FM question to do with coefficients and roots

Watch
i cantthinkofany
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys,It's a question from CIE A level further maths, I can do the first part of the question and also can find S3, but I am not sure how to calculate S-2. The examiner report says that S3 = 3 and S-2 = 1 Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attached files
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by i cantthinkofany)
Hi guys,It's a question from CIE A level further maths, I can do the first part of the question and also can find S3, but I am not sure how to calculate S-2. The examiner report says that S3 = 3 and S-2 = 1 Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Use the deduced equation to find what the sums and products of its roots are (remember; they're not simply \alpha,\beta,\gamma anymore)

S_{-2}=(2\alpha+1)^{-2}+(2\beta+1)^{-2}+(2\gamma+1)^{-2}

=\frac{1}{(2\alpha+1)^{2}}+\frac  {1}{(2\beta+1)^{2}}+\frac{1}{(2 \gamma+1)^{2}}

=\frac{\sum(2\alpha+1)^{2}(2\beta  +1)^{2}}{(2\alpha+1)^{2}(2\beta+  1)^{2}(2\gamma+1)^{2}}

...and you can work from there.

Further hints:
Spoiler:
Show
Remember that:

\sum(\alpha\beta)^2=(\sum{\alpha  \beta})^2-2\alpha\beta\gamma\sum{\alpha}

and

\alpha\mapsto\ 2\alpha+1
B_9710
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you are trying to find  S_n then you could make the substitution say  z=y^n , then to find the value of  S_n you would just be looking at the coefficient of the second term of the polynomial.
So to find  S_2 if you let  z=y^2 and then rearrange and form a polynomial equation, and look at the second term coefficient, that will be the sum  S_2 , so it will be  -b/a where's is coefficient of first term and b is coefficient of second term.
i cantthinkofany
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey guys, thanks for the reply. Both of the methods seem like valid ways to do it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (258)
33.86%
No (504)
66.14%

Watched Threads