The Student Room Group

Muslim and starting to doubt my religion

I was born and raised Muslim. The faith has a lot of good things about it.

However recently, I am starting to have doubts. I'm not as religious as I used to be. Particularly being a female, I find some parts of Islam extremely sexist.

For example women have to cover up, men can take up to 4 wives, Muslim women must only marry Muslim men, underage girls are allowed to marry as soon as start puberty ,women aren't allowed to leave the house without a male relative, women will make up the majority in hellfire because they are ungrateful to their husbands , sex slaves are permissible during war, woman's testimony often counts half of a man's testimony, women inheritance half that of a man, a woman must always obey her husband etc.

But I've read up on all the above and I do appreciate some of them give good reasons as to why. But one thing I can't get over is the fact our prophet Muhammed (pbuh) married Aisha (r.a) when she was only 6 years old. The reason I've heard include those were the times it happened a lot then, She contributed to the spread of Muhammad's(pbuh) message and served the Muslim community for 44 years after his death, the marriage not being consummated until she had reached puberty at the age of nine or ten years old etc. It's really hard for me to overlook.

But seriously if some joe public did that everyone would find it disgusting. What makes it a problem for me is that men are meant to follow the sunnah of the prophet. This means it's ok for Muslim men to take underage bride. It happens a lot in Afghanistan, Pakistan etc.

I'm just starting to lose my faith a little and it is mostly to do with its attitude towards women.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by LovelyEyes
FAITH is a good thing if IT GIVES YOU PEACE and LOVE that we are all seeking.
If it doesn't give you that. LEAVE......

However recently, I am starting to have doubts. I'm not as religious as I used to be. Particularly being a female, I find some parts of Islam extremely sexist.

ISLAM is sexist since Mohammed himself was sexist (like many if not ALL men).
Why are they sexist and want to control women? Because they are themselves INSECURE.
They know that WOMEN have the power to be independant from MEN. And that's something they are scared.

For example women have to cover up, men can take up to 4 wives, Muslim women must only marry Muslim men, underage girls are allowed to marry as soon as start puberty ,women aren't allowed to leave the house without a male relative, women will make up the majority in hellfire because they are ungrateful to their husbands , sex slaves are permissible during war, woman's testimony often counts half of a man's testimony, women inheritance half that of a man, a woman must always obey her husband etc.

All those things were created to make women "property of men".
If GOD is sexist.......For me it's not GOD who said something like that. I'm sure it was MEN who did it in His name for themselves.
I believe in a JUST and FAIR God.
If you read the Bible, JESUS CHRIST defended WOMEN from sexism and inequality.

But I've read up on all the above and I do appreciate some of them give good reasons as to why. But one thing I can't get over is the fact our prophet Muhammed (pbuh) married Aisha (r.a) when she was only 6 years old. The reason I've heard include those were the times it happened a lot then, She contributed to the spread of Muhammad's(pbuh) message and served the Muslim community for 44 years after his death, the marriage not being consummated until she had reached puberty at the age of nine or ten years old etc. It's really hard for me to overlook.

You may find my words offensive but Mohammed created all of those things FOR HIS OWN DESIRES.....not God's desires.
Many times Mohammed used ALLAH to justify HIS OWN SEXUAL DESIRES. Which is absurd FOR AN HOLY GOD to accept something like that.
Allah who is ready to send "unbelievers" in hell just for not knowing Him, but AGREE to PLEASE THE SEXUAL DESIRE of his prophet......
Do you really think that GOD doesn't care about the SITUATION OF WOMEN in this world?

But seriously if some joe public did that everyone would find it disgusting. What makes it a problem for me is that men are meant to follow the sunnah of the prophet. This means it's ok for Muslim men to take underage bride. It happens a lot in Afghanistan, Pakistan etc.

I'm just starting to lose my faith a little and it is mostly to do with its attitude towards women.

ISLAM is not a religion of PEACE, LOVE, TRUTH and JUSTICE. Islam is a religion of MEN (giving power to men, satisfying the desires of men, rewarding only men, loving only men).
It says that MUSLIMS MEN will have HOORS ( women of paradise) while Muslims women won't have.

If GOD doesn't know JUSTICE, He can't be God. Or maybe the MAN (Mohammed) who pretend to talk for Him was a liar.

__My advice to you is "Ask GOD, the TRUE GOD to help you. Don't trust MEN (who love women, sex, money,.....) they glorify themselves.
ONLY JESUS CHRIST is a GOOD PERSON.......CALL JESUS CHRIST FOR HELP.

When you have a problem or are in danger CALL JESUS CHRIST to save you

Dude, you're advertising.
Hi,

For many Muslims who grow up in western society it can be challenging to preach gender equality while adhering to a religion which has complete disregard for women and young girls. Indeed, you only have to take a look at Muslim-majority countries to appreciate the horrendous misogyny that is ingrained as part of Islamic culture, namely in conservative Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia where women can't drive and even in more progressive Muslim countries like Tunisia where less than 30% of women are in work. In places like Yemen and Oman it isn't atypical for a man to have multiple wives and to force young girls as young as 9 into marriage. The patriarchy may be misused in western society, but in Islam the oppression of women on the basis of their gender is commonplace, even here in Europe. A poll which came out a few months ago shows that 39% Muslims - as a collective in Britain - believe that a woman should always obey their husband.

If you are submissive of Islam because it's the religion your parents have made you follow from birth, then I'd advice you to do some research and form an opinion by yourself. Too many people follow religions blindly and that's a very dangerous mandate to follow because it makes people ignorant to reality and reason. I'm an atheist - and in a few years so will be most of this country. Don't be afraid to challenge your views and leave Islam if it's not for you.

Hope I helped,

Jake
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
X

The first thing is for you to decide whether you believe in a god, and whether you believe Allah to be the only real one.

If the answer to both of those is yes, then it's simply a case of conceding that whatever Allah has decreed must be moral, even if it is not palatable to your own sense of justice. But if you've decided that there are no gods or at least that Allah isn't one, then the logical position to take is 'I don't know', until you figure out what exactly you believe.

Also, despite what you may be told, consulting an imam, a person with an obvious vested interest in stopping people from leaving Islam, is a bad idea. :rolleyes:

Good luck. :beard:
(edited 7 years ago)
SIGH. I lost my religion during adolescece, I missed and wanted a God and ended up severley depressed.

Now I just say **** it. I'M my own God, I don't need him to tell me what's right and what's wrong. I don't need an afterlife, I like the fact that what happens when you die is unknown so I can spend my life searching before I make a final judgement. I like the paradox of life because of the fluctuation of positive and negative, we need these things to be human beings. I'm a much stronger person than I used to be so I'm glad I left.

"...Causal determinence. We are hard wired to need answers... The problem is when we don't find a logical answer, we settle for a stupid one. Ritual is what happens when we run out of the rational."
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
I don't think Islam is only unfair to women, it's unfair for men too. Easy way to lose determine if you have faith or not is read some of the "facts" in the Qu'ran that are incorrect and decide which ones you believe. http://falseislam.org/#A

If you believe the incorrect statements then you are brainwashed and stupid. If you don't believe them, then you are not a muslim
Original post by jake4198
Hi,

For many Muslims who grow up in western society it can be challenging to preach gender equality while adhering to a religion which has complete disregard for women and young girls. Indeed, you only have to take a look at Muslim-majority countries to appreciate the horrendous misogyny that is ingrained as part of Islamic culture, namely in conservative Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia where women can't drive and even in more progressive Muslim countries like Tunisia where less than 30% of women are in work. In places like Yemen and Oman it isn't atypical for a man to have multiple wives and to force young girls as young as 9 into marriage. The patriarchy may be misused in western society, but in Islam the oppression of women on the basis of their gender is commonplace, even here in Europe. A poll which came out a few months ago shows that 39% Muslims - as a collective in Britain - believe that a woman should always obey their husband.

If you are submissive of Islam because it's the religion your parents have made you follow from birth, then I'd advice you to do some research and form an opinion by yourself. Too many people follow religions blindly and that's a very dangerous mandate to follow because it makes people ignorant to reality and reason. I'm an atheist - and in a few years so will be most of this country. Don't be afraid to challenge your views and leave Islam if it's not for you.

Hope I helped,

Jake

PRSOM. What you said there is fab
Organised religion is simply mind control. Outside of organised religion, it is always reasonable to follow what makes you feel happy, as long as is no harm to others. Islam is just a belief structure (with significant variation within it), like the others. But you know... you can make your own mind up...
Original post by DYoverDX
SIGH. I lost my religion during adolescece, I missed and wanted a God and ended up severley depressed.

Now I just say **** it. I'M my own God, I don't need him to tell me what's right and what's wrong. I don't need an afterlife, I like the fact that what happens when you die is unknown so I can spend my life searching before I make a final judgement. I like the paradox of life because of the fluctuation of positive and negative, we need these things to be human beings. I'm a much stronger person than I used to be so I'm glad I left.

"...Causal determinence. We are hard wired to need answers... The problem is when we don't find a logical answer, we settle for a stupid one. Ritual is what happens when we run out of the rational."

I appreciate when a House quote is fitted in here and there! :smile:

Omgsh.
If the religion isn't making you happy leave but also pray for guidance.

Bro my advice would be first go out and research everything that you have stated about islam properly. If you still don't believe in the religion than leave it. Good luck :biggrin:
Original post by jake4198
Hi,

Hope I helped,

Jake

Islam isn't sexist to women..do more research. There's a reason for everything...do you know why (those things u listed above) are the way they are?
Islam is a religion of peace and is the right way...if you become more religious, seek knowledge with a good and right condition...you're faith will come back. Faith is a fluctuating thing...everyone has doubts one time or another..it's human nature. Overcome your 'nafs' and the Shaytaan.

Why you trolling fam? Selectively picking and choosing.
Its normal to have doubts with a religion that you've been brought up with from birth. Do some more research on Islam to see if it really is for you. Take your time, you don't have make up your mind overnight. Hopefully you'll find peace with whatever decision you make :smile: (coming from a muslim)
Good.

True enlightenment is leaving such mythology behind.
Its normal to have doubts with a religion that you've been brought up with from birth. Do some more research on Islam to see if it really is for you. Take your time, you don't have make up your mind overnight. Hopefully you'll find peace with whatever decision you make :smile: (coming from a muslim)

I don't think she's real. Shes trying to make her religion look oppressive to her. Heres are some things you haven't considered. The husband's duty is to love, clothe, provide, show care, speak softly, comfort, compliment and love his wife. He is religiously obliged to satisfy his wife in bed regardless of whether he has been satisfied himself and even after reaching orgasm. He has to respect her rights and treat her body with respect - he isn't allowed to have sex with her before foreplay, he isn't allowed to force himself onto her. He isn't allowed to engage is anal sex = bad for health, unhygienic and painful. He isn't allowed to have her sex with her during her periods. Sounds very oppressive to me.
Original post by sulaimanali
Islam isn't sexist to women..do more research. There's a reason for everything...do you know why (those things u listed above) are the way they are?

There's no point in doing any research with a 'there must be a reason for everything' mindset - if one is going to knowingly hold a confirmation bias of that kind, then one might as well settle for blind faith on the grounds that it produces the same outcome, but with much less effort.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't think she's real. Shes trying to make her religion look oppressive to her. Heres are some things you haven't considered. The husband's duty is to love, clothe, provide, show care, speak softly, comfort, compliment and love his wife. He is religiously obliged to satisfy his wife in bed regardless of whether he has been satisfied himself and even after reaching orgasm. He has to respect her rights and treat her body with respect - he isn't allowed to have sex with her before foreplay, he isn't allowed to force himself onto her. He isn't allowed to engage is anal sex = bad for health, unhygienic and painful. He isn't allowed to have her sex with her during her periods. Sounds very oppressive to me.

Love how you ignore what she has written about underage sex, child marriage, number of wives and etc

I think most guys here have managed to work out everything you are talking about without converting to Islam.

What you have written is so ridiculous that you made yourself anonymous.
(edited 7 years ago)