Turn on thread page Beta

Taking blood as a work exp student... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I realise that I can't take blood from patients. However, the F1 I'm shadowing offered to let me have a go at taking her blood. I haven't actually done it, cos I just wanted to check first if she or I could get into trouble over this... anybody know?

ReputationRep:
    If it is the F1 and they have offered, do it if you want. NEVER take blood from a patient... you are not covered if it all goes wrong, and the Trust WILL hang you out to dry...

ReputationRep:
    Not even an issue of using NHS resources?

ReputationRep:
    I let Daveo practise taking mine (I have difficult veins) when he first started. In return I had to be allowed to take his. Mwahahahahahah. I suppose you can do anything you want in a private arragement between two people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Not even an issue of using NHS resources?
    The needles and blood-taking equipment you use will cost a few pence at most. We get through squillions of them when we learn, so doing it once or twice will be a teeny weeny drop in a very large ocean. Just make sure you stick to the F1 and stay away from the patients!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I suppose you can do anything you want in a private arragement between two people.
    Legally no, you cannot consent to battery, GBH, ABH, etc. (but I assume that there's a medical exception).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Legally no, you cannot consent to battery, GBH, ABH, etc. (but I assume that there's a medical exception).
    I was going to add consensual, but then I thought **** it noone in here is that fussy. Seems I was wrong :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I was going to add consensual, but then I thought **** it noone in here is that fussy. Seems I was wrong :p:
    Putting the last bit aside for a sec, what's your point? There's no such thing as consensual ABH, which is what venepunture is.

ReputationRep:
    I say go ahead and do it! It's another experience and you'll have to do it sometime so if the offers there, may aswell take it.

ReputationRep:
    If they have offered why not and why cant they give you consent to do it isnt it the same as them practising on each other which ive seen quite alot do

ReputationRep:
    Don't know about the legality of this but sounds 100x more interesting than what I got to do in my w. exp.

Although, I'd be a bit nervous, having never stuck a needle in someone before to draw blood.

ReputationRep:
    When I was on w/e last yr the FY1 is was shadowing let me have a go at taking his blood, at first I said no, but then on the last day I relented and thought why not! It was actually quite easy, though he did have very good veins!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 12, 2007

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.