Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Coming together with a lorry on motorway... Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I was in the middle lane doing 40-42mph (limit on M25 at Uxbridge-Staines during rush hour in the evening).

Going past a lorry and then he drifted into the middle lane whilst I was 5-10 meters in front of his front right wheel. He moved into my lane and collided with my left, passenger door/wing mirror before I had time to react in a safe manner. Has that been at 60/70mph I'm sure the damage would've been far worse.

The extent of the damage is virtually nothing. His lorry was so big that it seems it was his large front wheel that did most of the colliding, therefore I just have some ingrained dirt marks which I know I can rub out as he showed me. There is a small scuff but I drive a 14 years old Ford, I'm not overly upset about it. He's scraped some of the door handle off but it's still usable and I'm sure I can recover a replacement if I care enough and have time to do so at some point.

My question is, do I need to do anything? I don't want to claim as I have 9 months no claims (only passed in October 2015). Do I need to tell my insurance company even though I don't wish to claim? I'm worried he might try and do something even though he already had a damaged truck (I could tell from his headlights which showed cracks etc and damage which my car would not have been able to do to such a heavy vehicle without incurring more damage than was visible.

More than anything I'm just worried about my NCB... he seemed like a standard European migrant from Romania, probably did too many hours and got a tad tired (guessing he didn't check his blind spot and that's why he missed me).

Help? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by accno1)
    So I was in the middle lane doing 40-42mph (limit on M25 at Uxbridge-Staines during rush hour in the evening).

Going past a lorry and then he drifted into the middle lane whilst I was 5-10 meters in front of his front right wheel. He moved into my lane and collided with my left, passenger door/wing mirror before I had time to react in a safe manner. Has that been at 60/70mph I'm sure the damage would've been far worse.

The extent of the damage is virtually nothing. His lorry was so big that it seems it was his large front wheel that did most of the colliding, therefore I just have some ingrained dirt marks which I know I can rub out as he showed me. There is a small scuff but I drive a 14 years old Ford, I'm not overly upset about it. He's scraped some of the door handle off but it's still usable and I'm sure I can recover a replacement if I care enough and have time to do so at some point.

My question is, do I need to do anything? I don't want to claim as I have 9 months no claims (only passed in October 2015). Do I need to tell my insurance company even though I don't wish to claim? I'm worried he might try and do something even though he already had a damaged truck (I could tell from his headlights which showed cracks etc and damage which my car would not have been able to do to such a heavy vehicle without incurring more damage than was visible.

More than anything I'm just worried about my NCB... he seemed like a standard European migrant from Romania, probably did too many hours and got a tad tired (guessing he didn't check his blind spot and that's why he missed me).

Help? Thanks
    It's entirely possible he didn't see you. Remember trucks have a lot more blind spots than a car, and some of them can't be checked, plus if you're driving a small car then there's less of you to see.

Short answer is though, if there's little damage to your car it's not worth claiming against him. You lose a lot more than he does.

P.S. Use the horn! I use it all the time when people drive like morons, and I use it when trucks drift from their lane since it alerts the driver so they can correct themselves!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crystalyne)
    It's entirely possible he didn't see you. Remember trucks have a lot more blind spots than a car, and some of them can't be checked, plus if you're driving a small car then there's less of you to see.

Short answer is though, if there's little damage to your car it's not worth claiming against him. You lose a lot more than he does.

P.S. Use the horn! I use it all the time when people drive like morons, and I use it when trucks drift from their lane since it alerts the driver so they can correct themselves!
    Yeah like I say it was 40 mph and he had clear road in front of him, so I didn't envisage his move, it was not until he hit my wing mirror did I notice him drifting and by then it was too late. The damage is so minor though, it's literally a grazed door handle which just needs a bit of sanding down.

All part of experience I guess but it shook me a bit but gladly it was a kiss more than anything. I think he was probably just tired

ReputationRep:
    If he drifted out of his lane, it won't affect your no claims bonus (of course it's possible he could lie about the circumstances, and in that case the insurance company might decide to go knock for knock, in which case it would). However, if you claim you would have to declare it on your insurance the next year as a non-fault accident and that might still affect your premium, despite your intact no claims bonus. I'd probably talk to my insurance company just to be on the safe side, but not claim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    I'd probably talk to my insurance company just to be on the safe side, but not claim.
    I'd be extremely careful about this. My mum had a slight scrape and similarly "enquired" with the insurance company, never made a claim, and her next premium tripled.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.