Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to go to uni this year but I don't believe I'll make my offer... I took A level Mathematics, Business and Media, gaining a Distinction in Business and a Distinction * in Media. But I need a B in mathematics ideally and I feel like I'll have a C. I want to study computer science despite dropping out of it in year 12 but I'm contemplating revisiting it and resitting the as and doing the a2 exams whilst resitting the necessary maths exams. The exam board was OCR. I know I flunked the first year but this was mainly due to losing an interest in school as a whole so I didn't revise at all. Would doing two years worth of computer science in one year be doable if I'm consistently revising? I should add that although I know most universities don't require computer science alevel, I've been contemplating revisiting it beside my mathematics to give it a second chance while I feel much more motivated to do better in it.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    x

ReputationRep:
    Computer Science A-level isn't necessary at all for CompSci at uni. I would concentrate on your maths more as this would be way more beneficial to you. It may be worth going over the course in your own time or just looking at CompSci related things just so you have at least a basic understanding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatExamWas)
    I want to go to uni this year but I don't believe I'll make my offer... I took A level Mathematics, Business and Media, gaining a Distinction in Business and a Distinction * in Media. But I need a B in mathematics ideally and I feel like I'll have a C. I want to study computer science despite dropping out of it in year 12 but I'm contemplating revisiting it and resitting the as and doing the a2 exams whilst resitting the necessary maths exams. The exam board was OCR. I know I flunked the first year but this was mainly due to losing an interest in school as a whole so I didn't revise at all. Would doing two years worth of computer science in one year be doable if I'm consistently revising? I should add that although I know most universities don't require computer science alevel, I've been contemplating revisiting it beside my mathematics to give it a second chance while I feel much more motivated to do better in it.
    The Computer Science spec for OCR has recently changed; if you were on the old spec then the A2 exams next year are purely for resit students who have already taken the A2 exam this year. It would be possible to take the new Computer Science spec (H046) instead.

Whilst I agree with the above post that Computer Science A Level is not necessary to study Computer Science at University, the A Level does provide students with an advantage, for example if you already learnt Java at A Level and you are using it at University also. Maths is usually the "required" subject for CompSci at University (if that University has a list of required subjects for the course), so it would make sense to try and maximise your maths grade.

As for doing the whole subject in a year, it is definitely possible. However, there's the exam element and also the coursework element. It might be difficult to revise for the AS and A2 exams alongside the coursework, especially as the coursework for OCR (old and new spec) needs a coded program. It might be difficult to code a project whilst trying to learn the programming language at the same time, or with little experience of a language. For example, I had ~3 years of experience using Python, which made my programming project much easier to complete, and why I chose not to use Java as I only had experience with it for only a few months.

All in all, do what you think is best for you. If you feel that you can handle the workload, and you are committed to complete the course in a year, then you can certainly go for it . However, do make sure that you are focused and are able to handle both the Computer Science and the Maths resit in the year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.