Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    DRTFHGJ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kanyenot)
    I was wondering what my chances are for getting in to law at the University of Oxford and LSE.

GCSEs: A*AAABBBBBBBBB
    (NB) I had mental health problems in year from year 9 to 11 which meant I missed a lot of class and couldn't actually do the work.

I do a mixture of Pre-U's (English Literature, GPR, History, Mathematics) and A-Levels
    (German, Philosophy,)

I am currently predicted according to my last prediction report:
    D2 (A*), D2(A*), D3(A), D3(A), A, A

Thanks
    And you think that makes you look good to employers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaCenturion)
    And you think that makes you look good to employers?

?? I don't understand. Are you coming for me or asking legitimate question?

ReputationRep:
    Your GCSEs may be a problem - perhaps look into Cambridge instead?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Your GCSE's would unfortunately significantly hamper your chances for Oxbridge, and LSE are known to be very fussy on the amount of A/A*s at GCSE. I do however sympathise with your mental health issues, as from experience, they are truly awful. Luckily it did not hamper my grades or attendance. I am a bit sceptical about how unis will view a mix of pre-U's and A levels. All respectable Russell Group unis require 3 A levels I think...

Even if your mix of qualifications is no issue and you did get offered LSE think about whether you would like to study in London. Its great when you've graduated and doing your LPC/BPTC as you have had the uni experience and are just hardcore grafting academically the whole time and more focussed on your immediate career ahead. However, for an undergraduate, the top London unis (KCL, LSE, UCL) lack a community feel and a lack of established campus, not to mention the expense. For a good uni for Law you could go to Nottingham, Bristol or Manchester for example, all respected Russell Group unis, but more campus based and great nightlife for decent prices overall. Just something to consider...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ORW)
    Your GCSE's would unfortunately significantly hamper your chances for Oxbridge, and LSE are known to be very fussy on the amount of A/A*s at GCSE. I do however sympathise with your mental health issues, as from experience, they are truly awful. Luckily it did not hamper my grades or attendance. I am a bit sceptical about how unis will view a mix of pre-U's and A levels. All respectable Russell Group unis require 3 A levels I think...

Even if your mix of qualifications is no issue and you did get offered LSE think about whether you would like to study in London. Its great when you've graduated and doing your LPC/BPTC as you have had the uni experience and are just hardcore grafting academically the whole time and more focussed on your immediate career ahead. However, for an undergraduate, the top London unis (KCL, LSE, UCL) lack a community feel and a lack of established campus, not to mention the expense. For a good uni for Law you could go to Nottingham, Bristol or Manchester for example, all respected Russell Group unis, but more campus based and great nightlife for decent prices overall. Just something to consider...
    All unis accept Pre-Us with A-Levels as they're essentially the same thing with different names (the difference being that Pre Us have a higher grade too).

No matter what, I'd really never recommend going to Manchester over the London unis you mentioned. It is respected, but not exactly to be seen as a replacement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    All unis accept Pre-Us with A-Levels as they're essentially the same thing with different names (the difference being that Pre Us have a higher grade too).

No matter what, I'd really never recommend going to Manchester over the London unis you mentioned. It is respected, but not exactly to be seen as a replacement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Only meant Manchester in as much of a mix of a respected uni but with a better nightlife and overall more communal feel of a campus. Never said it was better in rep than London unis...

ReputationRep:
    OP, we both want to go into law, and your GCSE's are similar to mine. I got 1 A*, 4 A's, 4 B's, 4 C's.

Unfortunately, our GCSE's will pretty much prevent us from standing a chance at universities like Oxford and LSE. That's why we should actively avoid them, instead applying to places like Cambridge and UCL.

Your A-levels and equivalents grades are very good though, and you should make a competitive applicant at Cambridge, UCL, etc.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.