Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Could people here (perhaps current students) tell me how the extra subjects you choose in the first year work?

I mean, how much of your extra subjects do you study?

Also, why are the requirements lower for the extra subjects than they would be if you were applying for that degree in some cases? (as you would be studying some of the same material).

Oh, and what does 'Independent Studies' involve?

Also, perhaps people can reccommend what kind of extras you should do, and give some more information about them? Should you choose extras that complement your degree, or that are very different so that you have a diverse profile.

For the degree i'm interested in (International Relations and Strategic Studies) you choose two extra subjects in the first year.

Thank you!

Below are the options:

Part I Course Registration Requirements
    (Note: these are not degree scheme entry requirements)
    Accounting and Finance* GCSE Maths (B), English Language (C)
    American Studies -
    Applicable Mathematics GCSE Maths (C)
    Applications of Economic Analysis* -
    Art in the Twentieth Century -
    Biological Sciences* At least one A-level science and grade Cin GCSE Maths and English
    Chemistry At least one science or Maths A-level
    Combined Science Dependent on options chosen
    (Science and Society)
    Computer Science Grades of CCC at A-level and grade C in GCSE Maths and English
    Creative Writing* A portfolio of written work
    Criminology -
    Digital Multimedia -
    Earth Science GCSE Maths and English Language
    Economics* -
    Engineering A-levels in Maths and a physical science
    English Language A-level grade C in English Language or a modern/classical language
    English Language and the Media A-level grade C in English Language or a modern/classical language
    English Literature A-level grade B in English Literature
    Environmental Science GCSE Maths and English Language
    Ethics, Philosophy and Religion -
    European Studies -
    Fine Art: Practice and Theory A portfolio of practical work
    French Studies A-level French for advanced option; evidence of language
    (intensive or advanced) leaning ability for intensive option
    Geography GCSE Maths and English Language grade C. A or AS level
    Geography normally required
    German (intensive or advanced) A-level German for advanced option; evidence of languagelearning
    ability for intensive option
    History -
    History, Philosophy and Sociology -
    of Science
    Independent Studies -
    Information and Communications GCSE Maths grade C
    Technology
    Italian Studies (intensive) Evidence of language-learning ability
    Law Normally A-level grades of AAB
    Linguistics -
    Management GCSE Maths (C)
    Management and Organisation GCSE Maths (C)
    Marketing A-level grades of BBB; GCSE Maths and English grade B
    Mathematics A-level Maths grade C (or equivalent)
    Mathematics for Engineers A-level Maths
    Media, Film and Cultural Studies -
    Medieval and Renaissance Studies -
    Music Normally A-level music or grade 8 or audition/practical test Music
    Technology Not available to non-majors
    Operations Management GCSE Maths (C)
    Operational Research GCSE Maths (C)
    Philosophy -
    Physical Geography A or AS level Geography normally required; GCSE Maths grade C
    Physics A-level Maths and Physics
    Physics: Physical Systems A-level Maths
    Physics: Physics Skills Any science A-level
    Physics: Physics Studies Science or Maths A-level plus a good GCSE in two science
    subjects and Maths
    Physics: Universe as an Art -
    Politics -
    Psychology* GCSE Maths (C)
    Psychology in Education* GCSE Maths (C)
    Religious Studies -
    Social Work Not available to non-majors
    Sociolinguistics -
    Sociology -
    Spanish Studies A-level Spanish for advanced option; evidence of language-learning
    (intensive or advanced) ability for intensive option
    Theatre Studies* A-level grades of BBB; audition
    Women’s Studies -

*Quotas may apply

ReputationRep:
    bascailly its like doing 2 extra subjects. So at A level you do 3 subjects, its the same theory as that!

On your timetable you will have lectures for your major subject and then the 2 "minor" subjects with seminars for all. You will get set work from all of them, and its the exact same course that the people as a major are doing (or at least for most things it is)

I don't think you need any requirments for the minors, i don't really understand why, but you can choose what you want, i belive!

Independant studies is unnessicary in first year :P Well mostly
    its all the extra reading that no-one does, and like "for every hour in a lecture theatre, you should do an hour of your own work" all that rollocks!

You can do what you want, what you are interested in, or just ones that your mates are doing.
    The good thing is to wise carefully as if you hate your major, i belive you can take any minor as a major in years 2 and 3. Such as Floss is doing (i think)

Its completly your choice what to pick, all courses have good and bad points, just depends what you wanna do really.

Hope my strange ramble and pondering'ness helps answer the questions!

ReputationRep:
    You can choose whatever you want to do - some of the minors have entry requirements but most do not. Some people choose subjects that are similar to their major, others choose something completely different for a bit of variety. So you might go for things like Politics, Economics etc or opt for something you have never tackled before. Most people I know have opted for something related eg Englsih/Creative Writing, Maths/Physics/Computing etc.
    AFAIK Independent Studies is exactly that, you decide what you want to study and do it on your own with a tutor supervising and assessing you.
    You study each subject in the same way - as if it were your major - and alongside people who are doing it as their major. You all have the same workload.
    You need to get 40% in all three subjects to pass Part 1 and progress to Part 2. You can change one of your minors into your major at the end of Part 1 if you find you prefer it or you are better at it.
    Part 1 (first year) in all subjects is quite basic anyway so it does not really matter whether or not you have previous knowledge of it.
    The reason that you need higher entrance requirements for your major subject is that the work in that subject will get much harder in Part 2.
    Hope this helps and makes sense. It really is not as complicated as it all sounds when you first start.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, you can choose either one or two minors to study along with your major subject (or none in some courses e.g. environmental chemistry!)

Some of these minors will let you change to major in your 2nd year if you prefer it over your current major such as Criminology, though not all of the courses allow that e.g. Universe as an art, so you have to be careful when choosing them if you think you might want to change course later on.

Also, some minors will be exactly the same as the majors, so can lead to a lot of work. The typical example being Law (Which is very intensive and hard).

Another thing to consider is the general difficulty of your minor e.g. Computer Science as a minor is very different to what people first think, so we have had many drop-outs this year. So be careful in what you choose!

Hope some of this helps!

ReputationRep:
    is there a website listing all the lancaster minors? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voopeem)
    is there a website listing all the lancaster minors? :p:
    They're listed in the first post of this thread.

ReputationRep:
    er... oops :p:
    sorry, i'm very sleep deprived right now

ReputationRep:
    wake up vooopy!

ReputationRep:
    wow.. not so loud :p:
    had a party last night and I still haven't recovered, with the work and all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizj)
    AFAIK Independent Studies is exactly that, you decide what you want to study and do it on your own with a tutor supervising and assessing you.
    Could you give me any more information about it? I know I will given more information about the extra subject options nearer the time, but i'm just curious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agamemnon)
    Could you give me any more information about it? I know I will given more information about the extra subject options nearer the time, but i'm just curious.
    Sorry, I don't know a great deal about this and I don't know anyone who does it. I did look into it before I came to Lancs and it was all a bit vague. Something to do with "how to learn", research and project work in groups if I recall correctly. Perhaps another student might know more - someone who has done it perhaps?
    I think it is designed for people who want total flexibility in one of their minors, but you can not do it as a major.

ReputationRep:
    does combined science follow this kinda major minor themes?

and i thought minors were less work than majors?

ReputationRep:
    No, minors are not less work than majors. They are the same workload for everybody. This can be a bit of a shock if you have chosen something you think is going to be a doss!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolybear)
    does combined science follow this kinda major minor themes?

and i thought minors were less work than majors?
    I'm not sure on the combined science.

Minors are usually less work because some subjects modify the course modules slightly if it's a minor. And also, it can be less work because sometimes your major is 2 subjects worth, and you only take 1 minor...like for example, Maths was my major and it was worth 2 subjects and I did Psychology for another one.
    It usually seems less of a deal because you're not as bothered about your minor too.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 15, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.