Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to have fans, however I am worried about weather or not I should use my username or my real name.

I plan on writing game reviews,pieces of writing to build my portfolio for the career I want after uni, so it would be logical to use my real name? However, I would like to post my work here, and I am worried that beause my name is well known this would pose a privacy concern?

Is my mind playing tricks on me (self doubt)? Username or real name? What do you guys use.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Username, for privacy reasons.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Personally I use my real name, but don't generalise it to my identity... if you're worried about your privacy, DEFINITELY use your username/pseudonym.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    If it's on your own or a professional website for that kind of stuff I'd use your real name, I wouldn't use your real name to post on a forum though.

ReputationRep:
    On here I use my real name as my user name so I'm fine with using either.
    (But srsly you're less likely to get people stalking your private social life if you use your username)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Username, for privacy reasons.
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Personally I use my real name, but don't generalise it to my identity... if you're worried about your privacy, DEFINITELY use your username/pseudonym.
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    If it's on your own or a professional website for that kind of stuff I'd use your real name, I wouldn't use your real name to post on a forum though.
    (Original post by BobSausage)
    On here I use my real name as my user name so I'm fine with using either.
    (But srsly you're less likely to get people stalking your private social life if you use your username)

Hey guys thanka for the feedback. This isnt a professional website yet, just a blog for me to write about stuff to form a portfolio for the career I will apply to during uni and after.

I was thinking about posting it here so I could get feedback thats why I am worried about my real name as my first name is quite rare .

But I dont even have a username thats me tbh

ReputationRep:
    Usernames.

They allow you to build your own brand.

For example, Jon Doe* Isn't as memorable as Crystalyne

*not my real name. lol.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's in all your best interests to use an online handle. When your real name is available online your privacy becomes an issue. And if you become successful your privacy matters more than ever.

Using your real name does not at all relate to using the work in a portfolio. You can simply say you wrote works under X online username.

At the end of the day privacy is a huge issue. You don't want to become popular and have people sniffing out all sorts of information from a social media account you had years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Now the goal is to find a username that I can associate with

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.