Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I met this American girl and she was talking to me about being in a sorority and it all sounded very strange and confusing to me. Anyone know what it is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dominoes)
    I met this American girl and she was talking to me about being in a sorority and it all sounded very strange and confusing to me. Anyone know what it is?
    From my purely Brit perspective, it's a selective social group for women (the male equivalent is a fraternity) formed at university. Once accepted as a member, you are based at a sorority house and have access to their accommodation, facilities and support. However it's much more than that and extends past uni. It provides a network of peer support for the rest of your life, be that professional or personal.

The nearest you'd find at a British uni is probably something like membership of an Oxbridge college.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Ever heard the term "frat house"? It's essentially one of those

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That happened to me yesterday lmao!!!

KKG!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ever heard of Google?

Sororities (for girls) and fraternities (for boys) are basically student societies based around a large shared house. You apply to join the fraternity, which usually involves going to the house every day before you start living there, and becoming a kind of 'servant' (called a 'pledge'). You get to hang around with the fraternity members and get to know them for a while, attending some of their parties, but you also have to do anything they say ( wash and iron their clothes, run errands, tidy the house etc). Then after a year, the fraternity has a meeting and decides who they will allow to become full members. They then have an initiation ceremony (some of which can be extremely dangerous, designed to humiliate and shock pledges, to ensure commitment and loyalty to the fraternity), and if the pledges get through that, they become members, and are allowed to live in the frat house for the rest of their time at university.

Each university will usually have multiple fraternities/sororities, and there are many large frats/sororities with houses at multiple universities. Each one is slightly different, and some are more prestigious than others. The big ones have their own offices in New York and Chicago, and run a service for frat members after they leave university, arranging networking events and passing around employment opportunities. Not every fraternity is so organised, but they all provide a ready-made group of friends (plus an associated house of the opposite gender) and they arrange regular joint parties, and provide an informal network of contacts for after uni, with strong ties of loyalty. They are also called 'Greek Letter societies' because their names are mostly made of letters in the Greek alphabet, which derive from abbreviations of Ancient Greek mottos (Alpha Kappa Gamma, Gamma Epsilon Zeta, Zeta Phi Delta, etc.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.