Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a firm offer from Edinburgh for AAA, and my insurance is BBB in Aberdeen (biology). Im having a sort of "after Alevels crisis" , and and wondering if i want to have a gap year. I am also slightly changing my mind about my first choice, I kind of want to go to Sheffield (which was on of my five offers). What i was wondering is, is it possible for me to phone up sheffield on results day to see if they will accept me for this or next year without having to reapply? What do i need to to be able to do this?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's highly unlikely you will be able to get in without having to re apply-unless you exceed your offer and go through adjusment if there are spaces on that course available

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IoMc)
    I have a firm offer from Edinburgh for AAA, and my insurance is BBB in Aberdeen (biology). Im having a sort of "after Alevels crisis" , and and wondering if i want to have a gap year. I am also slightly changing my mind about my first choice, I kind of want to go to Sheffield (which was on of my five offers). What i was wondering is, is it possible for me to phone up sheffield on results day to see if they will accept me for this or next year without having to reapply? What do i need to to be able to do this?
    You've essentially forfeited your place when you rejected Sheffield. However, if the course you want to do is in clearing, you could enter clearing and therefore try to get onto the course at Sheffield. If it's not in clearing, then you'll have to reapply for next year unfortunately.

Make sure you think it through thoroughly before deciding though. It's a big decision.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about all the questions! Sheffield as for AAB, if i got this on results day and didnt get into Edinburgh, would I already had to have applied to clearing or can i contact sheffield on the day through clearing?
    sorry about all the questions again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IoMc)
    Sorry about all the questions! Sheffield as for AAB, if i got this on results day and didnt get into Edinburgh, would I already had to have applied to clearing or can i contact sheffield on the day through clearing?
    You'll get accepted by Aberdeen as AAB is higher than their grade requirement of BBB. It might be possible that you'll still get accepted by Edinburgh as it's only a difference by one grade (as the only difference is that you got a B in one subject instead of an A).

You can ask the university who has accepted you (if one of them has) to release you into clearing. Make sure that Sheffield has the course you want to do in Clearing first by checking UCAS Clearing, otherwise it'd be a waste of time. If it does, and you meet the entry reqs, ask to be released into clearing (if holding an unconditional offer) and call up Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IoMc)
    Firstly, you'd have to check if your course at Sheffield is in clearing. You'd then have to ask your insurance choice to release you into clearing, before calling Sheffield and attempting to get a place there. But this could go really badly - Sheffield would be very likely to accept you, but it's not guaranteed. And if you did get into Sheffield, you wouldn't necessarily be guaranteed university accommodation, so you may struggle to find private accommodation only a month before university starts.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the answers, know all the options now!
    Ill just cross my fingers that i get into Edinburgh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.