Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just finished 1st year and I've got a choice, I can either carry on with my dual degree programme or I could change to a single honours degree. Either way I'll be able continue into level 2. I'd appreciate it if I could get some opinions about the following modules (from those of you that have already taken them!). Thanks

MGT211 Intermediate Management Accounting
    MGT212 Financial Management
    MGT225 Intermediate Financial Accounting

My main concern is, are these courses quite theory-heavy (qualitative) or is there an emphasis on problem solving? I ask this because I'm considering changing to Maths :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Essence™)
    Just finished 1st year and I've got a choice, I can either carry on with my dual degree programme or I could change to a single honours degree. Either way I'll be able continue into level 2. I'd appreciate it if I could get some opinions about the following modules (from those of you that have already taken them!). Thanks

MGT211 Intermediate Management Accounting
    MGT212 Financial Management
    MGT225 Intermediate Financial Accounting

My main concern is, are these courses quite theory-heavy (qualitative) or is there an emphasis on problem solving? I ask this because I'm considering changing to Maths :eek:
    MGT212 with Bill Lee is a theory heavy course but you'll need that theory to be able to solve the numerical problems.
    Learn the methods and do loads of past papers and you'll be fine.

Bill Lee is a really good teacher and it was a good module for me.

Would recommend MGT225 with Ken Moore, more than MGT211 with Frank Birkin. I had to do both when I did my course, but 211 I found some of the theory quite airy-fairy; whereas with 225 there are clearly defined rules, and once you've learnt the theory of the rules; a large amount of which you'll go through with thorough examples in lectures; then you'll again just be able to practice.

Ken Moore is also a far better lecturer than Frank Birkin, the latter of which I didn't rate at all.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, thanks for that, I think I might stick it out and carry on with my current degree programme. It appears that I'll be taking all three modules if I stick with the dual degree - they're worth 20 credits each.

So really my choice is either taking the management courses or dropping the subject completely in exchange for six additional modules from SoMaS. If you like, I'm trying to "maximise my chance of success" at level 2. I fear taking twelve Maths units may be a bit of an overkill for me.

ReputationRep:
    How'd the exams go for you? I found all the accounting modules a bit scary, so I've swapped to Management for this year! Which dual degree are you doing? x

ReputationRep:
    Exams were alright thanks, passed them all anyway - that's all that matters, how did they go for you?
    For my dual degree I'm doing Accounting and Financial Management and Maths, I agree with you about the accounting modules, I find it hard to believe I'm making progress. By that I mean I've passed the year but I haven't been able to "balance" a balance sheet since october! (well sometime in the autumn semester anyway).

Now that you've switched to management, which modules will you be doing? I don't think I would be allowed to switch to management even if I wanted to since I haven't done marketing.

ReputationRep:
    I passed all of the Spring semester ones. Failed marketing, probs should have spent the night before revising rather than watching the Big Bro finale but nevermind.

Eugh balance sheets are bad enough, and don't even get me started on cash flow!! Ummm modules I'm doing...

MGT226 Human Resource Management
    MGT219 Organisational Behaviour
    MGT220 Consumer Behaviour
    EAS112 Society and Religion in East Asia
    MGT214 Project Management and Operations
    MGT228 Principles of Operations Management

How about you? And I think you do need marketing to do management. Hows the maths side? Used to love maths at Alevel, accounting isnt really mathsy enough though

ReputationRep:
    226, 219 and 220 are tres hard!!

ReputationRep:
    The three modules I'm taking from the Management School are 211, 212 and 225, these are the core modules for Acc. and Finance so I've got no choice. I found the Maths side really interesting and mentally stimulating so that's why I considered switching. As it stands, on the Maths side I'm doing two core modules and four statistics modules!

I think the problem with 1st year was that I never managed to divide my time equally between the subjects.

ReputationRep:
    man...i failed the marketing and 118 one. got two resits.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 16, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.