Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking on these comparison sites for the cheapest insurance premium without a black box for my 1.2 Corsa SXI and it's been coming up with £1800. I've been changing the details and I changed the answer to 'how long have you held your license for' to a year as I had originally been putting the answer to 11 months as that's how long I have had my license. After putting a year I found that the cheapest insurance without a black box was now £1100, most insurers dropped their premiums by anywhere from £400 - £800. I'm not sure as to what I should do now? Should I get temporary insurance for a month until I get to the 1 year threshold of holding my license? Should I phone up the insurers and tell them about this and see what they can do for me?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MannyS94)
    I've been looking on these comparison sites for the cheapest insurance premium without a black box for my 1.2 Corsa SXI and it's been coming up with £1800. I've been changing the details and I changed the answer to 'how long have you held your license for' to a year as I had originally been putting the answer to 11 months as that's how long I have had my license. After putting a year I found that the cheapest insurance without a black box was now £1100, most insurers dropped their premiums by anywhere from £400 - £800. I'm not sure as to what I should do now? Should I get temporary insurance for a month until I get to the 1 year threshold of holding my license? Should I phone up the insurers and tell them about this and see what they can do for me?
    Try looking for temporary policies, but they might be very expensive so you might not save as much as you think. Some places will have minimum age requirements so make sure you read that very carefully - they might want you to be 21 or 25 and not be as upfront about this as you'd hope.

The best option might just be to not use your car for a month, or to see if you can share your parents' car. You might find you can get added to an existing policy on a car a lot cheaper than getting your own policy. If you do this you are then limited as you can only use the car when the owner isn't, but how much do you need a car in the next month? Are you sure you won't be able to get a lift, walk, cycle, use the bus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Try looking for temporary policies, but they might be very expensive so you might not save as much as you think. Some places will have minimum age requirements so make sure you read that very carefully - they might want you to be 21 or 25 and not be as upfront about this as you'd hope.

The best option might just be to not use your car for a month, or to see if you can share your parents' car. You might find you can get added to an existing policy on a car a lot cheaper than getting your own policy. If you do this you are then limited as you can only use the car when the owner isn't, but how much do you need a car in the next month? Are you sure you won't be able to get a lift, walk, cycle, use the bus?
    Yeah i've tried to look at temp policies but they aren't willing to offer me it due to my age unfortunately. I don't really need to use the car much in the next month so it isn't that much of a problem.. it'll just be very annoying seeing my car outside my house for a month and not being able to drive it :/ I think I should try phoning up some insurers and see what they are willing to offer?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.