Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I've been trying to get my head around integration in c3 before i dive into it next year and came across this question

"The curve y=f(x) passes through the point (1,-3)
    given that f'(x) = (2x-1)^2 divided by x, find an expression for f(x)"

The thing that stumps me about me is how there is x's on the top and bottom of the fraction. i was thinking of approaching it using f'(x)/f(x)dx=ln|f(x)| +c

but then i dont know what common factor can be taken out so that if the demonimater is to be differentiated it would be the numerator.

another method i thought of is to separate the fraction to (2x-1)^2 *1/x so then i can get ln|x| and (2x-1)^3/6 +c

But according to Mathway it seems thats not correct so can someone point out what mistake I've done to make myself puzzled? Thanks
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Fruitbasket786)
    Hi,

So I've been trying to get my head around integration in c3 before i dive into it next year and came across this question

The thing that stumps me about me is how there is x's on the top and bottom of the fraction. i was thinking of approaching it using f'(x)/f(x)dx=ln|f(x)| +c

but then i dont know what common factor can be taken out so that if the demonimater is to be differentiated it would be the numerator.

another method i thought of is to separate the fraction to (2x-1)^2 *1/x so then i can get ln|x| and (2x-1)^3/6 +c

But according to Mathway it seems thats not correct so can someone point out what mistake I've done to make myself puzzled? Thanks
    It is not of the form f'(x)/f(x). Something like that would be eg integrating \frac{cosx}{sinx} or more similar to your example, \frac{2x+1}{x^2 + x - 5}.

I'm not sure what you mean by separating - at least, I see what you're trying to do but you can't integrate two things a and b when it's ab, to give the integral of a * the integral of b. This is not necessarily true.

One thing you can do is to look at \frac{(2x-1)^2}{x} and think about a technique you'll most likely have used at AS to manipulate things.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Fruitbasket786)
    Hi,

Or you could just expand he bracket on the numerator and separate that one whole fraction into 3 different ones with x as the denominator for each. (or just go ahead and divide top and bottom by x; giving you a new denominator of 1 so you can ignore it.) 2 of them will divide and integrate nicely, and the other you will need to integrate 1/x but you should know that goes into ln(x). Put a +c at the end and job done. Don't overthink this.

The \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} rule doesn't apply here because x does not differentiate to give (2x-1)^2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Or you could just expand he bracket on the numerator and separate that one whole fraction into 3 different ones with x as the denominator for each. 2 of them will divide and integrate nicely, and the other you will need to integrate 1/x but you should know that goes into ln(x). Put a +c at the end and job done. Don't overthink this.

The \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} rule doesn't apply here because x does not differentiate to give (2x-1)^2
    Didnt realise it would be that straight forward, thanks for pointing that out for me! I would've been sitting for ages trying to do some absurd method to solve it xD

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 30, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.