Turn on thread page Beta

Who polices the smoking ban? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I was wondering who polices the smoking ban? Is it police? members of the public? council workers similar to traffic wardens etc?

I seem to have this image akin to Minority Report, in which they KNOW you are going to light up from 3 psycic non-smokers lying in pools of smugness; connected to a machine that sees the images and creating balls of which the name of the offender is carved. Then pre-fag officers go into hovercraft and jets and take you down just as your bringing the lighter to the end of the cigarette.

But thats just me.

ReputationRep:
    They have a special device that responds to the signals given by ********s and anti-smoking ******s... you know, that irritating fake cough which makes you want to shove some tabbacco into their orrafices and set them on fire.

ReputationRep:
    well stoke on trent council have messed up so its still legal to smoke in a pub there .

ReputationRep:
    Theres some things I WILL do to have a cigarette, go outside with my pint, brave the wind/rain/floods/tornado/hurricane/apocolpyse/comming of the four horsemen etc

But to take a train, all the way to Smoke-on-trent is not very convenient for me as I live in Colchester. I have SOME sense of scale.

ReputationRep:
    Who knows...its probably up to the landlord, seeing as they get fined if people are smoking in their pub too.
    I expect they send undercover people round from time to time, to make sure people and landlords are sticking to it.
    Probably a bit like pubwatch where they send under 18's round to pubs to see if they will serve them without checking id etc.

ReputationRep:
    I would question the moral value of sending little timmy into a pub filled with chavs to buy a 'pint'. But as its the goverment doing it I suppose its ok.

ReputationRep:
    Well they do do it so obviously the moral value is "acceptable"!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophisticated)
    Well they do do it so obviously the moral value is "acceptable"!
    so the moral value of killing jews in ww2 germany was "acceptable?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    so the moral value of killing jews in ww2 germany was "acceptable?"

To be honest, and this is just me, comparing sending little Timmy in (for the goverment) to try and buy a pint is not really on that same scale. I mean, not unless Little Timmy was asked to kill the Jews in WW2 by the goverment to see if he would. But that didnt happen. I think. (Timmy not the Jews.)

ReputationRep:
    In reply to samba:
    Obviously not but we werent talking about that were we?!?!?!?!
    And note I did put "acceptable" in inverted commas...the government think it is acceptable, however some may not. The germans thought their behaviour killing jews was "acceptable", however obviously most do not.
    Difference of opinion as to what "acceptable" is, but I dont want to start a debate about "acceptable" behaviour in WW2, cos as I said, its not what we were discussing in this thread so dont even try it!
    I personally dont see a problem with sending for eg 16 year olds into pubs on pubwatch.
    Plenty try and sneak in there anyway before they're 18.

Bishman; exactly what I just said! lol. Hardly the same scale, and lets not start a debate about jews and germans in this thread! Cant believe my post about "acceptable" pubwatch was responded to using ww2 and jews lol.

ReputationRep:
    Getting back to the point in this (now rather messed-up in many ways) thread...

Does anyone know who polices the smoking law? And can I call them fag-busters?

(thats probably a Copyright USA group anyway)

ReputationRep:
    Well my suggestion was the landlords (seeing as they can get fined too) and just police and undercovers etc checking in from time to time...probably on peak nights like friday and saturday, new years eve etc.

ReputationRep:
    I was merely making the point that you can't equate laws/government to 'morals', :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thousands of council staff are being trained to police the smoking ban in bars, restaurants and shops in England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    I was merely making the point that you can't equate laws/government to 'morals', :p:
    I wasn't, hence the "" commas.
    Obviously stuff comes across the wrong way on the internet sometimes, but there was no need to compare it to WW2 and jews, cos obviously I do not think that that was acceptable, inverted commas or not.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History_Boys)
    Thousands of council staff are being trained to police the smoking ban in bars, restaurants and shops in England.
    Ah, thanks

Does this apply to 'lock-ins' as well?

ReputationRep:
    The Police will not have anything to do with the smoking ban, they've made that quite clear.

It's down to the Local Council to make provision and to appoint 'enforcement officers' - I suppose they'll probably just be health and safety type officers who are given this status on the top and who'd only do it part time or such. There's certainly not going to be anyone who is an actual smoking ban enforcement person as his job.

Just as significantly is the duty of landlords to enforce it - should they not take reasonable measures to stop smoking on their premises, they too commit an offence and are liable to punishment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bishman)
    Theres some things I WILL do to have a cigarette, go outside with my pint, brave the wind/rain/floods/tornado/hurricane/apocolpyse/comming of the four horsemen etc
    Unfortunately all the pubs I've see have signs saying that drinks must not be taken outside. I've seen people have to finish their pint, pack up, go to the door for a fag, come back and find a seat again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah2001)
    well stoke on trent council have messed up so its still legal to smoke in a pub there .
    Can you explain how it is still legal there when it is a Nation Wide Law?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.