Turn on thread page Beta

Ok, well ive been with him for about a 13/14 months and he has just decided to give up smoking after 3 years.

Hes a bit agitated, stropey, short tempered ect but i know that comes with giving up (my dad was like it) its now im just starting to feel... not wanted, even though i know he loves me and i love him.

I want to know what to do.

Do i give him a bit of space? Not leave him just slow down a bit, not see him as much. Im not sure if it will help. Hes giving up because he knows i dont like it and he said something about making me happy. Its just i know (not a particularly good example) that when i was getting in trouble at school for using my phone, the teacher that was giving me hassel was the one who reminded me "oh i promised ... i would text her" then i would use it. I dont know that if im around it will be " she dont want me to smoke" then remind him about smoking and he does. Am i making sence?

Or should i just stick around, put up with his short temper and act normal?

Oh please help!!!

I dont want to leave him or for him to think im not interested, playing around ect. I just want to cheer him up a bit- any ideas that dont involve sex?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ok, well ive been with him for about a 13/14 months and he has just decided to give up smoking after 3 years.

Hes a bit agitated, stropey, short tempered ect but i know that comes with giving up (my dad was like it) its now im just starting to feel... not wanted, even though i know he loves me and i love him.

I want to know what to do.

Do i give him a bit of space? Not leave him just slow down a bit, not see him as much. Im not sure if it will help. Hes giving up because he knows i dont like it and he said something about making me happy. Its just i know (not a particularly good example) that when i was getting in trouble at school for using my phone, the teacher that was giving me hassel was the one who reminded me "oh i promised ... i would text her" then i would use it. I dont know that if im around it will be " she dont want me to smoke" then remind him about smoking and he does. Am i making sence?

Or should i just stick around, put up with his short temper and act normal?

Oh please help!!!

I dont want to leave him or for him to think im not interested, playing around ect. I just want to cheer him up a bit- any ideas that dont involve sex?
    Im going through the samething with my boyfriend iv been with him for five and a half years he smoked when we first met and he said he would give it up for me he stopped for two years then started up again he blamed stress at work. I am an ex-smoker my self so i know how hard it is to give up yeah you do get stroppy but there is no excuse to take it out on you. My boyfriend has promised me that he would give up smoking a year ago and he still hasent given up, first of all my advice to you is to just take a step back if he really wants to stop smoking then he will do it no excuses, thats what i keep telling my boyfriend so iv stoped nagging him and just accepted that he will do when he is ready, yeah i no its annoying but just let him no that you will help him anyway you can. I found encouragent is the key when my boyfriend first tried to give up I told him I would buy him somthing that he really wanted foe example, a pair of trainers each year he had given up but you dont have to spend money sex is also an advantage as well i know you said you did not want to involve sex but a mans brain is in their pants and they be putty in your hands if offer a deal involving a good time in bed trust me. Good luck.x

ReputationRep:
    first of all u have to understand it's not easy to give up something like smokin'.so he needs a lil bit time,but i think if u leave him alone it wouldn't help him to give up,,,he feels more lonely and goes on smoking.but acting normal is wrong too.in my opinion,u should nonstop remind him that u feel uncomfortable when he smokes ,,,and continues to be wit him.

I want to cool it a bit because im not entirely enjoying the time with him at the moment. I know that sounds selfish but its true or should i stick it out and be there to support him???

Also, we havent had sex and i dont feel ready. I am only 16!

ReputationRep:
    Ok if you havent had sex yet I completly understand forget what I said about the sex. If you love him then dont leave him unless you feel you are sure that you are making the right choice. Just let him know how you feel about the way he is treating you he may only be like that because he knows that you will be there for him no matter what he is like, but if you let him no that you dont like that way he is behaving and that it upsets you he may relise hes been a complete pain in the backside and back off.

ReputationRep:
    Buy him Werthers Originals

My hubby went through packs and packs of these when he gave up smoking. He said it got rid of the craving taste in the back of his throat. It was the only thing that calmed down his crankiness.

It might just make your boyfriend more bearable to be around

Maybe. Im going to phone him now and talk to him. I might come back and say how it goes but maybe not. I know we have to talk. Any ideas how to bring the subject up? I have been meaning to do it all night but dont know how!

ReputationRep:
    Thats the hardest part maybe its best to start off asking how he is coping and tell him that you have also been finding it hard he will probably ask why? then just come out with it tell him because of his behaviour is making you feel like upset and that you dont deserve the crap you get from him at the end of the day its not like you are forcing him to give up and that you understand how hard it must be but there is no need to be stroppy with you. yeah it may cause a bit of friction but at least you will have let him know how you really feel if he really likes you then he would not want to make you to feel this way other wise he is just selfish and you deserve better. Anyway its late now i wouldnt ring him leave it for another day sleep on it work out what you want to say to him its best to talk face-to-face than over the phone. good luck im sure you will work it out. oh i also used mints to cure my craven and used a pen as if it was a fag just for distraction.

Ok guys, i met up with him this morning before i went to the dentist and we had a chat.

It was actually really easy to talk about, which i never expected. He told me that hes not quiting just for me, he doesnt want to smoke anymore and his parents dont like it. HE also said something about knowing i wanted to talk about it and he is sorry for being such a pain these last few weeks and he will make it up to me. we are going to watch harry potter tonight.

BAsically, after a few kisses and cuddles he said that he wants me to stick around as much as possible because im his distraction, but no preassure . Then he said something about how he never smoked around me (which is true) because i never liked it and if im around he wont smoke around me, even though its making him cranky!

Then i gave him a packet of worthers and told him someone said it helps stop the cravings. Dont know if it works cus ive just got back from the dentist. Going to see him in about an hour so i guess i will find out.

He said the last thing he wants me to do is to keep him at a distance. He wants me to act normal and not talk about ****, which is fine with me.

Thanks for all your help!

I was thinking about doing something, cheer him up a bit because i know he is still a bit down. HEs putting on a show. im going to see him in 20 mins but i dont think just hanging out will stop him wanting a fag. I have to do something (not sex) to cheer him up a bit. i did ask before and all i got was sex which we havent done! Any ideas before i go?

ReputationRep:
    Also, we havent had sex and i dont feel ready. I am only 16!
    what does that have to do with giving up smoking?

He's trying to guilt trip you into having sex because he's "in oh so much pain for giving up smoking. boo hoo"

What's the deal? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Well done for having a chat with him bet it wasnt as bad as you thought. Sounds like he really likes you. Gues you could cheer him up by treating him to a movie the new harry potter is out soon (I cant wait I luv harry potter you wouldnt think Im 24yrs old ha ha im just a big kid) its hard to suggest ideas especially if you have no money but im sure you will think of something, find out what his hobbies and interests are then think about what you can relate to those.x

(Original post by Tufts)
    what does that have to do with giving up smoking?

He's trying to guilt trip you into having sex because he's "in oh so much pain for giving up smoking. boo hoo"

What's the deal? :confused:
    He isnt asking, someone said that sex would help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Dawn)
    Well done for having a chat with him bet it wasnt as bad as you thought. Sounds like he really likes you. Gues you could cheer him up by treating him to a movie the new harry potter is out soon (I cant wait I luv harry potter you wouldnt think Im 24yrs old ha ha im just a big kid) its hard to suggest ideas especially if you have no money but im sure you will think of something, find out what his hobbies and interests are then think about what you can relate to those.x
    We have just got back from watchin Potter. Its so good!

ReputationRep:
    Ok guys, i met up with him this morning before i went to the dentist and we had a chat.

It was actually really easy to talk about, which i never expected. He told me that hes not quiting just for me, he doesnt want to smoke anymore and his parents dont like it. HE also said something about knowing i wanted to talk about it and he is sorry for being such a pain these last few weeks and he will make it up to me. we are going to watch harry potter tonight.

BAsically, after a few kisses and cuddles he said that he wants me to stick around as much as possible because im his distraction, but no preassure . Then he said something about how he never smoked around me (which is true) because i never liked it and if im around he wont smoke around me, even though its making him cranky!

Then i gave him a packet of worthers and told him someone said it helps stop the cravings. Dont know if it works cus ive just got back from the dentist. Going to see him in about an hour so i guess i will find out.

He said the last thing he wants me to do is to keep him at a distance. He wants me to act normal and not talk about ****, which is fine with me.

Thanks for all your help!
    THink it I;d be best , if you try even going for a walk, cinerma (idea) things like tht to take this mind (and of course yours) of smoking hope this some help!:cool:

ReputationRep:
    hes trying to quit smoking and you wondering if you should break up with him because your not having a good time whilst hes going through hell

jeez hes lucky to have you isnt he?

I never planned on dumping him! I just wondered if i should give him a bit more space or stick to him like glue. And im sticking to him like glue because he wont smoke near me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.