Turn on thread page Beta

Learning Italian from the beginning? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I'm a keen language student and I've always wanted to learn Italian. I've just completed French, German and Latin GCSE so I have a solid grasp on general language points. I've started trying to teach myself a bit, but I'm not too sure on how far this book I'm using will go. It doesn't seem to focus on much grammar, which isn't a great help. Also, I can't hear how the language is spoken because there is no audio. Obviously, there are many "Teach Yourself" sort books around, but I was wondering if anyone has had any particularly good results with any specific book? Failing that, does anyone have any tips on how to get me going?

Also - I'm having problems with the accent - I can't roll my 'r's! Having done German and French I've been taught to speak with a very throaty accent, and so when it comes to the more Mediterranean languages I'm a bit stuck? Any tips?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kjc_us)
    Hiya, I'm a keen language student and I've always wanted to learn Italian. I've just completed French, German and Latin GCSE so I have a solid grasp on general language points. I've started trying to teach myself a bit, but I'm not too sure on how far this book I'm using will go. It doesn't seem to focus on much grammar, which isn't a great help. Also, I can't hear how the language is spoken because there is no audio. Obviously, there are many "Teach Yourself" sort books around, but I was wondering if anyone has had any particularly good results with any specific book? Failing that, does anyone have any tips on how to get me going?

Also - I'm having problems with the accent - I can't role my 'r's! Having done German and French I've been taught to speak with a very throaty accent, and so when it comes to the more Mediterranean languages I'm a bit stuck? Any tips?

Thanks
    Hey there!

Having never studied Italian myself I can't recommend any specific books/resources I'm afraid.

However, generalebriety recently made an absolutely fantastic post in regards to how to go about picking up a language and ways to improve. I'll have a look in a minute for you to see if I can find it, failing that, I'm pretty sure it got uploaded to the TSR Wiki, so you should be able to find it there.

Also, if you're wanting to hear some spoken Italian, I'd suggest going on www.mikesradioworld.com. Here you can find a huge list of radio stations to help develop your listening skills.

As far as rolling your r's goes, it's all to do with genetics, some people can do it, others just simply can't. So they'll be plenty of Italians who can't even do it themselves I'd think Although I guess it's possible you actually can do it, but haven't figured out how to yet! :p: I can sort of do it myself, but I couldn't really describe how I do it :confused: Try a Google search perhaps?

Hope I've covered everything, anything else feel free to ask.

EDIT: generalebriety's post can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=421620

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titaniyum)
    As far as rolling your r's goes, it's all to do with genetics, some people can do it, others just simply can't. So they'll be plenty of Italians who can't even do it themselves I'd think Although I guess it's possible you actually can do it, but haven't figured out how to yet! :p: I can sort of do it myself, but I couldn't really describe how I do it :confused: Try a Google search perhaps?
    Yep! In the north of Italy, it's considered a sign of 'poshness' if you don't roll your tongue!
    Anyway, as for the listening, I agree, listen to some radio or get a course where you get a tape/CD as well so you can listen and repeat for example. "Contatti" comes with a CD and is not very expensive.
    Book-wise, I recommend "Amici"; have a look on Amazon. That and "Contatti" makes a great combination to start learning Italian .

ReputationRep:
    The ones I'm using at the moment are the Hugo ones - Hugo Italian in 3 Months and then Hugo Advanced Italian, and then you can get both with CDs. There are loads of good books around though, and I think you just have to try a few and see which ones work best for you.

ReputationRep:
    Think ill go to the library and see what they have, im really keen to learn italian properly. Because ive been there quite a few times ive picked up a bit of the language and can understand quite a bit, its just speaking it can be bit of a problem, lol. Oh well

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 12, 2007

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.