The Student Room Group

Children's Nursing 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aliyakhan12
yes I am, I've got an interview next week!!! I'm so nervous 😩

I have my first maths and English test next week too ! And they get marked on the spot and if I pass I then go straight to the interviews! I'm so nervous! So much to try and remember!

Good luck your be fine ! ..xx
Reply 201
Original post by chloe_p_e
Received an interview for Cardiff last night!! It was in my junk mail! thankfully i checked it. Its an MMI so does anyone have any tips? They don't specify on the email a lot about it! Thankfully i have one of the interviews before they start interviewing again after the new year!

Congratulations! When did you apply? I've not heard anything and I'm so nervous as Cardiff is my first choice :frown:
Original post by emx11
Congratulations! When did you apply? I've not heard anything and I'm so nervous as Cardiff is my first choice :frown:
I applied on the 4th of November. My interview is the first interview date for children's nursing. Think the next ones are after the January deadline and then they also have them in March also so you have plenty of time yet to hear back :smile:. I applied early as they said at their open day they will be interviewing before Christmas. Cardiff is also my first choice!
Reply 203
Original post by chloe_p_e
I applied on the 4th of November. My interview is the first interview date for children's nursing. Think the next ones are after the January deadline and then they also have them in March also so you have plenty of time yet to hear back :smile:. I applied early as they said at their open day they will be interviewing before Christmas. Cardiff is also my first choice!

Ah I applied on the 7th, terrified I won't be interviewed!
Unconditional offer from Uclan.... Accepted!! Yeah I'm off to uni in September !
Original post by Shaft284
Unconditional offer from Uclan.... Accepted!! Yeah I'm off to uni in September !

Well done that's great news!
Reply 206
Original post by Shaft284

How did the interview go? Well done, you did it. All the best for your future
Hi Everyone! I'm currently in my first year at Northumbria University in Newcastle studying Child nursing and I love it. If you need any advice on interviews/personal statements or any questions just let me know. I'm more than happy to help. Most of my interviews went bad and I wish I had someone to guide me through the process, so ask away if you have any worries. Best of Luck! :smile:
Original post by georgialouise7
Hi Everyone! I'm currently in my first year at Northumbria University in Newcastle studying Child nursing and I love it. If you need any advice on interviews/personal statements or any questions just let me know. I'm more than happy to help. Most of my interviews went bad and I wish I had someone to guide me through the process, so ask away if you have any worries. Best of Luck! :smile:

Hi Georgia! How are you finding your first year?? I have my first maths and English testing. And interview on Wednesday!! Two days time! I'm so nervous! Any advice on the interviews ?? And MMI's??
Jemma xx
Reply 209

Hi Georgia, Im glad you're enjoying the course. Your interview at Northumbria must have went well. Which other uni's did you apply to?
Reply 210

I have my northumbria interview tomorrow any tips?
Original post by Elisees
I have my northumbria interview tomorrow any tips?

ah really thats fab, well done girly! A few tips would be to dress quite smartly, I wore a black swing dress with tights and a dressy duster jacket with a scarf. Make sure you have some knowledge on the NHS and nursing, especially children, in the media (hot topic atm is obesity, diabetes and diet, I would go to town on that!)

All the different qualities and skills of why you want to be a nurse, mention the 6 cs of nursing. A really good tip that helped me would be to mention and skill or quality then relate it to something in your personal statement/experience so your backing your answer up with evidence so they don't pick on you. for example I think I used Empathy/Understanding when being a mentor to lower years in my school and communication skills when on experience in an autistic school where communication can be a struggle. Child nursing is very much family centered so mention any experience there.

I know its short notice but have some knowledge on Northumbria its self. So the University is big on research, offers placements at excellent hospitals in the north east and abroad, clinical skills center has a really good reputation and that northumbria has a 98% employablity rate so really good for nursing.

Lastly, make sure you have a few questions at the end of the interview to keep them on their two and to show interest
Thats all I can think of from the top of my head. In my interview there was no maths test just an english one so I'm not sure if yours will be the same, but the english test was no bother.
Anymore questions give me a shout, Hope this helps you!
the biggest piece of advice I could give you is to just be yourself, my northumbria interview was my most scariest and the one i was most nervous for (plus I was late to the interview due to traffic so that didn't help my nerves) but they make you feel so comfortable!

Just be chatty and yourself and you'll nail it!
Good luck!!!
Original post by kyras
How did the interview go? Well done, you did it. All the best for your future

The interview was very informal (more like a chat!!) and the maths and English test were very straightforward. I received my offer 6 days after interview.
Original post by JBowman
Hi Georgia! How are you finding your first year?? I have my first maths and English testing. And interview on Wednesday!! Two days time! I'm so nervous! Any advice on the interviews ?? And MMI's??
Jemma xx

Hi Jemma! I love it! I'm having the best time and learning loads. The work load is quiet heavy even in first year. Ah really, thats great well done!
The biggest piece of advice I can give you is just to be yourself. Everyone says this and its so hard to be yourself when your nervous and trying to make a good impression but honestly the interviewers just want to get to know you as a person so just being chatty and being interested is a good start.

In the MMI's its important to get the balance right. I would say make sure you talk in discussions and don't just sit there and be quiet, share ideas and thoughts but be careful of talking too much and dominating the discussion. Use the group interviews to show off some skills they may ask you in your one to one interview like communication. Things like nodding and agreeing with your group members, smiling, laughing and waiting for a pause before talking after someone are really good tips when trying to get the interviewer to focus on different skills you may have.

In terms of Maths and English tests, the only thing I can say is not to panic or worry to much. Its nothing too hard especially the english one. The maths however, I struggle with even basic things. My interview at Northumbria didn't have a maths test so think I was saved there. But I know some unis like Manchester and Liverpool where i had interviews (and failed them) have maths tests which i found hard. But, the interview is about you, it shouldn't be if your good or bad at something, its an interview so you're bound to be nervous so I wouldn't worry to much on the tests I would focus more on just impressing the interviewer personally.

Have some knowledge on the NHS and nursing (child, adult, mental health) in the news/media and also do your homework on the uni itself so look up if its a research university, placements, employability rate for graduates. When mentioning skills and qualities back it up to your personal statement! this shows you have experience and is the skills/quality you have gained from that experience. Relate these also to the 6cs of nursing. If you have time try and shead some light on the NHS values and the NMC code of conduct but its not too important at this stage.

Have a few questions to keep them on their toes and to make you look interested. Any will do.

I hope this helps! Just be yourself, chatty and try not to worry to much. I thought my interview went awful and I got the place straight after being rejected from my other 4 choices, so Northumbria was my last shot. So sometimes you'll surprise yourself.
Good luck, you'll be fine!
Original post by kyras
Hi Georgia, Im glad you're enjoying the course. Your interview at Northumbria must have went well. Which other uni's did you apply to?

Hello! I love it, its such a good course to choose, I would recommend it and northumbria to everyone!

I was so surprised I was not expecting to get in at all. I was preparing myself for clearing. The interview went ok, but I was not in the right frame of mind on the day, I had no sleep the night before meaning I slept in and was 10 minutes late for the interview for traffic. I had 4 other interviews before my northumbria one and all of them came back with unsuccessful offers, so it was all riding on northumbria so my nerves were all over the place. I have no idea what I did right, it only proves the interviewer want to get to know you on a personal level so the biggest piece of advice i can give you is to be yourself, to be chatty and to seem intrested in the course, the uni, nursing and the city/place its in.

I applied to Edge hill (unsuccesful) Liverpool John Moores (unsuccessful) Salford Uni (unsuccessful) Northumbria and Edinburgh Napier University (withdrawn, interviews weren't until late April!)
where have you applied too?
Any more advice let me know!
Hope this helps!

Ditto this offer of help - I'm a qualified children's nurse :smile:
Reply 216
Hello! I love it, its such a good course to choose, I would recommend it and northumbria to everyone!

I was so surprised I was not expecting to get in at all. I was preparing myself for clearing. The interview went ok, but I was not in the right frame of mind on the day, I had no sleep the night before meaning I slept in and was 10 minutes late for the interview for traffic. I had 4 other interviews before my northumbria one and all of them came back with unsuccessful offers, so it was all riding on northumbria so my nerves were all over the place. I have no idea what I did right, it only proves the interviewer want to get to know you on a personal level so the biggest piece of advice i can give you is to be yourself, to be chatty and to seem intrested in the course, the uni, nursing and the city/place its in.

I applied to Edge hill (unsuccesful) Liverpool John Moores (unsuccessful) Salford Uni (unsuccessful) Northumbria and Edinburgh Napier University (withdrawn, interviews weren't until late April!)
where have you applied too?
Any more advice let me know!
Hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice. I've applied to Birmingham city, uni of Birmingham, Keele, Northampton and Teesside. I've got an interview for Teesside already in January. I really wanna go Birmingham city or Keele :smile:.
The uni's are asking for a second reference. I've only had jobs which were temporary so the employers didn't get to know me that well. I could go to my current work experience at a nursery for one? Would that be okay? Did you need a second reference, and if so what did you use?
Thanks
I have applied for De mont Fort (Leicester), uni of Birmingham, uni of Nottingham, Keele and Kings College London. I have had my interview with De month Fort and waiting for the reply. But I have 3 other interviews in the same week with Bham, Nottingham and Kings

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 218
I have my Southampton Interview tomorrow, anyone else?
Reply 219
Original post by habouya
I have applied for De mont Fort (Leicester), uni of Birmingham, uni of Nottingham, Keele and Kings College London. I have had my interview with De month Fort and waiting for the reply. But I have 3 other interviews in the same week with Bham, Nottingham and Kings

Posted from TSR Mobile

How long did it take for Birmingham to get back to you? And has Keele offered you a interview yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending