Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've just finished my first year at uni. I failed 2 of my exams and I've got my resits coming up in a few weeks. Problem is, i'm not really sure this degree is for me anymore. I've been having these thoughts throughout the year but thought i'd at least stick it out till the end of the first year. Now coming up to resits, i'm finding it hard to motivate myself as i'm really sure that'd i'd rather go in a different direction. Would love to get your thoughts on this. What should I do, try and pass my resits and complete the degree? Drop out and change course? Or will this look bad on my CV? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I would take the resits whether or not you decide to continue. If you apply for a different degree, now or at some time in the future, your application will be stronger if you can show that you completed first year. You should also consider the funding aspect. You can get funding from Student Finance for the length of your course, plus one year. As you have used up one year, it's important that you don't go into second year unless you are committed to this course.
    It's not too late to apply for a different degree course starting in September, but you need to make a decision soon.

ReputationRep:
    Hi examiningboard!
    I understand your situation because I have been there. You have three options for this situation: 1) Drop out2) start again, something you really want for your life3) Do not give up making sure, if that is what you want. Both in personal life and professional, the fact that every change is a crisis and forces us to get out of a situation in which we have control and go into the unknown. It is up to you to decide, but it is worth extend the reflection on your interests. In addition, remember, that giving up is not fail.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you drop out then do something constructive in the mean time between a different course it should be okay. Take the resits if you like either way you have not passed. I'm 23 and just finished my 1st year of a levels again and I'm pretty confident and more hopeful now I'm doing what I want! I've still got the same friends that I lived with and we still speak so don't worry too much.

ReputationRep:
    I would stay stick with it for the moment and do the resits bc u may very well change ur mind.
    Have u tried getting any experience?
    This might help in deciding if the course is for u or not x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    this was always my favourite yugioh card

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies everyone.It's a choice not to be taken lightly I know. I've got experience at a large engineering company which is a contributing factor to my thoughts. Not really interested in the course and can't see myself working like this in the future.Obviously i'm aware that an engineering degree opens all sorts of opportunities; I don't just have to go for a job in engineering.I'm taking the resits regardless but I have plans on what to do if I decide to stop my time at uni.Currently looking at apprenticeships as an option; appears to be more suited towards how I want to learn and gain experience.Many thanks again!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.