Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wondered if anyone could advise me.

I recently interviewed for a job as an animal technician, they asked me if I could drive, I assumed this was due to the remote location and as I had my test booked in for a week later I just told them I had my license but then I failed my test....

they offered me the position which I have accepted thinking that they wouldn't need to know I cant drive anyway however I just received the terms and conditions of employment, it says that in the employment handbook there is a driving at work policy, I dont have the employment handbook yet but to me that suggests I might need to drive?

When they called a few days ago they said on my first day to bring either my passport or drivers license, whichever I prefer which again suggests that maybe I can just not tell them... I don't know if the driving at work policy is just a general thing and not specific to my role or not. I should of just been honest from the beginning, if I tell them now they are unlikely to hire me I think, then again if I get there and they ask for my license I'm screwed as well.... What should I do? Tell them? Just carry on and hope they don't?

Thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by moon14)
    Wondered if anyone could advise me.

I recently interviewed for a job as an animal technician, they asked me if I could drive, I assumed this was due to the remote location and as I had my test booked in for a week later I just told them I had my license but then I failed my test....

they offered me the position which I have accepted thinking that they wouldn't need to know I cant drive anyway however I just received the terms and conditions of employment, it says that in the employment handbook there is a driving at work policy, I dont have the employment handbook yet but to me that suggests I might need to drive?

When they called a few days ago they said on my first day to bring either my passport or drivers license, whichever I prefer which again suggests that maybe I can just not tell them... I don't know if the driving at work policy is just a general thing and not specific to my role or not. I should of just been honest from the beginning, if I tell them now they are unlikely to hire me I think, then again if I get there and they ask for my license I'm screwed as well.... What should I do? Tell them? Just carry on and hope they don't?

Thanks
    Ring them up and tell them you failed your driving test. Tell them when you have it re-booked for, and ask if this will make a difference, because you have seen that there is a driving policy.

It might make a difference to their willingness to hire you, if the need to drive pertains to some emergency or welfare protocol. However, they might be prepared to wait, provided to pass your test within your probationary period (or similar).

Had driving been some mandatory part of the job requirement, they would have probably asked how long you had had your licence for, what you had driven in the way of vehicles etc.

They asked for you to bring a driving licence or passport just because they are recognised forms of identification. Nothing to do with driving per se.

ReputationRep:
    From your posts it's hard to tell if driving really will be a requirement of the job. As a 'driving at work' policy could just outline the rules around driving to and parking at work, or how to claim expenses for petrol if you have to drive on the job, even if it's not relevant to your role. And asking for a passport or driving licence on the first day is just standard. Was being able to drive in the job description? If not why would they save it for the job interview? If you has said 'no' would they have just ended the interview?

Sometimes in interviews I ask candidates if they drive. Sometimes I'm just making small talk. Sometimes it's because I know they live in an area where it would take a long time to get to work using public transport and i'm thinking ahead if that's going to be an issue. As you said they're in a remote location that's probably why they asked. They might be aware of issues with public transports that they want to make non-driving candidates aware of, or they could have had issues with employees in the past who get public transport and are constantly late.

If driving was part of the role i think they would have asked something more along the lines of "Do you have a clean driving license". "Do you own your own car?". Not just a vague "Do you drive?". If your first day is really soon like tomorrow, I would just go and casually mention that you planned to be able to drive but you failed your test. If you have an opportunity to speak to them before hand then bring it up then.

Honestly if it was a job requirement i think they would have been much clearer about it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.