Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can you stop an eating disorder before it gets worse? watch

    • #1
    • Thread Starter

    Since I was about 13 I've had issues with food (I'm 18 now). For now I still live at home so eat what my mum cooks me but otherwise on a normal day when I'm out and about I won't eat all day so I can either eat loads when I get home or just not eat at all.

    I constantly worry about what I eat and if I'm exercising enough to burn it off or lose calories. I feel bad when I eat a full meal and usually can't finish one but can easily binge on snacks then feel bad after.

    This has come back again recently as me and my bf have been having issues and I've been home alone for 10 days.

    Eating anything unhealthy disgusts me and makes me feel bad after. I gained weight recently on my chest and hips as I was an athletic type build until about a month ago.

    Can I stop it before it gets worse without going to a doctor? My mum is a psych nurse so she can't know because she'll just think I'm beyond saving as everyone at her work always is, or so she says

    You are 18 so you could go to your doctor - and it looks to me as if you do need some support with this- and your doctor can't divulge what information you share with him/her.
    You should make an appointment and the doctor will advise you and point you in the direction of getting help.
    You are an adult and your mother should be supporting you with this as her child.
    I think you know there is a problem. Sort it out and I hope it gets better for you. One of my grandchildren had similar issues and she is fine now, but she did need help.

    people with full blown anorexia can come back from it so you certainly can, it might help to have some support in dealing with whatever issues are making you turn to food to cope
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2016
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.