Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just installed Vista Business, upgrading from XP SP2. I'm trying to rip a DVD using Dr. DivX, i've installed it using app compatibility and it runs fine, except when trying to output a file, wherever I choose, it says ""Path" is read-only". However, when I attempt to change the folder properties in explorer, it won't let me. ALSO, I can still copy files around at will, so presumably something getting confused somewhere along the way. Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    Reinstall the program giving you problems. I used an upgrade the first time I put Vista on a machine, and some programs played up until I reinstalled them (same version too!).

In response to your actual problem, you are aware of the new UAC (user account control)?

ReputationRep:
    Umm, nope, don't know about that, what changes does it bring? And i've tried reinstalling n still get the same error.

ReputationRep:
    The program is quite old, so it might just simply not work with Vista?

ReputationRep:
    UAC will basically stop you from creating or modifying files anywhere except in your own user space. Basically it tries to copy the unix way of doing things but the os and its users just arent set up for that kind of thing imo. You must disable it.

http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

I recommend method #4

ReputationRep:
    I hate vista my dads laptop has vista and it keeps crashing

ReputationRep:
    Vista is ****e.

Windows should come with BETA written on the front of the box untill at least service pack 1. I only moved to XP in 2004, wont be moving to vista though. OS X all the way. Miles better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrWacko)
    Vista is ****e.

Windows should come with BETA written on the front of the box untill at least service pack 1. I only moved to XP in 2004, wont be moving to vista though. OS X all the way. Miles better
    Agreed. I'm glad I've moved on from microsoft. One time I was becoming interested in the new OS; vista and looked cool .. but not so cool after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Decota)
    Agreed. I'm glad I've moved on from microsoft. One time I was becoming interested in the new OS; vista and looked cool .. but not so cool after all.
    I too was interested. I even installed it (i got it free via MSDN through uni). I played around a bit and then promty uninstalled it. Shockingly unstable, slow and generally buggy.

ReputationRep:
    I too was interested. I even installed it (i got it free via MSDN through uni). I played around a bit and then promty uninstalled it. Shockingly unstable, slow and generally buggy.
    You're using inadequate hardware then, it runs perfectly on my laptop (Intel Core2Duo T7100 1.80GHz with 2GB SDRAM. There are one or two bugs, but I don't find them problematic, generally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cage)
    You're using inadequate hardware then, it runs perfectly on my laptop (Intel Core2Duo T7100 1.80GHz with 2GB SDRAM. There are one or two bugs, but I don't find them problematic, generally.
    Inadequate??? Hell no. I'm running an athlon x2 4400 with 2GB Corsair RAM and two 74GB Raptors Raid Stripe for Booting OS, 1.5TB of Storage accross 3 500GB discs. This setup runs perfectly on XP, Ubuntu and even a hacked version of OS X.

Vista has some serious problems. Every new version of windows does! It takes a while for them to work the kinks out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sir_inferno)
    you shouldn't have to get new hardware to run new OSs unless it's shockingly out of date...it's a bad way to program; getting your users to buy new hardware just to use your stuff...
    Tis true, the latest version of ubuntu will probably run in just about anything better than a Pentium 1 with no problems. Vista seems to need a quad core to run at a decent speed (I exaggerate of course)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sir_inferno)
    you shouldn't have to get new hardware to run new OSs unless it's shockingly out of date...it's a bad way to program; getting your users to buy new hardware just to use your stuff...
    It runs fine on my 'spare' PC (1.7GHz P4/1GB), only problem I had was nVidia not supplying GeForce 4 Vista drivers. Of course this is with aero disabled and probably some other stuff disabled as well, though. You only need super fancy new hardware if you want all the fancy stuff enabled & smooth.

As for it being unstable etc, the only problems I can remember having with it have been driver related.

Vista is as 'shockingly unstable' as the hardware, and more likely, the drivers, that it's installed on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil.)
    Vista is as 'shockingly unstable' as the hardware, and more likely, the drivers, that it's installed on.
    very well said.

ReputationRep:
    I too got Vista Business through MSDNAA. I installed it over a weekend as I was about to have my hard drive changed, thought I'd test it. After that I've stuck with it ever since. You cannot say it's less or as unstable as XP, and I wouldn't even say XP is unstable. The only time I've ever had to forcefully turn it off my PC with Vista was when the mouse slipped whilst overclocking my graphics card, so that's completely my fault and not Vista. It is also far more responsive then XP.

You don't need that powerful a PC either. Vista runs very well on my 2.2ghz Athlon 64 with a Geforce 6800 and 1gb of slow ram. Plus my pc only cost £200. Hardly expensive hardware.

I haven't encountered any bugs in Vista. Could you post some examples of bugs you've found?

For the software, try reinstalling that software under UAC, but right click and selecting 'run as admin'. AVG Free doesn't work properly unless you install it like that.

ReputationRep:
    Bugs? Here begins the list. You ready?

Dragging windows around in aero is so far beyond laggy
    Hard-Lock ups whilst running the most basic programs (i.e. word)
    Gaming is a total no go. About 40-50FPS LESS than on XP
    For some reason my Hard drives are given a very poor rating in Vista's rating (2xRaptor in RAID 0)
    Boot ups take forever
    Shutdowns take forever

I could go on...

Need I go on? My Hardware is perfect, the installation disc is perfect. I installed very little software just drivers, office, couple of games etc. I think i'm happy with my XP/ubuntu/OS X combo thankyou very much

ReputationRep:
    Bugs? Here begins the list. You ready?

Dragging windows around in aero is so far beyond laggy slow graphics card or dodgy drivers
    Hard-Lock ups whilst running the most basic programs (i.e. word) Driver issue or overheating/memory issue
    Gaming is a total no go. About 40-50FPS LESS than on XPnVidia and ATi still haven't got decent performance out of their hardware on Vista...again, drivers
    For some reason my Hard drives are given a very poor rating in Vista's rating (2xRaptor in RAID 0) Most likely drivers again, nothing wrong with any of my drives or anyone's I know
    Boot ups take forever
    Shutdowns take forever
    Both likely down to either drivers or the software installed, on XP my chipset drivers slowed boot up/shut down quite a lot. This is probably related to your problem with the poor rating for your Raptor RAID setup

I could go on...

Need I go on? My Hardware is perfect, the installation disc is perfect. I installed very little software just drivers, office, couple of games etc. I think i'm happy with my XP/ubuntu/OS X combo thankyou very much
    Good for you that you're happy with your other operating systems, but the issues you've posted are mainly down to drivers, not Vista.

ReputationRep:
    Hard-Lock ups whilst running the most basic programs (i.e. word)
    Is your default printer on a network?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil.)
    Good for you that you're happy with your other operating systems, but the issues you've posted are mainly down to drivers, not Vista.
    There isn't anything wrong with my hardware not being up to scratch thats for sure. You can blame drivers all you want (you may even be correct) but when a new version of Linux comes out it supports even more hardware than the previous version, not less which appears to be the case in Windows!

I can't say i'm completely unbiased, having been using a macbook for a year I'm a genuine mac lover (*prepares to get rotten fruit hurled at*). Windows is just pathetic in comparison.

On a PC Platform the best operating system at the minute is Ubuntu. It supports practically anything and I love the millions of FOSS titles available for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spin2)
    Is your default printer on a network?
    Err Yeah, but why would that make a difference?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 18, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.