Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't know who you to listen to as we receive so many mixed messages about what sort of diet you should follow and what foods to eat and what foods not to eat.As you get such contradictory ideas some say eat raw diet some say raw diet is bad others say everything good in moderation while others say you should limit the amount of dairy you eat etc.Who should one listen to when you receive such various advice about our lifestyle and diet?

ReputationRep:
    When I was at primary school we were taught there were 5 food types. Protein, carbohydrate, fat, vitamins/minerals and fibre. As long as you ate them as part of a balanced diet i.e. you aren't allowed to eat sweets all the time, you would be healthy.
    Roll forward lots of years and the same advice is still true. Ignore dieting tips or health studies. They all have vested interests and are ultimately there to make you spend your money one way or another.

The one thing that has made things harder is the fact that so few people cook, instead opting for ready meals. As a result, they have no idea what is in their food. So if you want to be healthier, start cooking your own food. A good balance of protein like meat or pulses with rice, pasta or potatoes and lots of green veg and fruit, and perhaps the odd sweet or alcoholic treat will do you no harm whatsoever.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    When I was at primary school we were taught there were 5 food types. Protein, carbohydrate, fat, vitamins/minerals and fibre. As long as you ate them as part of a balanced diet i.e. you aren't allowed to eat sweets all the time, you would be healthy.
    Roll forward lots of years and the same advice is still true. Ignore dieting tips or health studies. They all have vested interests and are ultimately there to make you spend your money one way or another.

The one thing that has made things harder is the fact that so few people cook, instead opting for ready meals. As a result, they have no idea what is in their food. So if you want to be healthier, start cooking your own food. A good balance of protein like meat or pulses with rice, pasta or potatoes and lots of green veg and fruit, and perhaps the odd sweet or alcoholic treat will do you no harm whatsoever.

Good luck!
    Thank you for reminding me of this true lesson.I guess people say things like this will cause diabetes or this will cause cancer to make money and claims such as eat this and you will prevent this.It is a very good sales tactic i must admit as we all want to live long healthy lives and we would spend endless money to ensure our health such as those expensive gluten-free this free etc and those books with those amazing claims.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    ByEeek has the right idea. As long as you're not sat stuffing your face with junk all day, you should be ok.

I do think that everything in moderation is right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    Thank you for reminding me of this true lesson.I guess people say things like this will cause diabetes or this will cause cancer to make money and claims such as eat this and you will prevent this.It is a very good sales tactic i must admit as we all want to live long healthy lives and we would spend endless money to ensure our health such as those expensive gluten-free this free etc and those books with those amazing claims.
    Half of us will get cancer before we die, most in old age. I am not advocating an unhealthy lifestyle but if someone claims that doing or eating x increases / decreases something by y% rather than get excited about the percentage, one should question the numbers. 100% increase on one case is only two.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the fault of the scientific community - it'd be much more accurate to say that media interpretation of scientific studies are misleading.

If you want to study something really quite complicated, like diet and health, it's usually easier to break it down into discrete little chunks and analyse the effects of a particular molecule. If there is a particular group of molecules you want to study about grapes, and you find out that there are lots of antioxidants to prevent cancer - the media would report it as "study finds consumption of wine is linked to reducing your risk of this particular cancer"

It really doesn't help that these markets are absolutely behemoths so there is every incentive to misrepresent science, and the public buys it because the median person is not particularly scientifically minded to notice.

But as far as general health is concerned, I personally do something quite simple. I look at various different countries, and look for major differences in longevity. It points to Japan as having some of the healthiest lifestyles (except certain social customs and introduction of smoking) until it began westernising - then the rates of diabetes, heart attacks, etc trend up in the same direction of the US.

Evolutionary diets also give us some pretty good pointers. Before agriculture, we used to use about 2000 calories to get 2000 calories and there were no comfortable thermostat in the home. The consumption of meat was less ubitiquitous, the gargantuan excesses of sugar and fat was not viewed as a positive thing (it's actually quite disgusting if you're not raised in the culture), and vegetables are cheap and plentiful so people ate a lot of it.

ReputationRep:
    I personally believe that a well planned vegan diet is the healthiest not raw as some foods have to be cooked to allow your body to absorb the nutrients fully. The statistics show that vegans are less likely to die from nearly all leading causes eg cancer and and heart disease as animal fats and proteins in both meat and dairy can cause them. If you are interested just look up dr Collin Campbell on YouTube and he'll explain this in more detail with the specific facts to back it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.