Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I need serious advice now! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I want you all to reach into the deepest reaches of your knowledge about the modern British education system, being successful and aiming for a great career in a great sector, but at a starting point obviously.

Now, on to the main question. In all of your wisdom as students people of TSR, pay attention to the following question - Do you believe in your honest opinion I must take A levels as a starting point that will lead to a high paying job, despite I have already done 2 years of college and this will take me a further 2 years to complete?

Second question coming up, remember read it through carefully. - Should I go to university to study a degree (let's say investment banking) as going to university, despite the time spent, despite the debts, is the only real way to get yourself a decent job that requires a degree to be eligible for employment in that job?

And lastly, - Can you all see my concern about the time duration to do these things, the debt amounted and the eagerness to get into that career ASAP? I'm I being reasonable in my thinking?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaCenturion)
    Hello everyone, I want you all to reach into the deepest reaches of your knowledge about the modern British education system, being successful and aiming for a great career in a great sector, but at a starting point obviously.

Now, on to the main question. In all of your wisdom as students people of TSR, pay attention to the following question - Do you believe in your honest opinion I must take A levels as a starting point that will lead to a high paying job, despite I have already done 2 years of college and this will take me a further 2 years to complete?

Second question coming up, remember read it through carefully. - Should I go to university to study a degree (let's say investment banking) as going to university, despite the time spent, despite the debts, is the only real way to get yourself a decent job that requires a degree to be eligible for employment in that job?

And lastly, - Can you all see my concern about the time duration to do these things, the debt amounted and the eagerness to get into that career ASAP? I'm I being reasonable in my thinking?

Thanks in advance.
    1- Hate to point out, reading carefully, there is no such thing as a degree in investment banking....
    2- A job that requires a degree, does require a degree... but there are plenty of jobs that don't.
    3- It all depends what you want to do. If you hate it, fail your studies and dislike the eventual job then you won't be well paid anyway. Find out what you may want to do, then find out how to go about it. Meet people in the industry and ask them (particularly recruiters/HR) who can advise you about route to take.

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance.
    I don't think that you need to do A-levels/a degree to have a well paying job, you can make a success of yourself without it. Perhaps a better starting point would be what do you see yourself doing in the long term and then look if that is a career that is accessible to you without a degree and whether graduates in that field progress any faster or earn any more.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

Thanks in advance.
    Found your posting style irritating.

Q1. High paying job? there are many ways up the mountain. A levels can be useful for some situations and irrelevant in others. You dont say what you did at college. I would suggest at looking what your target is and then the natural route to getting there. It may involve A levels or a degree, but it may not.

Q2. You have to make up your mind what job it is you want and work backwards. It may or may not require a degree. Your primary motivation so far appears to be that it is well paying. Some jobs do not require a degree, but may require, luck, determination, effective networking and experience. I found it common to meet two groups of people, one was the ones who had learnt on the job and championed experience, the others championed qualifications. Its is better to have both.
    If you are good enough then you can access good career paths, that will have decent remuneration. If you do a degree then make sure you know what you will get out of it and are confident enough to back yourself to make the investment worthwhile.

Q3. Its wise to think about all aspects, but education is pretty quick in the scheme of things. There is little room for error. Whether its worth the investment again goes back to research and you knowing what you want to use the degree for and making sure it is fit for purpose. If either you or it isnt, then I would reconsider going to uni. Worth the time? Well you cna use it as a foundation for a career for the rest of your life. Maybe compare it with how far you can use the same amount of time doing something else.

Research and keep asking questions then you will be in a better position to know whether its right for you.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.