Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for reading.

I have recently finished my first year at University, having struggled considerably I decided to seek help and have since been referred to an adult ADHD clinic, however, I have been told the wait time is around 18 months currently to get a diagnosis (In which time I will be half way through my final year).

Having struggled so much all my life with concentration, I just found the adjustment to University a completely different ball game where I can't really rely on my intelligence to scrape through. I am now entering my second year having passed my first year through much emotional turmoil.

Seeking advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation on the best route to take. I would even consider seeking private treatment if anyone has any experience with that I would love to hear some details.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosopher77)
    Uh yeah, ADHD doesn't exist, much like Alcoholism doesn't exist.
    ADHD definitely exists, and there is much evidence to support this. It isn't that I don't enjoy reading because I do, and I wish I could do it more. But I find it impossible to sit down and finish a book.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by jack309)
    ADHD definitely exists, and there is much evidence to support this. It isn't that I don't enjoy reading because I do, and I wish I could do it more. But I find it impossible to sit down and finish a book.
    I suggest speaking to your uni disabilty services when you return to uni. That might be able to help you with things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    I suggest speaking to your uni disabilty services when you return to uni. That might be able to help you with things.
    Thanks for your response I tried seeking help from my uni, and I was referred to someone to help diagnose me, however as they were not medical therapists, the assesment that they carry out would only support help for me at uni, and they would not be able to prescribe medication to me which is the route im really seeking for after doing research. As I already have dyslexia I already receive similar DSA support to what I could get for ADHD. This is why I was considering private diagnosis from a professional, however the cost and process is a worry to me, and I have been unable to find much information online. 18 months just seems like such a long wait for something that I'm finding a massive worry and struggle.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Thanks for your response I tried seeking help from my uni, and I was referred to someone to help diagnose me, however as they were not medical therapists, the assesment that they carry out would only support help for me at uni, and they would not be able to prescribe medication to me which is the route im really seeking for after doing research. As I already have dyslexia I already receive similar DSA support to what I could get for ADHD. This is why I was considering private diagnosis from a professional, however the cost and process is a worry to me, and I have been unable to find much information online. 18 months just seems like such a long wait for something that I'm finding a massive worry and struggle.
    Yes, medication would help. Do you think you could go back to your GP and explain your situation and see if you can get an urgent referral? When I was referred for mental health issues I had to go back to my GP to ask for an urgent referral because I was in a bad way.

It's good that you have DSA though! Uni support for your academics is good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Yes, medication would help. Do you think you could go back to your GP and explain your situation and see if you can get an urgent referral? When I was referred for mental health issues I had to go back to my GP to ask for an urgent referral because I was in a bad way.

It's good that you have DSA though! Uni support for your academics is good.
    Spoken to the ADHD clinic today and unfortunately they've told me that I can't be bumped up the waiting list at all. I'm currently at home at the moment, but when I go back up to uni ill try speak again to student wellbeing and also go to my GP and see if there is anything that they can suggest or do to help.

Thank you for your advice, its greatly appreciated. I just feel so hopeless at the moment with it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Spoken to the ADHD clinic today and unfortunately they've told me that I can't be bumped up the waiting list at all. I'm currently at home at the moment, but when I go back up to uni ill try speak again to student wellbeing and also go to my GP and see if there is anything that they can suggest or do to help.

Thank you for your advice, its greatly appreciated. I just feel so hopeless at the moment with it.
    That sounds like a good idea.

I'm sorry I can't help much, but I understand the feeling of hopelessness.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for reading.

I have recently finished my first year at University, having struggled considerably I decided to seek help and have since been referred to an adult ADHD clinic, however, I have been told the wait time is around 18 months currently to get a diagnosis (In which time I will be half way through my final year).

Having struggled so much all my life with concentration, I just found the adjustment to University a completely different ball game where I can't really rely on my intelligence to scrape through. I am now entering my second year having passed my first year through much emotional turmoil.

Seeking advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation on the best route to take. I would even consider seeking private treatment if anyone has any experience with that I would love to hear some details.
    Do they think you have ADD or ADHD? ADD does not necessarily need medication. Strategies like rest breaks really can help as can finding the best way to study for you.

Go and see Student Support and read up about learning strategies for ADD/ADHD [whichever it is - the approaches are different]. You should be entitled to additional time in exams once you get a diagnosis.

ReputationRep:
    Hi just reading this are you still awaiting your diagnoses. I waited around 3 years to get back on medication as an adult and I already had a diagnosis as a child. But because I didn't continue taking my medication and go from adolescent to adult through the service there's little funding just for adults so had to wait ages. Even now with access to the service it's still terrible appointments take 3months which when your at uni and trialling different meds to find the best a 3 month wait between appointments is ridiculous and means most of the time your constantly falling behind and playing catch up all year. If you keep going back to your doctor and asking him to refer you again I think can bump you up. I was told to get the doctor to refer you to mordsley hospital in London as this is out of area and will cost them more to send you there. This can also bump you up in your local area Adhd services

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for reading.

I had a private diagnosis from my Uni. Way better than an NHS diagnosis. Feel free to message me if you want to know more on how you can get a screening at your University.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.