Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have read that applications for STEM subjects as a second degree starting in 2017 will be eligible for a full tuition fee and maintenance loan on the same terms as a first degree loan.

Can anyone confirm with certainty if this is the case or just a proposal at this point?

I was planning on applying through clearing this year but would have to self-fund so waiting a year if I would get a full loan would make a lot of sense.

The other question is that I have used up 4 years of funding but never actually got a degree so would SFE still class me in the same boat as second degree students seen as their calculations when I applied for funding last year only entitled me to the maintenance loan on the same basis as if I had already got an undergrad degree? I had one term at one uni then a few years later did 2 years of one course before being moved to year 2 of a course and had to drop out, so by SFE's calculations that's 4 years of funding used up but no degree!!

Sorry for the long email but I don't want to make a very costly mistake applying this year if I can get a loan in 2017 but likewise I don't want to waste a year if the changes to STEM degrees don't actually happen.

Andy
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I've just had a look on Google and it's so vague at this point. All I can find is that you can get a tuition fee loan and nothing for living costs.

I am hoping that it won't be too long before the Government do announce what their plans are. When they do, I will update the FAQ.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.