Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im due to head down to Cranwell next Sunday for OASC, and Im applying for NCA. I've been revising in preparation for this, and I'd just like to double-check some of these acronyms with you guys, if thats ok!

First off is RTS - Recruit Training Squadron at RAF Halton, for 9 weeks; if successful you pass out as an Aircraftsman in the RAF,

Second is a Sergeant's Course at RAF Cranwell for 10 weeks, teaching you how to be a leader/manager amongst your fellow RAF personnel; if successful you become an Acting Sgt,

Third is NCAITC - Non-Commissioned Aircrew Initial Training Course, still at RAF Cranwell, for 6 months, where you are taught a generic curriculum for Aircrew - survival training, aircraft systems, radio procedures, and the like; if successful, you are then streamed onto one of the following NCA trades:

1a. WSOp (Crewman) - Fixed Wing - A further 4 months at RAF Cranwell, followed by 5 months at either RAF Lyneham or Brize Norton learning how to manage/transport/store loads on large RAF transport aircraft, as well as other in-flight assistance to the crew and passengers. If successful, posted to an Operational Conversion Unit

1b. WSOp (Crewman) - Rotary Wing - 9 months at RAF Shawbury, learning how to handle cargo and passengers on helicopters. If successful, posted to an OCU

2. WSOp (Electronic Warfare) - 7 months at RAF Cranwell, learning about RADAR systems, detecting other aircraft and ships and learning how to integrate this into an overall battlefield situation. If successful, posted to an OCU (either Kinloss for Nims or Waddo for E3Ds)

3. WSOp (Accoustic) - 7 months at RAF Cranwell, learning about SONAR, oceanography, torpedoes, and how to hunt subs. If successful, posted to an OCU (Kinloss)

4. WSOp (Linguist) - 24 months learning how to speak a foreign language, and translating enemy intercepted transmissions. If successful, posted to an OCU (Waddington I think).
    [Not too sure about this one, not something Im going for but still its good to know]

This is right off the top of my head - if anyone has anything to add or any big corrections to make, I'd be much obliged!

ReputationRep:
    The first course at Cranwell, the 10 week one, is NCAITC and you get A.Sgt at the end of that. After successful completion of that course, then you move onto the 26-week generic course on 55(R) Sqn, followed by streaming. The spec phase training lengths you have a correct, there or thereabouts. Linguists do 18 months language training, followed by a 10-month OCU.

Good luck at OASC.

Edit: Oh, and EW can go to Kinloss (most do), or Waddo for E3Ds or Nimrod R1s

ReputationRep:
    For rotary crewman, if the book is telling you 9 months, then fair one, go with that, but i can tell you from experience that it's 10. Also, there's a lot more too it than loading cargo and passengers. Maybe you could mention aspects such as voice-marshalling, comms-procedures, heli-handling, navigation, tactics, search-and-rescue. These are just the few basic requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Copy that - thanks for your help guys!

ReputationRep:
    Rizza, can you confirm anything about a trial being carried out at Shawbury at the moment where some Cmn are being put through a a more condensed 3-4 month training course instead of the 10 month in oder to get Cmn to the frontline sqn's quicker?
    Cheers
    R

ReputationRep:
    Yes I can - although I don't think I should go into too much detail. At the moment, 2 types of course are being run, the normal 10 month course and a 'fast-track' course, which is 6 months-ish. It's not as short as 3-4 months, and it's not set in stone that it's a permanent fixture.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.