Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone I haven't been outside since my 18th birthday in June so roughly about 6 weeks. This isn't the first time I have been inside my house for so long. Anyway I think I might be agrophobic because many, many years ago when I was 7 years old I insisted to go outside wearing a coat (it must have been a hefty one) on a warm summers day, of course me being a kid, I didn't know any better. I started to get looks from people out and about and I think some where pointing and staring, someone might have laughed. And I think that whole incident made me agrophopic. I feel like I am going insane in here. I have no future, no prospects, nothing to look forward to and no friends, but friends are ******** anyway right? Haha, first chance they get they will stab you in the back and want nothing to do with you. Advice please? I think I'm starting to go mad.

ReputationRep:
    Please, go outside its good for your health. Start small first go out to get a takeaway and bring it home. Trust me if you stay inside with no friends you start to feel stressed.

Btw, in London wearing a heavy coat during a hot summers day is considered as cool now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaCenturion)
    Hey everyone I haven't been outside since my 18th birthday in June so roughly about 6 weeks. This isn't the first time I have been inside my house for so long. Anyway I think I might be agrophobic because many, many years ago when I was 7 years old I insisted to go outside wearing a coat (it must have been a hefty one) on a warm summers day, of course me being a kid, I didn't know any better. I started to get looks from people out and about and I think some where pointing and staring, someone might have laughed. And I think that whole incident made me agrophopic. I feel like I am going insane in here. I have no future, no prospects, nothing to look forward to and no friends, but friends are ******** anyway right? Haha, first chance they get they will stab you in the back and want nothing to do with you. Advice please? I think I'm starting to go mad.
    i'd probably see a therapist if i was you to try and combat the issue

ReputationRep:
    If you have a garden or outside area spend the day there. Tomorrow walk around the block. Build things up. You have no prospects- so make it your job to find some. Give yourself the boost that you need, don't wait for some one else to do it (because they won't).

ReputationRep:
    It's too late for me now. I will retire to my thoughts thank you for your words. But I must go now.

ReputationRep:
    No, you're not going mad, you are just going through a life crisis and you need to talk to a professional who can help you deal with this.
    You have to take baby steps to start with. Try to go outside for a few minutes, but don't feel bad if you struggle with it. Keep a little diary of what you can manage to do each day. You have lost your confidence but you will get through this. I have been where you are but there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. You look after yourself now.X

ReputationRep:
    Definitely get some fresh air. 7 weeks is a bit long to stay in one place you could go slightly insane! Why not try shopping first... Then more insane stuff like meeting up with friends.

ReputationRep:
    I also have a recurring stutter because I was traumatised by my mum who ran off with me to her lover, this stutter really pisses me off. Everyone I open up to eventually leaves me, which made me think there's no such thing as friendship is there? I have terrible GCSEs, poor background, so I can't get a good well paid job. And my biggest fear of all is being a failure, being not successful. What if it actually happens?

ReputationRep:
    You sound like me! I was always choosing bad clothing to go outside with; during my first years of high school I would only wear my school polo shirt to school as people would laugh at my jackets and stuff, so that meant that even when it was raining loads I would walk around in just my polo shirt without any other upper layers on. I would literally get drenched.

I also remember when it was was snowing and I went to the town centre with my mum and for some reason I didn't want to wear a jacket or jumper, so I spent the whole time thinking that everyone was looking and laughing at me because I was just wearing a T shirt in the freezing snow.

I also have only been out perhaps three times in the past two months; the same as every summer.

And, like, you, I have no prospect or friends to look forward to.

ReputationRep:
    You won't be a failure. We are all masters of our own destinies. You are in a bad place at the moment and can't see any way out. You WILL get through this, but you must ask for help. Please do that. It won't happen the way you think because if you thought that you wouldn't be here asking for help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    You won't be a failure. We are all masters of our own destinies. You are in a bad place at the moment and can't see any way out. You WILL get through this, but you must ask for help. Please do that. It won't happen the way you think because if you thought that you wouldn't be here asking for help.
    I don't like being poorly judged, especially in person. I hate the thought of them thinking ill of me. Appearance is everything after all. I will have to just take the bull by the horns. In my last few weeks inside, I have developed I routine of doing push-ups and sit-ups, I started off at 10 but then gradually increased it, God how my arms and abs ached early on. I am now doing 70 each, a day. When my last course at college ended I was untoned, but now, when I look in the mirror I look good. Will other see it that way?

ReputationRep:
    I don't like being poorly judged, especially in person. I hate the thought of them thinking ill of me. Appearance is everything after all. I will have to just take the bull by the horns. In my last few weeks inside, I have developed I routine of doing push-ups and sit-ups, I started off at 10 but then gradually increased it, God how my arms and abs ached early on. I am now doing 70 each, a day. When my last course at college ended I was untoned, but now, when I look in the mirror I look good. Will other see it that way?
    It's good that you are keeping yourself fit. I think appearance is important to you and so you have motivated yourself to do that and that's a positive.
    No one likes being judged but do these things for yourself first and for others second, and you will make it. You've made a start.

Yh go outside and catch some Pokemon

ReputationRep:
    Aw no :hugs: whilst my reasons for becoming agoraphobic are very different to yours I also experienced long stretches of time not going out.

Make a call to your GP surgery and ask to speak to one of the doctors, as an agoraphobic you're entitled to a home visit, alternatively they will chat to you over the phone. If they don't mention something like Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (cbt) you should, it helped me .

Let us know how you get on. Sooner you make the call to your GP the better!

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of people in the same position as yourself. You are not alone.... Call your GP and have a telephone consultations and take it from there. You will likely need CBT (Cognitive behavioural therapy). You are welcome to message me anytime you are in need of a friendly, non judgmental chat 🙂

ReputationRep:
    You should definitely go outside!! Go to a park and spent some time there and get to meet new people. Don't worry about people looking or staring at you, they may stare at you because you may look a bit awkward if you don't engage with people. Don't think that they are laughing at you because they may be laughing at something else but you may take it as they are actually laughing at you. I guess finding a friend for you might be hard but why not try? Just start a convo by saying hi and your name and you're good to go. Friends are not that scary, if you always talk to them and go out with them they will stay close to you. It's when you don't engage with them properly where it goes all wrong. I guess you have some trust issues. You have to learn to trust yourself then other people and then everything will be fine. Are you going to uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Workangel_24)
    You should definitely go outside!! Go to a park and spent some time there and get to meet new people. Don't worry about people looking or staring at you, they may stare at you because you may look a bit awkward if you don't engage with people. Don't think that they are laughing at you because they may be laughing at something else but you may take it as they are actually laughing at you. I guess finding a friend for you might be hard but why not try? Just start a convo by saying hi and your name and you're good to go. Friends are not that scary, if you always talk to them and go out with them they will stay close to you. It's when you don't engage with them properly where it goes all wrong. I guess you have some trust issues. You have to learn to trust yourself then other people and then everything will be fine. Are you going to uni?
    I really, really want to go to uni! It's just a very risky move to make (for the financial reasons & potentially being never able to pay back the debt) I have absolutely NO ONE to depend on. All I have in my life is my name and my wits. My GCSE results went badly wrong, (D's and E's) by the time GCSEs came around, I had given up on everything. But I know that deep down, I am exceptionally smart, I like to read and I love history. I was bullied hard at school, I had to fight everyday because sadistic bullies kept coming at me, in groups of 4, just me against them. They would approach me laughing and calling me names, saying that no one cares about me, that I'm worthless. Then they would attack me, I would fight the first one to swing at me and when I started to pummel him, one of them grabbed me from behind, I elbowed him several times in the head and he fell to the ground, then they swamped me completely, I tried to fight them all but they piled on me and kicked me when I was down, and that was that, I had cuts and bruises all over me and a black eye. My mum left me when I was 3, my dad doesn't care about me and when I came home later that day when he saw me, he said "I wish I never had you, you useless little ****". I hate to say it, but I contemplated suicide that day because I just felt so miserable, I felt as though I had no way out and that for it all to end, it was my only option. But instead I just got up and left my flat and just walked, I walked for miles just thinking about my life and the more I would think about it the more depressed I got. I ended up walking to a town I was unfamiliar with and I saw a little girl, walking with her mum in the high street, the little girl was skipping along the pavement holding her mothers hand, singing a nursery rhyme. Then, and I don't know why, I just started crying. So I went to find a quite place and I just sat there crying, not knowing why, I sat there for 2 hours until I finally got up and started to walk back home. I didn't get back home until 2 in the morning, but I couldn't go inside because I knew my dad would be sat in the living room, by which time he would be completely drunk. So I just sat on the doorstep until I knew he would go to bed. Only after that I would go inside. That was only 3 years ago. I think about that little girl everyday 😥

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    Please, go outside its good for your health. Start small first go out to get a takeaway and bring it home. Trust me if you stay inside with no friends you start to feel stressed.

Btw, in London wearing a heavy coat during a hot summers day is considered as cool now!
    Lol no it's not, wearing a heavy coat in the summer is still considered weird and yes you still get the looks :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazzy97)
    Lol no it's not, wearing a heavy coat in the summer is still considered weird and yes you still get the looks :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nah, Roadmen (wear puffer jackets in hot wearher) do it therefore it will make you look cool among the youths feared and respected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    Nah, Roadmen (wear puffer jackets in hot wearher) do it therefore it will make you look cool among the youths feared and respected.
    Roadmen are stupid, not cool though, what decent person would respect them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.