Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there any point making a GP appointment? Watch

I've been stuck in a binge/compensate cycle for I don't know how long. Suppose it's called non-purge type bulimia.

ED TW
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I binge once or twice a week. The rest of the time I eat relatively normally if counting calories and spending most of my time thinking about/shopping for/eating food (either that or in the gym/running/walking/other-form-of-exercise) is considered normal as it seems to be by most people these days.
    Before, it was somewhat ok. I'd just eat 1000-2000 calories in a sitting which I could easily compensate for by going out for a 15-20 mile walk and not eating much else during the day.
    Now, I'm eating around 5000 calories during these binges despite feeling extremely ill before I'm even halfway through. It's taking me days to work off and I'm mentally and physically exhausted. I used to enjoy my walks and gym sessions but now I have to drag myself out of the house to get going, my legs are consistently sore and my lifts are stalling/getting worse. I pretty much hit rock bottom today as I binged the 2nd day in a row and my legs are too ****ing sore to carry me out of the house
    It feels like my life just revolves around food and exercise and I don't know what to do with myself. I called my dad yesterday who called 111 because I ate so much I just couldn't move/breathe and the paramedic suggested a GP appointment for possible depression/bulimia.

I just don't see the point though. The GP never does anything. They just send you away like nothing's wrong until you have to be hospitalised or you need surgery or it turns out that you have cancer. I just think it's going to be a waste of time as I'm a 'healthy weight' albeit slightly low on body fat and there's nothing physically wrong with me other than the fact I haven't had a period in years so they're just going to send me away with a self help book or something since I don't (can't) vomit or look ill so don't need urgent medical attention. In fact, I usually don't feel like I have a problem until I binge and spend the rest of the day crying in bed wanting my life to end.

Anyone been in a similar position and/or have any advice/suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been stuck in a binge/compensate cycle for I don't know how long. Suppose it's called non-purge type bulimia.

ED TW
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I binge once or twice a week. The rest of the time I eat relatively normally if counting calories and spending most of my time thinking about/shopping for/eating food (either that or in the gym/running/walking/other-form-of-exercise) is considered normal as it seems to be by most people these days.
    Before, it was somewhat ok. I'd just eat 1000-2000 calories in a sitting which I could easily compensate for by going out for a 15-20 mile walk and not eating much else during the day.
    Now, I'm eating around 5000 calories during these binges despite feeling extremely ill before I'm even halfway through. It's taking me days to work off and I'm mentally and physically exhausted. I used to enjoy my walks and gym sessions but now I have to drag myself out of the house to get going, my legs are consistently sore and my lifts are stalling/getting worse. I pretty much hit rock bottom today as I binged the 2nd day in a row and my legs are too ****ing sore to carry me out of the house
    It feels like my life just revolves around food and exercise and I don't know what to do with myself. I called my dad yesterday who called 111 because I ate so much I just couldn't move/breathe and the paramedic suggested a GP appointment for possible depression/bulimia.

I just don't see the point though. The GP never does anything. They just send you away like nothing's wrong until you have to be hospitalised or you need surgery or it turns out that you have cancer. I just think it's going to be a waste of time as I'm a 'healthy weight' albeit slightly low on body fat and there's nothing physically wrong with me other than the fact I haven't had a period in years so they're just going to send me away with a self help book or something since I don't (can't) vomit or look ill so don't need urgent medical attention. In fact, I usually don't feel like I have a problem until I binge and spend the rest of the day crying in bed wanting my life to end.

Anyone been in a similar position and/or have any advice/suggestions?
    Book a GP appointment, if you don't trust your normal doctor see if the surgery has another one.
    If you find these issues hard to discuss in person it may be worth writing it all down (especially the thoughts about wanting your life to end) and giving the paper to the GP.

ReputationRep:
    Would you benefit more by seeing a therapist?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    It may help if as well as writing everything down, you wrote / discussed what you feel you need?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.