Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion about how appropriate it would be to actually visit a university from whom you are seeking admission rather than contacted them online. I am currently still in a waiting list to get into Bristol University and thought maybe if I go to the university and talk to an admissions member to pitch myself, I could have a better shot?

Thank you (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnaLaurat)
    Hello

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion about how appropriate it would be to actually visit a university from whom you are seeking admission rather than contacted them online. I am currently still in a waiting list to get into Bristol University and thought maybe if I go to the university and talk to an admissions member to pitch myself, I could have a better shot?

Thank you (:
    Yeah, there's sometimes clearing open days that you can go to.

If you ask the universities you want to apply to or look online at their websites you'll find the dates.

Sometimes you'll be offered a place there.

Edit: On the Bristol site it says the next one is Friday 9 September 2016, confirm this with them but that seems like it might be a little too late. You might be able to get a visit day if you ask, that's what I did with one of the universities that I applied to, I had an unconditional offer though at the time but if you're on a waiting list they might show you around the department and you can meet the lecturers, etc. It's worth asking but don't be too pushy if they say no
    I'm not sure if saying that you want to pitch yourself to them would be a good idea, so maybe say you want to see the department, ask some additional questions about the course (think of some before you call in case they ask you on the phone), etc.

Good luck!

Don't be disheartened if they say that you can't go visit btw, you're still on the waiting list and even if you don't go to Bristol there's still lots of great unis out there and you'll do well and have a great time in any of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnaLaurat)
    Hello

Thank you (:

You can go t ovisit, but that would be purely for your benefit. there is no such thing as pitching yourself to the asmissions tutor etc. since they have already gone through your application and interviewed you. If they had a face to face with every student, they wouldn't have time to do anything else!

You're on clearing though, so that means if someone doesn't make their grades or there's extra space o nthe course, then you're in for a shot, while that is some hope, its better to plan ahead for the future now. If you're going to reapply then practice your ukcat get your personal statment ready so that in case you don't get in, at least you're prepared to go on rather than rushing things later

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.