Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,I've just left year 13 and am going into a gap year. I would like to study aerospace/aeronautical engineering but I don't know if I can as I haven't taken the full physics a-level. I took AS physics though. If i finished the full a-level in my gap year, would that help? I didn't realise I wanted to do engineering until recently but I had dropped physics before that point. I'm also considering chemical engineering.
    The other subjects I took are: biology, chemistry and maths.
    Could anyone give me any advice or suggestions, please?
    Thank you.

**sorry if this isn't in the right section.

ReputationRep:
    I feel you bro. I've also realised that I'd love to do astophysics, however I'm slightyl worses off I think. I haven't done any A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laradutta34)
    Hi all,I've just left year 13 and am going into a gap year. I would like to study aerospace/aeronautical engineering but I don't know if I can as I haven't taken the full physics a-level. I took AS physics though. If i finished the full a-level in my gap year, would that help? I didn't realise I wanted to do engineering until recently but I had dropped physics before that point. I'm also considering chemical engineering.
    The other subjects I took are: biology, chemistry and maths.
    Thank you.

I suggest you have a look at Teesside uni, really renowned for their engineering, they do aerospace and they give people chances. I didn't do any science A2 (besides psychology but that didn't count) and they interviewed me and accepted me for Forensic Science with a preliminary (foundation) year but that's no problem, no other university accepted me even with ABB predicted. I don't think the physics will be a problem at all, check them out, very dedicated and I've heard glowing reports from the engineering graduates. You could definitely get into chemical engineering I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by laradutta34)
    Thank you.

Hey there!

Don't worry, you're in the right section! Any engineering-related questions can be posted in this forum. And on that note, be sure to check out previous posts in this forum - these questions are asked in and out every year so you'll find plenty of useful information.

A good first idea would be to look at university course requirements. Many universities for aerospace/engineering in general will have a set A-level requirement for physics (and maths) in order to be admitted, whilst others won't. Don't hesitate to contact university departments/admissions to ask about the requirements, or if you completing your A-level in your gap year would count. Admission requirements can fluctuate yearly, so it's best to get up-to-date information directly from the university.

Hope this helps,

Scott
    Undergraduate Rep
    School of Engineering

ReputationRep:
    There are also alot of universities that offer an integrated foundation year for students who might not have the "correct" A Levels to apply for the first year outright.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.