Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, if you're reading this, thanks for taking the time.

So basically I'm a UK national, working abroad in China, teaching English. While I'm over here I really want to get the most out of my time here and have been looking at studying a Bachelors degree online via distance learning.

Now I've already been told that any kind of student finance is out the window. It is going to be a bit of squeeze each month given my wage is good for China, however not spectacular for the UK. Good news is that courses offered online are generally very good (a BA with goldsmiths is 6000 for the whole thing). However a slight snag here is that not many seem to offer and Honors year. My question is, is it possible after completing the BA online, to do my hons at a uni back home (possibly get student finance for this as I will be back in the UK?). As no courses I have seen so far have Hons attached to them. And most Masters require an hons to get on to them.

The online degree providers I have looked at so far are london international
    And the Open University.

if anybody else knows of any other providers, that would be great.

Also is it theoretically possible to complete a BA in 2 years? Heard of a chick in the US finishing a hons at Berkley in 2 years.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Hallofwolves)
    Hi guys, if you're reading this, thanks for taking the time.

So basically I'm a UK national, working abroad in China, teaching English. While I'm over here I really want to get the most out of my time here and have been looking at studying a Bachelors degree online via distance learning.

Now I've already been told that any kind of student finance is out the window. It is going to be a bit of squeeze each month given my wage is good for China, however not spectacular for the UK. Good news is that courses offered online are generally very good (a BA with goldsmiths is 6000 for the whole thing). However a slight snag here is that not many seem to offer and Honors year. My question is, is it possible after completing the BA online, to do my hons at a uni back home (possibly get student finance for this as I will be back in the UK?). As no courses I have seen so far have Hons attached to them. And most Masters require an hons to get on to them.

The online degree providers I have looked at so far are london international
    And the Open University.

if anybody else knows of any other providers, that would be great.

Also is it theoretically possible to complete a BA in 2 years? Heard of a chick in the US finishing a hons at Berkley in 2 years.
    Both the University of London (International Programme) and the Open University offer Honours degrees. What subject do you want to study?

No, it is not possible to do a BA in 2 years, 4 years is the realistic minimum for a part-time degree. The girl you're talking about probably did an associate's degree (the American version of a foundation degree), then transferred into Berkeley to finish her BA in 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    Not 100 percent sure, as I couldn't actually see any Hons degrees advertised on there. Also the OU won't allow me to take their courses whilst overseas, only the University of London will.

I won't be doing it part time though, I will be putting in 20+ hours a week into it. As my job over here is essentially a part time one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.