Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Watch 1:

Watch 2:

Wondering which one people prefer?
    Primary consideration is it needs to look good and be suitable in a formal context.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blu2)
    Watch 1:

Watch 2:

Wondering which one people prefer?
    Primary consideration is it needs to look good and be suitable in a formal context.
    both are ok if you want low rent brands that are more or less valueless in a decade you would do better to buy a pre-owned omega, Breitling or tag Heuer or maybe a Longines even that will still be worth a few hundred still

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    both are ok if you want low rent brands that are more or less valueless in a decade you would do better to buy a pre-owned omega, Breitling or tag Heuer or maybe a Longines even that will still be worth a few hundred still
    Couldn't agree more. Raymond Weil is ok in Swiss terms but merely ok. I think you'd struggle to get a good breitling for the price. My 1958 omega seamaster was £350 and is wonderful. Longines are also a good affordable step into Swiss watches. I can't comment on tag as I only like the Monaco. Stay clear of the 'fashion' Swiss brands and get a proper Swiss timepiece.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tg1998)
    Couldn't agree more. Raymond Weil is ok in Swiss terms but merely ok. I think you'd struggle to get a good breitling for the price. My 1958 omega seamaster was £350 and is wonderful. Longines are also a good affordable step into Swiss watches. I can't comment on tag as I only like the Monaco. Stay clear of the 'fashion' Swiss brands and get a proper Swiss timepiece.
    it wouldn't be a good Breitling but my colt auto was 20 years old when i bought it last year of £995 from watchfinder
    I personally don't like the omega as they attract the wrong people in a lot of cases (wannabe James bonds)
    Longines are good I have had 2 (a vintage gold one and a steel dolce vita) both of which I have sold on
    and tag Heuer I only like the Monaco as a keeper but I did have a professional 2000 my first real watch which I sold when I got my Breitling
    and now I have a pair of Rolexes as well (a pre-owned date submariner (traded for my new steel Datejust) and my new two-tone Datejust the 40mm bought outright in cash)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I have another rolex in the business safe but i can't open the box as I'll end up keeping it (a yellow gold daytona from 2012) and was steal for £2,000 even if i had to travel 500 miles to get it

ReputationRep:
    I do really like the classical style of the RW maestro with the partial skeleton but recognise it has a rep as a bit of a fashion brand because of the lower end quartz models it churns out. I've also heard the build quality is pretty solid on the automatic freelancer and maestro models. At the end of the day, it is still a swiss family owned watchmaker, and one of the last ones left at that, so I think some of the acquired rep is unfair and attributable to a degree of snobbery.

I already have a longines st imier chrono and love it, but was looking for more of a day to day model for office wear etc, hence the recommendations in this range. The only tag model I like is the carerra which doesn't deserve the price tag attached to it. If fashion brand is levelled as an insult then I don't see how tag is much better simply because it charges more, yet remains overpriced and overexposed. If you can recommend any 'proper' models around the same price range as what I'm looking at that would be more helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    it wouldn't be a good Breitling but my colt auto was 20 years old when i bought it last year of £995 from watchfinder
    I personally don't like the omega as they attract the wrong people in a lot of cases (wannabe James bonds)
    Longines are good I have had 2 (a vintage gold one and a steel dolce vita) both of which I have sold on
    and tag Heuer I only like the Monaco as a keeper but I did have a professional 2000 my first real watch which I sold when I got my Breitling
    and now I have a pair of Rolexes as well (a pre-owned date submariner (traded for my new steel Datejust) and my new two-tone Datejust the 40mm bought outright in cash)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I have another rolex in the business safe but i can't open the box as I'll end up keeping it (a yellow gold daytona from 2012) and was steal for £2,000 even if i had to travel 500 miles to get it
    I agree with the omega stereotype. Mine is a simple dress watch with a sub-second dial at 6 o'clock. Nothing fancy, just a normal stainless steel gents watch. Everyone at college was amazed that omegas aren't all big chronographs - they were somewhat underwhelmed which I love. Nobody presumes it's expensive until you look closer.

I'm saving up for a 'proper' breitling, however I feel this could take some time.

I can wait to inherit my parents' rolexes and jageur le Coutre.

In all fairness to omega, Rolex and most notably the submariner (my favourite watch) has had a significant amount of product placement in bond films - when you wear one you can see it fits the character perfectly though.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the omega stereotype. Mine is a simple dress watch with a sub-second dial at 6 o'clock. Nothing fancy, just a normal stainless steel gents watch. Everyone at college was amazed that omegas aren't all big chronographs - they were somewhat underwhelmed which I love. Nobody presumes it's expensive until you look closer.

I'm saving up for a 'proper' breitling, however I feel this could take some time.

I can wait to inherit my parents' rolexes and jageur le Coutre.

In all fairness to omega, Rolex and most notably the submariner (my favourite watch) has had a significant amount of product placement in bond films - when you wear one you can see it fits the character perfectly though.
    I have to admit I had my tag through my first year in college (then I bought the two Longines watches)
    and someone asked it was Armani and my reply was I'd rather cut off the arm with a blunt hacksaw than wear an Armani

what Rolexes and jaeger LeCoultre I mean I am a collector i want a JLC master control in yellow gold and another 3 Rolexes a steel Daytona, a gold president and a platinum president

and the submariner is an icon you can say you like watches and not have owned at least one black ceramic and steel one

the best bit is as you might have guess I actually deal in fine watches and jewellery but I should make £13,000 on the gold Daytona I'd settle for less if it was done in cash

ReputationRep:
    Prefer second one

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.