Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I deleted my facebook. Should I get Facebook again for Uni?? watch

ReputationRep:
    So i had facebook breifly for two years when i was 12-14ish, then I deleted my account. I just didn't want to have facebook and that sort of thing because it was a bit of a distraction etc. and I didn't really see the point because at the time i felt I was in good contact with friends away from facebook anyway.

Is it worth me getting it just before uni? When I deleted fb, I sort of lost contact with many of my friends from my primary school and I haven't been in touch since. The school I go to now is a sort of really tight knit bubble, really far away from my old school's social circles, and people from my school are known to stick together in uni (because we tend to go to like literally 8 unis per year group).

I really don't want that, and I sort of want to start afresh and break out of the bubble, meet new people and stuff because tbh it's sort of weird and unhealthy (typical all girls boadrding school).

But even though there are some people I want to cut off, there are quite a lot of people I don't want to lose contact with, and I feel I might if I don't get facebook. If I got facebook now, I feel like I would have to add all these people I don't really want to be involved with later, and it sounds stupid, but my school community is impossible to break out of. If I go on holiday abroad, or shopping down the road I always manage to bump into someone from my school. It is crazy because it is only 380 pupils who live internationally, and i'm kind of tired of it.

Would my social life be bad in uni if I don't get fb? I know in uni almost everything happens on fb, especially with big events and societies and I obvs don't want to miss out, especially as I want to start afresh. If I got fb at the beginning of uni, I could start afresh, but would it be sort of weird to be at that awkward 30 friends status? I don't want to start off slowly and then be lagging behind socially for 3 years. It sounds really shallow, but I'm just considering it.

Also, I've realised that when people (usually guys) are too shy to ask for numbers or names, they would usually go and add on fb, but since i'm not on it, it get's complicated and they end up asking about me through my friends, and then there's chinese whispers and rumours that I have no control over. It's a FW problem I know, but I don't want to be so reliant on other people.

I hear loads of people are leaving fb all together anyway, so I'm also considering just not joining.

so help if you can:
    Should I a) not get facebook at all

b) get facebook just after/before joining uni (so i don't end up stuck in the same bubble)

c) get facebook now (so I can build a friend base before Uni)

what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicilaw)

what do you think?
    It's your decision. If you get Facebook, you don't need to add anyone who you don't want to speak to. You adjust your privacy settings so that only people who you add as a friend can see your profile and search for you. Therefore the only people who will know you have an account are the one's who you choose to add as a friend. Alternatively you could give your friends your email address and phone number so they can stay in touch with you that way. Or how about using an alternative instant messaging service such as msn or setting up a Skype account? There are many more ways to stay in touch with people than just Facebook.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend it. It helps you keep in contact with others, and most people will use it.

ReputationRep:
    I also had Facebook when I was in yr7-8 and deleted it. I got it again at the start of AS after being forced to get it by my friends. It's actually been awesome, I enjoy seeing what my peers are doing etc and I can speak to family in other countries and make friends with new people I meet! It's very nice for keeping in contact with people you meet at interviews etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://www.shagatuni.com

ReputationRep:
    I deleted my account. I have created a new one for university. My current policy is to only add groups/societies/events, but no friends. I use it as more of an RSS feed than a social network.

ReputationRep:
    You could just get Facebook messenger instead? It's an easy way to stay in contact with your friends and you don't need to make a Facebook account for it either

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I didn't and it made things harder. It's just easy to keep track of things, meet new people and so on, you'll get randomers on your course asking and inviting to stuff that wouldn't happen otherwise especially if you look a bit intimidating in person

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.