lot of people have put a lot of time into helping me get to the point I'm at now. They deserve my success. More importantly, I deserve my success. I want a career. I want to own my own home. I want to do something valuable with my life. That's not going to happen if I stay where I am now. I know I'm more than capable of doing the work that's involved. I might not take to uni life like a duck to water, but I'm not there for the lifestyle. Regardless of what might happen, of how things may come crashing down around me if things go wrong, I'm going to do it anyway. As I said, it's the best decision I've ever made, perhaps the only decision that I haven't had serious doubts about.

Try not to dwell on what might happen should things go wrong. Even if there are very real reasons why things might go wrong, don't see that as a reason not to pursue your ambitions. If you've been offered a place at uni, then you have a chance to change your life for the better. In my opinion... you should take it, regardless of your fears and worries. It may well be the making of you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matatronic)
    Interestingly, I'm in a similar position to you. I'm 27, and I'm leaving my entire life behind, risking everything, to go to uni. There are myriad reasons why I might dwell on failure, on what happens if I fail, on what happens if the setting or the work overwhelm me. I've got issues, bro, and those issues might royally mess up my life.

Thing is... I don't think I've ever made a better decision, and I'm not going to turn back now. A lot of people have put a lot of time into helping me get to the point I'm at now. They deserve my success. More importantly, I deserve my success. I want a career. I want to own my own home. I want to do something valuable with my life. That's not going to happen if I stay where I am now. I know I'm more than capable of doing the work that's involved. I might not take to uni life like a duck to water, but I'm not there for the lifestyle. Regardless of what might happen, of how things may come crashing down around me if things go wrong, I'm going to do it anyway. As I said, it's the best decision I've ever made, perhaps the only decision that I haven't had serious doubts about.

Try not to dwell on what might happen should things go wrong. Even if there are very real reasons why things might go wrong, don't see that as a reason not to pursue your ambitions. If you've been offered a place at uni, then you have a chance to change your life for the better. In my opinion... you should take it, regardless of your fears and worries. It may well be the making of you
    Thanks, i've decided im going to go if I can. I've sent my student finance application late but if it comes through on time, i think i'll do it. *Im not going for the same course in my original post at the top but im going to be going for a foundation year that I think I could manage on better, I could try and then see how I go.
    *If I fail the course I think i'll just try and deal with whatever happens after.

I suppose I am in *similar way to you and I don't have much else to lose apart from the place im staying but I suppose that's ok and i'll see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    I started over my career and was living in a shared house in a tiny room, I went to Uni when I was 28. I graduated last year with a 1st honour degree, my University employed me and my contract is now coming to an end next month. I now have a place at another Uni to do a postgraduate course...

...It is possible to be older, start over, go to university and excel at it...Don't worry. Keep your mind on the good and don't see it as a major obstacle. See it as one day at a time, one lesson at a time. Once essay at a time, one paragragh at a time. That's how to do a Uni degree

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.