Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I was born a Muslim but both my parents are not really committed to the religion (basically just following it bc their parents followed it). They occasionally pray or fast. The only things they really do are eat halal meat and don't drink. I used to be the same however I've been researching about Islam more and more and I want to become more practicing. I was born a Muslim but I haven't been raised a Muslim. I knew nothing about Islam before researching it. I'm still unsure on the correct etiquette around prayer. I know quite few Surahs and I know how many rakats to pray for each prayer and I know when to pray each prayer. I don't know what duas to read in prayer though? What are you supposed to say when you start and what are you supposed to say when you're sitting between the two rakats??? Are there any other duas I should be aware of?? Pls help I'm too embarrassed to ask any of my Muslim friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was born a Muslim but both my parents are not really committed to the religion (basically just following it bc their parents followed it). They occasionally pray or fast. The only things they really do are eat halal meat and don't drink. I used to be the same however I've been researching about Islam more and more and I want to become more practicing. I was born a Muslim but I haven't been raised a Muslim. I knew nothing about Islam before researching it. I'm still unsure on the correct etiquette around prayer. I know quite few Surahs and I know how many rakats to pray for each prayer and I know when to pray each prayer. I don't know what duas to read in prayer though? What are you supposed to say when you start and what are you supposed to say when you're sitting between the two rakats??? Are there any other duas I should be aware of?? Pls help I'm too embarrassed to ask any of my Muslim friends
    Hey
    You shouldn't be ashamed about asking your Muslim friends. They would surely help you out if they were a Muslim at heart.

During your second rakat (when you are seated) you read
    At Tahiyyaatu lilaahi was Salawaatu wat tayibaatu As Salaamu 'alaika ayyuhan nabiyyu wa rahmatul laahi wa barakhaatuh
    As Salaamu 'alainaa wa 'alaa 'ebaadillaahis saaliheen
    (at this point raise right forefinger) Ash hadu allah ilaah ilallah wa ash hadu anna Muhammadan 'abduhuu wa rasuuluh.

I'm not too sure about your other questions so I suggest you ask on the I-SOC (Islamic Society) here
    HAnwar

I recommend this video. I went through a phase of not praying and then forgot parts of the prayer. I used this video to correct myself. It looks and sounds like a childish video but I assure you it's quite good

ReputationRep:
    Just a word of advice: post any queries you have on ISOC, they are all so nice and extremely helpful! Especially: ThatMuslimGuy , HAnwar , Zamestaneh and h333. m'A these lot are very knowlegable in a wide variety of topics in Islam.

And Dw, I asked the same question on salah not too long ago there and got a reassuring answer.

Feel free to pm if you need any help!

ReputationRep:
    Salam
    I will give you a detailed response later on today Insha Allah, I'm just a bit busy atm, apologies

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Use this inshaAllah:

I will give you more information when I get on my laptop (on my phone atm). Btw it's good you are asking questions, and never feel shy or ashamed that you don't know because everyone starts somewhere If you ever need more help on other things, feel free to PM me.

ReputationRep:
    As Zamestaneh said you don't need to feel ashamed at all, there is always a starting point. You are always welcome to the the ISOC to share your problems or ask questions or feel free to PM
    Insha'Allah you will feel better.

ReputationRep:
    Asalamualaikum,

I would recomend using this guide:

http://www.muslimnow.com/learn/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.