The Student Room Group

How long do you have to complete your degree?

My 19 year old son is at local college. He has just finished the BTEC HNC in Health and Social Care and will be starting the HND in Sept. Unfortunately the course does not have enough modules for the HND to be equivalent to two years of an Honours degree, only one. So if he were to want to top up his HND to an Honours degree in the future he would have to start at uni in year two. However after his HND he has no interest in topping up to an Honours degree. Not yet anyway. I understand there is a time limit of so many years on how long you can take to complete your degree. Does anyone know how long he would have from finishing the HND [hopefully !!] to completing his Honours degree at university? Thanks.
Original post by markova21
My 19 year old son is at local college. He has just finished the BTEC HNC in Health and Social Care and will be starting the HND in Sept. Unfortunately the course does not have enough modules for the HND to be equivalent to two years of an Honours degree, only one. So if he were to want to top up his HND to an Honours degree in the future he would have to start at uni in year two. However after his HND he has no interest in topping up to an Honours degree. Not yet anyway. I understand there is a time limit of so many years on how long you can take to complete your degree. Does anyone know how long he would have from finishing the HND [hopefully !!] to completing his Honours degree at university? Thanks.

Different places have different limits, for example for open uni i believe it's between 6 years and 16 years for credit transfers.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Different places have different limits, for example for open uni i believe it's between 6 years and 16 years for credit transfers.

Oh thanks. We live in Northern Ireland, if it helps. But do actual different unis all apply their own policies,or is the time limit a uniform thing ?
Original post by markova21
Oh thanks. We live in Northern Ireland, if it helps. But do actual different unis all apply their own policies,or is the time limit a uniform thing ?

I believe its relatively uniform but not 100% sure on it.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
I believe its relatively uniform but not 100% sure on it.

Many thanks for your help.
Reply 5
I just contacted Ulster University, which is where he would most likely go, if anywhere. They said you have up to ten years, which refers to the time between completion of his HND and it being used as a valid entry criteria for application to year two of the Honours degree [in Health and
Social Care Policy in my son's case].

Quick Reply

Latest