The Student Room Group

*Self Studying A-levels and Apprenticeship*

Self Studying - Can I Do It???
:work:Well, hello there!:work:

Just A Quick Note:
I chose the apprenticeship and decided to try and self-teach A-levels, although this is probably going to take me longer than the traditional 2 years, but we will see!

Edit (5/5/17): I am no longer aiming to self teach A-levels this year, but instead focus on the exams we have at work which will determine which path we can take

Edit of the edit (18/5/17): I'm now going to be focusing on A-levels again. Let's just say, my exams are now over, so I have plenty of free time to get my head down and get studying, so why not make the most of it?!

Intro:

Let me introduce you to this, and it may need explaining to some of you. Basically, I've just finished GCSEs like many of you and I am about to go into Year 12. However, here's the thing - I don't know where or whether I will be doing A-levels full time (although I will have decided by the time terms start - see below). Either way, I am determined to get A-levels, especially in Maths and Further Maths, but also in Chemistry and Physics.

If any of you followed my GCSE GYG thread (which can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511&p=62790051#post62790051), then do let me know and hopefully you will find this thread useful! The GCSE thread also explains a lot about my background so just have a quick read of the OP to fill in the gaps :smile:

As with the last thread, anyone with advice for me, or previous experience, please do get in touch and offer your valuable opinions/stories. Likewise, if anyone needs help or wants to know anything about me, then feel free to ask!

And one other thing, I know that this is being made in Summer, and there will be some of you who tell me to "enjoy my summer" but I am doing that too, just studying as well, and fitting studying around my general holidays - not the other way round :smile:

Oh yes, and I mustn't forget to thank all the incredible people who helped me through GCSEs and I would tag them all but I don't want to miss anyone off, so you all know who you are!!

Previous grades:

Spoiler

About Me:
So, unlike the plan in my last GYG thread, I didn't become the first in my family to take the route of college and then university, as I chose an apprenticeship. I've got a few medical bits and bobs like eczema and all that, but it's all good fun! :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brainzistheword
:work:Well, hello there!:work:

Let me introduce you to this, and it may need explaining to some of you. Basically, I've just finished GCSEs like many of you and I am about to go into Year 12. However, here's the thing - I don't know where or whether I will be doing A-levels full time (although I will have decided by the time terms start). Either way, I am determined to get A-levels, especially in Maths and Further Maths, but also in Chemistry and Physics.

If any of you followed my GCSE GYG thread (which can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511&p=62790051#post62790051), then do let me know and hopefully you will find this thread useful!

As with the last thread, anyone with advice for me, or previous experience, please do get in touch and offer your valuable opinions/stories. Likewise, if anyone needs help or wants to know anything about me, then feel free to ask!

And one other thing, I know that this is being made in Summer, and there will be some of you who tell me to "enjoy my summer" but I am doing that too, just studying as well, and fitting studying around my general holidays - not the other way round :smile:

Oh yes, and I mustn't forget to thank all the incredible people who helped me through GCSEs and I would tag them all but I don't want to miss anyone off, so you all know who you are!!

Yay! You've made it :h: Good luck xx
Original post by nisha.sri
Yay! You've made it :h: Good luck xx

Haha thank you! Hopefully everyone on here should help keep me accountable for my studies :smile:
01/08/16
I've started studying again - only briefly, though.

Today I basically watched Chemistry videos on YouTube and then did Atomic Structure from the Physics revision guide just to get back into a rhythm again.

(I've added this to my official blog too - under the tab 'Personal Studies' > 'A-level studies' - in-case anyone is interested!)

My blog can be found here! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
30/10/16

Wow, okay, so I haven't updated this for a while, but as I have a few minutes spare, I see no reason why I shouldn't let you all know how I've been getting on.

I decided not to do A-levels full time (although this could easily change if my current route doesn't work), so I'm self-teaching them all and trying to fit it in around other commitments.

In maths, I've been looking at:
Quadratics, Logs/Algorithm Theory, Simultaneous Equations, Log Graphs, Equations of Lines, Indices.

In Physics:
Kirchoff's Law, Newton's Laws of Motion, Circular Motion, Simple Harmonic Motion, Moments, Stress, Strain, Vectors and Forces, Resistors, Internal Resistance
30/10/16
Wow, okay, so I haven't updated this for a while, but as I have a few minutes spare, I see no reason why I shouldn't let you all know how I've been getting on.

I decided not to do A-levels full time (although this could easily change if my current route doesn't work), so I'm self-teaching them all and trying to fit it in around other commitments.

Quadratics, Logs/Algorithm Theory, Simultaneous Equations, Log Graphs, Equations of Lines, Indices.

In Physics:
Kirchoff's Law, Newton's Laws of Motion, Circular Motion, Simple Harmonic Motion, Moments, Stress, Strain, Vectors and Forces, Resistors, Internal Resistance

Ah so you haven't completely abandoned a levels then :smile: how are you self-teaching them and how will you be assessed in them (particularly in physics with the required practicals)? Glad to see everything's working out for you though!

(now hurry up and move on to waves in physics so you can help me!! :tongue:)
Original post by NiamhM1801
Ah so you haven't completely abandoned a levels then :smile: how are you self-teaching them and how will you be assessed in them (particularly in physics with the required practicals)? Glad to see everything's working out for you though!

(now hurry up and move on to waves in physics so you can help me!! :tongue:)

Oh no definitely not giving up on them, although I haven't worked out how I'm going to get them assess but you only have to give 6 months notice to a centre so I have time to explore my options.

Thank you! And ooh waves - haven't come across them yet but seen as you've mentioned them I might take a look at them next :smile:
Oh no definitely not giving up on them, although I haven't worked out how I'm going to get them assess but you only have to give 6 months notice to a centre so I have time to explore my options.

Thank you! And ooh waves - haven't come across them yet but seen as you've mentioned them I might take a look at them next :smile:

Ahh fair enough then, what resources are you using to learn?

Yeah...they're not my favourite :redface: particle physics is so much more interesting!
Ahh fair enough then, what resources are you using to learn?

Yeah...they're not my favourite :redface: particle physics is so much more interesting!

At the minute it's just the CGP books, even though I can't stand the jokes!

Particle physics is good, I just love all the astrophysics stuff when I can get on to it :smile:
At the minute it's just the CGP books, even though I can't stand the jokes!

Particle physics is good, I just love all the astrophysics stuff when I can get on to it :smile:

I'm using the physics CGP book but for maths I'm just using the Solomon worksheets from physics and maths tutor. I also hate the jokes!!

Ah i love astrophysics too, hopefully I'll get to do that as the optional module next year :biggrin:
I'm using the physics CGP book but for maths I'm just using the Solomon worksheets from physics and maths tutor. I also hate the jokes!!

Ah i love astrophysics too, hopefully I'll get to do that as the optional module next year :biggrin:

Ah I see, I'm aware of Solomon papers but I haven't had time to look at them yet :smile:
30/10/16

In Physics:

Ah well done ! So are you going to do apprenticeship ? And a big well done for self teaching :biggrin:
Ah well done ! So are you going to do apprenticeship ? And a big well done for self teaching

thankyou and yes I'm doing the apprenticeship :smile:
Just a little note:

So as I've not been as productive as I thought yesterday, I'm going to outline my plan for today on here so there is a bit more accountability involved and hopefully that should mean that I stick to it:

Make notes on simple harmonic motion
Research aluminium production
Print off some A-level past papers
Turn some of my notes into Flashcards
Go over log theory and do practice questions

I also want to limit the time I spend on my iPad again, as I've found myself getting lost in games and the time just passing me by. So, I'm going to set a timer that only lets me stay on a screen for a maximum of 30 minutes, unless I'm doing research and then this doesn't count.

Oh yes and another thing, I'm going to start updating daily again from now on so that I can actually see any progress (if any) I'm making as I go along :smile:

(If you're following this thread and haven't yet said hi, please do as I'd love to chat to you :biggrin:)
Just a little note:

So as I've not been as productive as I thought yesterday, I'm going to outline my plan for today on here so there is a bit more accountability involved and hopefully that should mean that I stick to it:

Make notes on simple harmonic motion
Research aluminium production
Print off some A-level past papers
Turn some of my notes into Flashcards
Go over log theory and do practice questions

I also want to limit the time I spend on my iPad again, as I've found myself getting lost in games and the time just passing me by. So, I'm going to set a timer that only lets me stay on a screen for a maximum of 30 minutes, unless I'm doing research and then this doesn't count.

Oh yes and another thing, I'm going to start updating daily again from now on so that I can actually see any progress (if any) I'm making as I go along :smile:

(If you're following this thread and haven't yet said hi, please do as I'd love to chat to you :biggrin:)

Yayy !! I can't wait to read your blog everyday :h: And i get distracted with youtube and stuff as well for me it's my phone so I need to put it in another room and forget about it :biggrin: Good luck for today x
Yayy !! I can't wait to read your blog everyday :h: And i get distracted with youtube and stuff as well for me it's my phone so I need to put it in another room and forget about it :biggrin: Good luck for today x

Thank you! My updates definitely won't be as detailed as yours have been (they're amazing by the way). And yes, technology can be great for studying but also hinder it. :biggrin:

Thanks again and good luck with your revision :smile:
Explanation

I've just realised that I haven't exactly explained much about what I'm going to be doing, seen as the OP was written before I decided which route to take.

So I've taken an apprenticeship where we will work towards a BTEC and we will be doing FE for this each week, but not as heavy as if I were doing A-levels. If I can find the time, I am going to try and work towards some of my A-levels through self teaching and possibly distance learning in the future, as it may help me find a centre to sit the exams.

This leads me on to the next bit. Some of you will wonder how I'm going to sit the exams and practicals, and to be brutally honest, I haven't even sorted this myself - yet. At the minute I am just focussed on getting some of the content learnt, as I will be pushed for time anyway. By the way, I'll be aiming to get maths and possibly further maths under my belt first, with chemistry and physics next in line.

If, in my updates, you see (FE) next to it, this means it is part of the BTEC but if it doesn't have this, then it's just for my own learning. There will be times when the two overlap, which should be rather helpful

And as I said in the OP, if anyone can lend a helping hand, do let me know, I'd be so grateful. But if you need help, particularly with GCSE, then let me know and I'll be happy to help :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
5th November

Oops, there was me saying I'd update daily and then I go and forget!! I'm going to blame the darts for that - couldn't resist watching every match :biggrin:

Anyways, I did manage to print off some chemistry notes which should help me self teach this, as I haven't yet gotten the books for this subject. I used an app on my iPad to write out notes on Simple Harmonic Motion with all the equations and everything, as well as Simple Harmonic Oscillators.

For the FE side of things, I've typed up the basis of my assignment with all the questions written up, so I'll try to get some information found for this, although it isn't due until next month, and therefore it isn't a big priority.

I'll try and remember to update next time haha :smile:
5th November

Oops, there was me saying I'd update daily and then I go and forget!! I'm going to blame the darts for that - couldn't resist watching every match :biggrin:

Anyways, I did manage to print off some chemistry notes which should help me self teach this, as I haven't yet gotten the books for this subject. I used an app on my iPad to write out notes on Simple Harmonic Motion with all the equations and everything, as well as Simple Harmonic Oscillators.

For the FE side of things, I've typed up the basis of my assignment with all the questions written up, so I'll try to get some information found for this, although it isn't due until next month, and therefore it isn't a big priority.

I'll try and remember to update next time haha :smile:

Sounds good :smile: don't know how you manage to fit so much in, considering you probably have a lot less free time than i do!
Can i ask what FE stands for?
Sounds good :smile: don't know how you manage to fit so much in, considering you probably have a lot less free time than i do!
Can i ask what FE stands for?

Thank you Niamh! FE stands for Further Education (basically college or equivalent), I'm just using it to distinguish what I need to do and what I choose to do/learn :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest