Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Prospects for gains in the next year? watch

ReputationRep:
    Here is my progress at the moment, I am bulking and I want to keep on bulking for a while but be shredded next year.

Would it be possible to look a decent size (i.e. with good bulk) and be shredded by this time next year? My training has been stop and start but I want to basically look like a bodybuilder.

ReputationRep:
    You're sort of asking a piece of string question without defining more precisely what exactly you want to achieve- my idea of decent size might not be at all the same as your's. I think the closest to an answer you can get is: yes, a year is a good time frame to make visible gains

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of gains to be made in a year, especially if you haven't done much sports at all beforehand as muscle gains are by far the fastest when you first start working out. It then becomes painfully slow.

You're very unlikely to end up looking like a bodybuilder, especially without steroids or the genetics of 1 in a billion/mutant. Steroids are usually a bad idea, and a terrible idea at younger ages. But as previously said, your definition of bodybuilder would likely also be quite different to that of most people.

Make sure you do bodybuilder exercises and rep ranges or else you'll be training for strength (CNS efficiency) rather than for mass. You could try using creatine but some people react quite badly to it. I for one just try and go wholly natural; not even protein powders. It's often better to simply be 100% natural especially if your livelihood doesn't depend on it because with big business, you never really know too well about what bs they put in their stuff, or whether it is a waste of money or not.

Also, beware that once you get used to bulking and eating such foods (and you better make sure it's a clean bulk) it'll be very difficult to go shredding. Unless you're an ectomorph or mesoporph

Really the best thing you can do is read a lot online. And cross reference sources. Watch your form

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caius Filimon)
    Plenty of gains to be made in a year, especially if you haven't done much sports at all beforehand as muscle gains are by far the fastest when you first start working out. It then becomes painfully slow.

You're very unlikely to end up looking like a bodybuilder, especially without steroids or the genetics of 1 in a billion/mutant. Steroids are usually a bad idea, and a terrible idea at younger ages. But as previously said, your definition of bodybuilder would likely also be quite different to that of most people.

Make sure you do bodybuilder exercises and rep ranges or else you'll be training for strength (CNS efficiency) rather than for mass. You could try using creatine but some people react quite badly to it. I for one just try and go wholly natural; not even protein powders. It's often better to simply be 100% natural especially if your livelihood doesn't depend on it because with big business, you never really know too well about what bs they put in their stuff, or whether it is a waste of money or not.

Also, beware that once you get used to bulking and eating such foods (and you better make sure it's a clean bulk) it'll be very difficult to go shredding. Unless you're an ectomorph or mesoporph

Really the best thing you can do is read a lot online. And cross reference sources. Watch your form

Good luck

Hi thanks for the reply, my circumstances have changed, please see my post here:

https://www.tmuscle.co.uk/threads/ad...om-here.29504/

I have ****ed it up big time.

ReputationRep:
    You have got good size already, if you want aesthetics, focus on upper chest and cut your bf a bit more. Good luck mate

ReputationRep:
    James.Carnell you have the lower body and you have no upper body, you got a problem building...wait a minute. You have the upper body, and you have no legs, you got a problem building your legs. You have the upper...you have the lower body and you don't have the upper body, the upper body, it is easier to build. So if you have the lower body and you don't have the upper body, it is easier to build the upper body. You have the upper body and you don't have the legs, you got a problem building the lower body... No, you don't understand. You have the upper body, but you don't have the lower body, you got a problem building downstairs. You got the up- legs on the bottom, it is easier to build on the top, so you don't have much as a problem. Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alextaylor6)
    You have got good size already, if you want aesthetics, focus on upper chest and cut your bf a bit more. Good luck mate

I've ****ed it up, got injured yesterday, disc in the lower back. Heading to my physio tomorrow to assess the damage. Going to try and conserve as much muscle as possible, but it is not looking good. I feel very bad , injuries always take more of a toll mentally than the actual physical pain.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...912&highlight=

Strong

(Original post by James.Carnell)
    I've ****ed it up, got injured yesterday, disc in the lower back. Heading to my physio tomorrow to assess the damage. Going to try and conserve as much muscle as possible, but it is not looking good. I feel very bad , injuries always take more of a toll mentally than the actual physical pain.
    You can't tell that without an MRI

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...912&highlight=

Strong

You can't tell that without an MRI
    This is the third time i have been injured with the back problem. It has delayed a lot. I will enquire about a scan tomorrow.

My long term aim is to go down a road that is forbidden talk on these forums. But i want to be injury free before commiting to that.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by James.Carnell)
    This is the third time i have been injured with the back problem. It has delayed a lot. I will enquire about a scan tomorrow.

My long term aim is to go down a road that is forbidden talk on these forums. But i want to be injury free before commiting to that.
    That means nothing disc wise. It may or it may not. And a physio can't refer you for one.

Anyone's recommendation with regards to vitamin S is to get strong and approach your natural limit, then spend a year learning everything there is to know (there are forums out there for this). You will know how to train and eat and how your body works, currently you don't. Whilst I'm just a random guy on the internet, if you don't know how everything fits together, you're setting yourself up for a fall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    That means nothing disc wise. It may or it may not. And a physio can't refer you for one.

Anyone's recommendation with regards to vitamin S is to get strong and approach your natural limit, then spend a year learning everything there is to know (there are forums out there for this). You will know how to train and eat and how your body works, currently you don't. Whilst I'm just a random guy on the internet, if you don't know how everything fits together, you're setting yourself up for a fall
    For my weight I am at mid intermediate strength level according to the strength standards charts online. I have been trying but progress has been very slow and I have hit plateaus.

Problems I have day to day:
    1. Recovery. Big problem in regards to staying disciplined with regular sleep times
    2. Lack of proactive steps to take in regards to recovery
    3. Lack of warmup/mobility exercises.
    4. Missing meals and not recovering well for the next workout because of that.

So, basically I need to figure out how to get to advanced level strength, and then I will sit down and make a plan with regards to vitamin s.

Number one problem overall... still being passive like a novice when one needs to be more proactive in training/recovery and disciplined. I was still making gains with suboptimal food and sleep as a novice, that is not possible anymore.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.