Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls would you ever date a guy younger than you? Watch

Over the past year or so I have been talking to a girl whenever I see her at her workplaces (A bar and another place) and we seem to really get on.

I think she's gorgeous and she has an amazing personality from what I can tell but the issue is she is 22 and I'm 19.

Does this make it near on impossible for me to make something happen from a dating point of view?

Bare in mind I get the idea she finds me attractive and without even asking him, my dad says that he noticed her staring at me and that he thought she liked me?

I'm 19 but very mature for my age!

ReputationRep:
    Look, you don't have a huge age gap, it's possible to date her even though shes older than you.

ReputationRep:
    You need to think long term. When you're 49, she's going to be 52...eurgh.....

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's any problem with that age gap at the ages you are, if I was 22 I wouldn't mind dating someone 3 years younger than me as long as they were mature (I'm 18 so wouldn't date a 15 year old haha) it will just be her personal preference and I'm sure there's no problem, it's not a huge gap anyway!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Don't see why it would matter, as long as they're not....underage *shudders*

ReputationRep:
    no
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My gf is 1 and a half years older than me. Currently she's 21 and I'm 19 but I'm about to turn 20. But to be fair it does bother her a little.

Also I've known a girl who said she wouldn't date someone who was even a day younger than her. Even if he was the perfect guy and were practically the same age except one day younger then no. Which I found completely ridiculously stupid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Over the past year or so I have been talking to a girl whenever I see her at her workplaces (A bar and another place) and we seem to really get on.

I think she's gorgeous and she has an amazing personality from what I can tell but the issue is she is 22 and I'm 19.

Does this make it near on impossible for me to make something happen from a dating point of view?

Bare in mind I get the idea she finds me attractive and without even asking him, my dad says that he noticed her staring at me and that he thought she liked me?

I'm 19 but very mature for my age!
    trust me man I have had relationships and i am a guy, in fact all but one of my relationship were with a marginally older woman
    so the longest gap was 5 years (16 and 21) and the shortest gaps were 2 years (18 and 20, 17 and 19, 19 and 21)

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend is a year and a half younger than me, it doesn't bother us at all.

ReputationRep:
    that age gap is nothing. Yeah I would.

ReputationRep:
    That's such a small gap. I don't think it will be a problem. A lot of women however seem to have a big problem with age gaps (idk why) so even though it may be ok with you she might be a bit weird about it.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend is a year younger than me (though he reminds me it's only 50 weeks!) and I don't even think about it. I honestly forget he isn't my age unless someone mentions it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you are 'very mature' for your age than i dont see why not

I'm so glad to hear these responses. I am definitely not bothered about the age gap, I just hope she isn't. I'm not actually sure she knows I'm 19. I only know she's 22 because a friend of mine told me.

ReputationRep:
    At first I was bothered by it and found it a bit weird since I'm used to "the boy has to be older" but after a few months I really didn't care, in some ways he's more mature than me

I've been surprised about how much girls have cared about this in the past.

I'm a guy and I wouldn't care if a girl was a few years older. But I've previously heard some very intelligent girls say that they would absolutely hate going out with a younger guy. I remember a couple of 21 year old girls saying that going out with a guy a year younger than them (the guy was one of my friends) would be like "dating a little schoolboy", which I found quite surprising and almost disrespectful, especially since the girls were highly intelligent Cambridge students.

I guess it depends on the girl - some will care, some won't.

ReputationRep:
    My cousin is 41 and has been dating a 28 year old for 7 years ( 34 and 21 when they met). She isn't as mature as him and youthful in her behaviour so they make a good couple. She is living with him now, they both have lots in common rock festivals etc.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.