Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!
    I'm looking to buy a new laptop for college. There is a jungle out there and I feel overwhelmed by all the different specifics etc. I am using an old laptop today, I think it is Acer.
    Will be using it to write essays, watch Netflix. No Games!! My budget is limited (of course). I dont have that "techie" friend either.. Made some searches and came up with different comparisons. If someone at the forum can point out if any of these college laptops are the deal for me I would be so grateful

A million thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredrikmeller)
    Hey there!
    I'm looking to buy a new laptop for college. There is a jungle out there and I feel overwhelmed by all the different specifics etc. I am using an old laptop today, I think it is Acer.
    Will be using it to write essays, watch Netflix. No Games!! My budget is limited (of course). I dont have that "techie" friend either.. Made some searches and came up with different comparisons. If someone at the forum can point out if any of these college laptops are the deal for me I would be so grateful

A million thanks!
    What's your budget?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What exactly is your budget?

For writing essays, streaming Netflix and web browsing a low end device with an i3 processor and 8GB of RAM would be ideal. You could get something with a lower end processor (e.g. Intel Celeron) but that bit extra power is nice. 8GB of RAM is pretty much the standard low end now, 4GB will work but you may run into complications.

Are there any other factors that are important to you? Long battery life? Portability and weight? Storage capacity? Screen size and resolution?

The generic go to for this type of laptop is something like a HP Pavilion. Look for an older model with a gen 4 or gen 5 processor (processor number will start with a 4 or 5 respectively) and avoid the newer generation machines. For example this model:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...37876-pdt.html

and this model:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...46528-pdt.html

are fairly similar but the older model is cheaper.

£329.99 is a reasonable price for what you want and unless you want to go for something older, preowned, etc. you won't find much cheaper. HP are a reputable brand (I trust them far more than Acer) and while the laptops linked are pretty low end they suffice for what you want. If you're willing to spend a bit more you can get something higher end.

Of course the other question is do you really need a new laptop? What is wrong with the Acer you are using? If it works do you need an upgrade? Will these machines even be much of an upgrade? If possible let us know what Acer laptop you are using now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.