Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

English "class system"- do you believe in it? watch

ReputationRep:
    The English love their classes...so they say.
    Would the UK be actually better off using a communist type regime? Equality for all? No rich or poor? What class would you say you were; working, middle, upper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charters)
    Would the UK be actually better off using a communist type regime? Equality for all? No rich or poor? What class would you say you were; working, middle, upper?
    classes are too present in society to get rid of them we need to just accomodate them. i'm just upper middle i guess. private school and nice house and car, but i'm not spoilt :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hester)
    private school and nice house and car, but i'm not spoilt :P
    thast what they all say

ReputationRep:
    but as we can see in the cases of Russia, Korea, China etc, pure communism does not work, as there is a lot of scope for individual corruption/abuse of power.

by abolishing the class system, we risk losing what distinguishes us from our freedom loving, stick your nose in someone else's business for the sake of equality and freedom cousins across the atlantic.

would you rather see UK just turn into another USA, with accents being the sole distinction between the two countries?

ReputationRep:
    the classes don't really exist anymore, whether people want them to or not. people can change between different financial statuses (sp) quite easily these day- education has caused this change

ReputationRep:
    I actually am quite happy with being hmmm actually very well off, the class system is great for me. What about the people on the other end, I think its ludicrous I have everything liturally and how they call a carboard box home!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    the classes don't really exist anymore, whether people want them to or not. people can change between different financial statuses (sp) quite easily these day- education has caused this change
    well, i think they still do. i was at paddington 2 saturdays ago, during henley royal regatta. you could see who were the classy people, and who weren't.

money can obviously elevate your status in society, but it still doesn't mean you move up a class socially. the prime example being the beckhams or the many rich celebs who have working class roots, and still pursue the same tabloidy interests despite being as wealthy as most of the established wealthy folk.

ReputationRep:
    working class

equality for all, HAHA!

how can you comapre richard branson and some lazy overweight umemployed idiot along the same lines.

ReputationRep:
    Idiot, so you not heard the term fat cat, drinking the old whiskey and cigar.

If we didint have our class system then we wouldnt be held back and stuck with the low economic grwoth rate we have compared 2 other G8 countires.
    Funny really my lectuer was talking about this and how Germany + France brought down this post WW2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blood & Honour)
    If we didint have our class system then we wouldnt be held back and stuck with the low economic grwoth rate we have compared 2 other G8 countires.
    Explain further, I'm interested.

---

My own view is, you need to be clear what classes are really doing, inequality in society should keep people on their toes and trying to elevate themselves into a better situation. But classes don't really create this kind of mobility, in fact they just enforce the idea that you're limited from birth to a certain way of life. So whilst there's nothing wrong with having the rich and the poor, people shouldn't be limited to one side by social conventions (e.g. accents, social standing, networks). That's the english class system for you and it rather stinks.

ReputationRep:
    The aristocracy are one of the reasons we have class distinction in this country, in much the same way as the 'caste' system in India.

Take countries like the USA and Australia. The overwhelming majority of people in these two countries are just average people who through hard work have achieved an enviable level of comfort in their lives. They do not consider than any other person is more deserving of deference simply by birth advantage. Ask Sire about 'mateship' in Oz and how it doesn't involve class. They don't brag that they have a nice big car, a good income or went to a private school because those things are not important in making them feel they are more superior - they know these things do not make them thus.

I believe that as we evolve into a nation that respects others for what they have been able to achieve - and that we wish to emulate - class matters will cease to matter and will be eroded.

Or am I too idealistic?

ReputationRep:
    I believe in it just through coming on here

Life is class-driven – the competition between species of varying quality. Same for economics. Same for society.

Communism is nihilistic in that it seeks to make all equal by making all nothing, worthless. It undermines life as it undermines it's core principle of change, of evolution, of difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ubermensch)
    Life is class-driven – the competition between species of varying quality. Same for economics. Same for society.

Communism is nihilistic in that it seeks to make all equal by making all nothing, worthless. It undermines life as it undermines it's core principle of change, of evolution, of difference.
    Are those your own thoughts or are they derived from studying the opinions of philosophers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddiedaboss)
    working class

equality for all, HAHA!

how can you comapre richard branson and some lazy overweight umemployed idiot along the same lines.
    "lazy unemployed idiot"? I didnt know this was a thread about the Royal Family.

(Original post by yawn1)
    Are those your own thoughts or are they derived from studying the opinions of philosophers?
    They are influenced by a certain philosopher in particular, yes, but not a simple parrot repetition by any means. We're all influenced by others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    but as we can see in the cases of Russia, Korea, China etc, pure communism does not work, as there is a lot of scope for individual corruption/abuse of power.

by abolishing the class system, we risk losing what distinguishes us from our freedom loving, stick your nose in someone else's business for the sake of equality and freedom cousins across the atlantic.

would you rather see UK just turn into another USA, with accents being the sole distinction between the two countries?
    it could be quite successfully argue that the US is also classed based, and that its largely a myth that its classless.

ReputationRep:
    Idiot, so you not heard the term fat cat, drinking the old whiskey and cigar.

Funny really my lectuer was talking about this and how Germany + France brought down this post WW2
    we dont have a low growthrate compared to other G8 countriues. just look at figures for the past decade or so. its quite clear the UK has shrugged off the sick man of europe identity. france and germany are far worse off in terms of economic growth

ReputationRep:
    Well since i had just gone thrugh it that day i feel VERY strong about this, do you not accept these facts?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Well since i had just gone thrugh it that day i feel VERY strong about this, do you not accept these facts?
    Obviously no one can argue with that.

I think that the class system is bad too - people should earn the right to have money, etc and not simply be born into it. Yes the competition is good but where is the competition for people that are born as millionaires.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.