Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not posting this anonymously as it's quicker this way, and at the moment I'm not that bothered with anonymity.

Over the past few days I've had a persistent low mood, along with all-too-familiar symptoms of depression. All of this had stopped early this year when I had gotten better (supposedly) and got on with life.
    Now it's the summer, and I'm doing and getting many things that I want. I don't have any major worries, and lately I've received numerous compliments about my hard working attitude and a drive to succeed, that sort of thing. This is the bit I don't understand. Despite all this, I feel unhappy. And this annoys me, because it makes me feel like I'm being ungrateful, rude, pathetic and like I'm always creating a problem. Why can't I just be happy? I thought these days were in the past. I don't want to reach out to people I know, because I don't want to become a burden again, or to ruin things the way they are. I suppose what I'm asking is if anyone knows any solutions, par going to the doctors. Sorry for going on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    I'm not posting this anonymously as it's quicker this way, and at the moment I'm not that bothered with anonymity.

Over the past few days I've had a persistent low mood, along with all-too-familiar symptoms of depression. All of this had stopped early this year when I had gotten better (supposedly) and got on with life.
    Now it's the summer, and I'm doing and getting many things that I want. I don't have any major worries, and lately I've received numerous compliments about my hard working attitude and a drive to succeed, that sort of thing. This is the bit I don't understand. Despite all this, I feel unhappy. And this annoys me, because it makes me feel like I'm being ungrateful, rude, pathetic and like I'm always creating a problem. Why can't I just be happy? I thought these days were in the past. I don't want to reach out to people I know, because I don't want to become a burden again, or to ruin things the way they are. I suppose what I'm asking is if anyone knows any solutions, par going to the doctors. Sorry for going on.

Know how you feel and a good Idea is to try and think about what makes you happy and why you are feeling sad, are you missing your friends due to not seeing them every day at school? you could try and arrange to go out. or are you more of a alone type person, try and find some films or books you want to read, anything that makes you happy.

But you do need to remember for most people happiness is not constant otherwise it would just be normal, just like the saying about having Christmas every day it would be boring.

You could also find a new hobby to get yourself into and hopefully you can find some fun there.

Sorry for the late reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    Know how you feel and a good Idea is to try and think about what makes you happy and why you are feeling sad, are you missing your friends due to not seeing them every day at school? you could try and arrange to go out. or are you more of a alone type person, try and find some films or books you want to read, anything that makes you happy.

But you do need to remember for most people happiness is not constant otherwise it would just be normal, just like the saying about having Christmas every day it would be boring.

You could also find a new hobby to get yourself into and hopefully you can find some fun there.

Sorry for the late reply
    Thanks for your help. Things have been slightly better recently, I've been finding things to distract myself. I think a part of me misses my friends, I'm not really an "alone" person but when I feel down I shut people off and tend to be alone, even though that's not really what I want..

I understand totally what you mean about happiness, however the reason these feelings are bothering me is because I've had them before and they're similar to depressive symptoms, linked to periods where I'd be unhappy for months.

But thanks for your reply, hopefully you'll feel better soon if you currently feel like this

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.