Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I understand that this section is not for hedge funds and trading firms, but I could not find a finance section. Please do direct me to one if it exists!

My question is whether an undergraduate Mathematics and Economics degree, followed by a Master's degree (and maybe a PhD) in Statistical Economics / Mathematical Economics / Financial Mathematics, etc., be an appropriate education for a role in a quantitative hedge fund or trading firm?

Thank you!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by londoncricket)
    Hi all,

I understand that this section is not for hedge funds and trading firms, but I could not find a finance section. Please do direct me to one if it exists!

My question is whether an undergraduate Mathematics and Economics degree, followed by a Master's degree (and maybe a PhD) in Statistical Economics / Mathematical Economics / Financial Mathematics, etc., be an appropriate education for a role in a quantitative hedge fund or trading firm?

Thank you!
    Yes but I wouldn't make your aim of doing a PhD one of getting into quant finance. You really need to enjoy the subject matter in its own right enough to go through a PhD programme and do well in one.

If your aim is to get into quant HFs/trading, I'd look into getting in straight from undergrad or doing a masters.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Yes but I wouldn't make your aim of doing a PhD one of getting into quant finance. You really need to enjoy the subject matter in its own right enough to go through a PhD programme and do well in one.

If your aim is to get into quant HFs/trading, I'd look into getting in straight from undergrad or doing a masters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you have to do a maths/engineering/comp sci degree to get into quant, or would an economics degree (with large mathematical content) be all right?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by oopswronganswer)
    Do you have to do a maths/engineering/comp sci degree to get into quant, or would an economics degree (with large mathematical content) be all right?
    Former is more common but latter could be possible with a masters degree or phd in something more quantitative. You're better off contacting prospective firms about this yourself as it'll vary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for your reply!

I completely understand your point on enjoying subject matter and I really do, I was just wondering whether this could get me into a quant hedge fund.

I didn't know that quants could get into a quant hedge fund from undergraduate level or even Master's? I thought that a PhD was the standard route into the industry and that very few Master's graduates obtain jobs like this.

Thank you!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

I completely understand your point on enjoying subject matter and I really do, I was just wondering whether this could get me into a quant hedge fund.

I didn't know that quants could get into a quant hedge fund from undergraduate level or even Master's? I thought that a PhD was the standard route into the industry and that very few Master's graduates obtain jobs like this.

Thank you!
    Certain quant hedge funds and prop trading firms take on undergrads (Citadel, DE Shaw, Jane Street, Two Sigma etc come to mind) for more trading/strategy specific roles rather than quant research. But, exceptional Masters degree students do get a shot at the latter occasionally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Thank you!
    I spent a summer working for a quant hedge fund, they had internships for undergrads who had a first and were going on to do a Phd, otherwise they recruited at PhD level or above only. There are roles available for undergrads at a lot of firms but you have to be truly exceptional

ReputationRep:
    Certain quant hedge funds and prop trading firms take on undergrads (Citadel, DE Shaw, Jane Street, Two Sigma etc come to mind) for more trading/strategy specific roles rather than quant research. But, exceptional Masters degree students do get a shot at the latter occasionally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Right, I see. Thank you for your help!

(Original post by natninja)
    I spent a summer working for a quant hedge fund, they had internships for undergrads who had a first and were going on to do a Phd, otherwise they recruited at PhD level or above only. There are roles available for undergrads at a lot of firms but you have to be truly exceptional
    PhD level or above? What is above a PhD?

Thank you for the rest of your post. It was very helpful!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Right, I see. Thank you for your help!

PhD level or above? What is above a PhD?

Thank you for the rest of your post. It was very helpful!
    Post doctoral students, professors etc. people paid to do academic research...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natninja)
    Post doctoral students, professors etc. people paid to do academic research...
    Oh right I see. Thanks for your quick response!

Can you PM me the name of the quant fund you worked at please?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.