Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey!!

Because i need as much 'extra curricular' activities on my UCAS form for uni, i'm thinking of doing an 8 hour a week Open univeristy course, critical thinking, and my four AS levels (German, English Lit, Psychology and ICT) and also an Italian GCSE, as well as writing for my school magazine and website and doing film work at my school. (These last 2 will not be a the same time, i plan to study Italian GCSE in one year, and the magazine/ website and the film thing will be in the next year.)

Is this too much or am i being too cautious? I would like to get 3As at a-level to get onto a law course, but i am also aware that i need to stand out from the rest of the law applicants. Therefore, i need a lot on my UCAS form, and i need to work my arse off for the next 2 years to get these As because i'm not the brightest of students, i'm above average, but getting As just doesn't come anywhere near 'natural' to me. So theoretically i need to get the balance right, so i have enough time to get my As and get something i can stand out with. I certainly do not want to jeopardise my chances of getting onto a law course because i have concentrated too hard on extra curricular and have henceforth got A,B,B or something along those lines - which i'll not get on a law course with.

Am i don't too much or am i being too cautious?

any help would be appreciated.

xxxxxxxxx

PS: sorry i've rambled!

ReputationRep:
    Don't do extra-curriculars just for UCAS, do them because you enjoy them and will be able to write about what you've gained from them in your Personal Statement.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Agreed with calcium878. It all sounds great, but seriously, don't do it if you're gonna hate it. It'll be completely obvious you just tried to fit as much in as possible in your last two years, and won't really be that impressive. What's the OU course? Concentrate on your A-levels, do stuff you enjoy as extras, and if you have time to burn then maybe consider taking up stuff that'd look good on your personal statement - definitely do not go all out and do everything you possibly can.

If you like all this stuff then do it all, but really, you're not gonna be able to, you said that yourself... you just won't have the time. You run the risk of jeapordising your chances of getting onto a law course, to put it in your terms. Extra-curricular activities are great, but only if you have the time.

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone..

ReputationRep:
    are you even old enough to do an open univetrsity course as i think you have to be 18 or above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillyvicky)
    are you even old enough to do an open univetrsity course as i think you have to be 18 or above.
    The OU makes exceptions for people under 18 who they are capable of doing the course, for instance all of the NAGTY (National Academy of Gifted and Talented Youth) students at my 6th form were offered the chance to do a OU course.

To OP:
    I think you should be able to manage the academic side of it, but I've one piece of advice, don't miss out on the social life at 6th form, I've just finished my first year and its been the best time of my life, so make sure that with all of the stuff you'll be doing that you'll have time for friends, and try to make sure that you have at least a few free periods a week, they make one hell of a difference.

ReputationRep:
    For law, I'd imagine it would be more beneficial to do things like the Bar National competition (if your school offers it) relevant work experience and wider reading. An OU course, GCSE Italian, writing for your school magazine and website and doing film work are all great, but they don't actually relate to law. Extra-curriculars are only important in that they show you have a life outside studying and they give you skills- they're only going to be really impressive and set you apart from other applicants if they're relevant. It's more important to get AAAA at AS, especially because, as andy7257 said, ICT is blacklisted and psychology not seen as the most respected of subjects by top unis. Personally I'd do one of the OU course and GCSE Italian, but not both, and one of writing for the magazine/website and film work, but not both. Then you should have a bit of time left over for work experience and reading.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty much in agreement with what's already been said.

Don't forget that if you get good marks in your A levels you'll have already demonstrated that you're academically capable, so I'd be tempted to leave either the OU course and Italian GCSE.

Try and get some work experience that relates to Law, and don't forget that there's only so much that you'll be able to put on your personal statement with respect to extracurricular activities so even if you do loads you might not be able to fit it all on your form!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say studying for academic qualifications is an extra curricular activity :rolleyes:

Stick with your film stuff, if you cut out your academic stuff you need to find some more ECs. Just put down your hobbies, as long as you show breadth and depth of achievements (i.e. not just say reading, but reading, cycling, making films, etc and you have achievements in them.

Work experience as well. Go and see if you can get a mini-pupillage or shadow a court clerk/lawyer. At the miminum, spend a week in the Crown Courts watching some cases or the magistrates if you can't get to the Crown courts.

ReputationRep:
    Whoa that's a lot

ReputationRep:
    defo drop the accedemic stuff..especially itallian gcse
    they will be more interested in your actual a levels
    and experience
    experience will make you stand out more

ReputationRep:
    Theres no need to do the OU course it will probably be detrimental to your A levels and wont give you any real advantage.

ReputationRep:
    I've just thought, try to start the OU course on a date that means you'll do the majority of the work after your exams in the summer, that way you'll only have to worry about that, that's what I'm doing, final assignment has to be in the end of this month.

ReputationRep:
    If you will enjoy all you wish to do, then by all means go for it! However if you are doing somethings because you think they will look good then you should rethink! I do loads of things on top of my academic work because I enjoy it and I am motivated to do it to the best of my ability! Sure you'll be rushed off your feet and you may find that sometimes you have little social time (though this is only true when you have major deadlines...but it is the same for everyone) but if you can do it, then try!

ReputationRep:
    Too much, lassie.

Seriously; you'll get 2/3 months through it and feel thoroughly fed up.

If you're not interested in journalism, drop the media/film stuff. Instead, focus on reading the Times law supplement, law-related books and the national news.

OU course? With four A levels and GCSE's? Hmmm...think long and hard. Everything takes up much more time than you think. And don't you want a life as you turn 18!?

Also: psychology and I.C.T?? Don't do it. There are blacklists for law (and fomr some uni's in general). For example, LSE, one of the most respected law courses, will not accept you if you have more than one blacklisted subject, (of which both of your choices are). Don't restrict yourself like that - drop one of those and go for French/History.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laces)
    Also: psychology and I.C.T?? Don't do it. There are blacklists for law (and fomr some uni's in general). For example, LSE, one of the most respected law courses, will not accept you if you have more than one blacklisted subject, (of which both of your choices are). Don't restrict yourself like that - drop one of those and go for French/History.
    Again, psychology is not blacklisted. I agree it's not the most respected of subjects, which I said in my post, but it's misleading to keep telling everyone it's blacklisted when it's not. This is the LSE blacklist:

Accounting
    Art and Design
    Business Studies
    Communication Studies
    Dance/Theatre Studies*
    Design and Technology
    Drama/Theatre Studies
    Home Economics
    Information and Communication Technology
    Law
    Media Studies
    Music Technology
    Sports Studies
    Travel and Tourism

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, thanks for the advice!

I've just completed work-ex in a massive law firm in birmingham and i also did some at a high street firm the year before. I plan to do a lot more in future if i possibly can. I TOTTALLY AGREE that ICT is not a great subject to do, however, i'm strong at it, and enjoy it, and having mentioned a possible swap from ict to something else my parents strongly advised that i didn't! Also, i think, some of you have got the wrong end of the stick thanks to my dire communication skills! I'm doing the normal 4 ASs and then will no-doubt drop ICT at the end of AS level and continue on with Eng lit, German and phsychology at A2. Will this be more considered by the univerisitys? I don't think i'm planning on going to LSE or the like, i can't see myself getting in. I'm planning more in warwick and birmingham.

I consider myself a very able, academic person with a lot of determination to work in the profession of law. I have taken up your advice about reading law papers and magazines, and will definately do this. Secondly, the open university course is a short course of 8 hours a week. I'm still considering whether to do this or not.

As i have said, your advice is much appreciated!
    xxxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lol2003)
    I'm doing the normal 4 ASs and then will no-doubt drop ICT at the end of AS level and continue on with Eng lit, German and phsychology at A2. Will this be more considered by the univerisitys? I don't think i'm planning on going to LSE or the like, i can't see myself getting in. I'm planning more in warwick and birmingham.
    That should be fine because your only blacklisted subject would be ICT and that would only be to AS level, so you'd also have 2 strong subjects and 1 OK subject at A-level. It won't matter as much if you're not applying to unis like LSE anyway because most unis don't care as much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Again, psychology is not blacklisted. I agree it's not the most respected of subjects, which I said in my post, but it's misleading to keep telling everyone it's blacklisted when it's not. This is the LSE blacklist:

Accounting
    Art and Design
    Business Studies
    Communication Studies
    Dance/Theatre Studies*
    Design and Technology
    Drama/Theatre Studies
    Home Economics
    Information and Communication Technology
    Law
    Media Studies
    Music Technology
    Sports Studies
    Travel and Tourism
    Oh for Goodness sake. Fine, it's not blacklisted in LSE's list. It's not like I was mistaken on purpose. But that doesn't mean it isn't everywhere. As you have recognised it isn't the most respected of subjects and doing it if you're doing one of the above won't do you any favours at all. That's all I'm saying.

To summarise: it's not on LSE's blacklist, but it isn't greatly respected. If you're doing another 'softer' subject don't do psych as well. That is all.

ReputationRep:
    Just use tentative phrases such as "next year I plan to complete the duke of edinburgh award". So you're not lying! Also unless you actually think you'll enjoy reading law magazines I wouldn't bother, just say you did

Do you have a job/any work experience that could be useful for law? I've worked since I was 16, 2 years of which were full time so I talked about how it made me able to deal with time pressure etc, it got me 6 offers!

Try and get some work experience in a solictors, I only did a day but it's something..

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.