Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Today I went to the gym for the first time. Woot woot.
    I did around 35 minutes power-walking with a few short outbursts of running on the treadmill, with a 5 minute cool-down walk afterwards, 15 minutes on the exercise bike, and I attempted the cross-trainer but only lasted 5 minutes as I thought my chest was going to pack up on me! Lol.

My fitness is zero. I am extremely unfit! I'm not overweight or anything, but I am on the curvier side. In the next 6 weeks of summer I'd like to lose around 10lbs at least, [although I'm not really going by weight, I'm going more by measurements - I'd like to drop a dress size] and I'd like to do it healthily. I've got my eating plan sorted - I generally eat fairly healthily anyway - but when it comes to exercise I've no idea! I can't go for runs or anything like that just yet because I'm not fit enough, but I want to notice a difference so I don't want to go an occasional walk every now and then and that be it. This isn't just about losing weight, it's also about getting fit!

I'm planning on going for 1 hour every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and then cycling for a few miles Tuesday and Thursday. Is this okay? I don't want to overdo it, but I don't want to do not enough - and I have no idea if this is too much [bearing in mind my fitness levels] or too little?

[The hour at the gym will be spent most probably 30 minutes - treadmill, 30 minutes - bike].

Any advice would be helpful - I'm very unfit and very inexperienced with working out!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Really all you're doing is running and cycling, so I can't see any problem with it. If things hurt, stop. Other than that, no, you're not in any serious danger of killing yourself. Don't forget you can take the treadmill and bike as quickly or as slowly as you like.

If you don't mind me asking, though, why the hell are you going to the gym to run and cycle? Do that outside for free in the fresh air! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Because I get to go to the gym for free.
    Plus, I find I actually run/power walk on a treadmill and work up a sweat. Outside in the fresh air makes it too tempting to go for a casual stroll. Lol.

Thanks for the advice though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Really all you're doing is running and cycling, so I can't see any problem with it. If things hurt, stop. Other than that, no, you're not in any serious danger of killing yourself. Don't forget you can take the treadmill and bike as quickly or as slowly as you like.

If you don't mind me asking, though, why the hell are you going to the gym to run and cycle? Do that outside for free in the fresh air! :eek:
    It also depends where you live. In many urban areas (certainly around me) the 'fresh' air will do you more harm than the running does good. It's like smoking a couple of cigarettes every time you go down it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Cage)
    It also depends where you live. In many urban areas (certainly around me) the 'fresh' air will do you more harm than the running does good. It's like smoking a couple of cigarettes every time you go down it.
    Well, going to the gym is like inhaling a couple of fat guys every time you go into it.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.