Turn on thread page Beta

Preparation for Uni! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys/girls this summer before uni it just seems like im doing no work towards my uni subject, is any1 else going to prepare in any way shape or form?Get sum books, read up?

ReputationRep:
    it sounds like a good idea - you could see if your course has a reading list or any "bridging" material.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Ive started collecting the books off my reading list for literature, so I can read the majority of them BEFORE the course starts. Im also reading some stuff in French because my examing board for A Level doesnt teach that, and I want to have some experience before I start, because it seems a lot of the French students on TSR have read French literature, suggesting that my board was the least popular.

Apart from that, Im getting into the spirit of Uni life by sleeping till 11, eating junk food, and watching TV all day - now that's GOOD preparation!

x

ReputationRep:
    Do a bit of light reading to get in the mood.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt i will. I want to enjoy the freedom while i can..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack11961)
    Hi guys/girls this summer before uni it just seems like im doing no work towards my uni subject, is any1 else going to prepare in any way shape or form?Get sum books, read up?
    What subject are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    im thinking about getting some books, but all i have done so far is to get ready for uni life by going out

ReputationRep:
    I doubt I'll be doing anything!

But just on a sidenote- where do we get these reading lists from? I remember going to waterstones a couple of years ago with a friend who was starting uni in september and had been given a long list of books to buy, and I'm pretty sure it was before results day?

How are we meant to spend hundreds of pounds on books though when we haven't got our student loans yet?

I'm curious now...going to check the uni website to see if it says anything on there..

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing nothing. The reading I'm doing atm is definitely non scientific! and for pleasure. I want to start work at uni with a fresh desire to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History_Boys)
    Do a bit of light reading to get in the mood.
    thanks mr. year 12.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't recommend that anyone buy the books on their reading list right now, as there are specific editions which you'll need, and these can quite often be picked up cheap when you start. May be worth finding out what sort of stuff you'll be covering and getting the books from the library though.

I'm going to get an introduction to postmodernism and read a few of the classics this summer, but nothing in depth or overly related to my course.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't really do any preparation. I didn't even get my reading list until after results day, but I agree that you shouldn't actually buy any books until the start of term, a) because you'll have your student loan and b) because you might buy the wrong edition.

ReputationRep:
    On the university website where i want to go (Bath) i found the units that i will be studying which also shows the exact topics and also gives mini break downs of the units. I may over the summer just revise the bits on the a level sylabus that corespond to those bits.

ReputationRep:
    I've done no preparation whatsoever and I don't intend to either. This summer is for chilling out :p: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brown)
    I've done no preparation whatsoever and I don't intend to either. This summer is for chilling out :p: .
    totally agree wid you this vacation is for chillin only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remo)
    totally agree wid you this vacation is for chillin only.
    Lol at least we feel the same! I think we deserve a rest after all those exams.

ReputationRep:
    yea we'll see about those on aug 16th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remo)
    yea we'll see about those on aug 16th
    Yes we shall have to wait and see if our efforts have paid off... August 16th is the big day. How long you on vacation for? Has the weather been any good in Canada?

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know where i'll end up! I keep thinking that things wil go tits up lol

ReputationRep:
    comin back aug 11th. yea da weathers gd. how is it down your end how was ur sleep last nite?? lol

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.