Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I don't mean to be negative. I mean, I am very happy that I have an offer to study at York in Oct. and I guess a part of me is looking forward to going. And York was definitely my choice - I love the city and my course looks great. It's not York itself that I am apprehensive about, just the idea of going to university in general :/

I am just so scared. I know it's normal for new students to be a little anxious. Still, I can't help feeling like this is more than just a few nerves. I feel so miserable when I think about going to uni. I know that I don't want to stay in my home town, but I will really miss my college and the support staff there and of course my family. Every time I think of being at uni I just imagine myself being alone and depressed and stuff. I know that's a bad attitude to have - I really am trying to stay positive on most days. Right now it just feels like I have nothing to look forward to when it comes to university.

I've suffered with mental illness for years now so that's definitely playing a big part in all of this. I can just see myself getting so much worse the moment I leave home and I don't have the support network I have been used to throughout school.

Does anyone else feel like this?? I don't really know what to do about it - everyone would be so disappointed in me if I don't go to university this year (myself included), but part of me feels like I shouldn't go because it'll make me miserable. I'm worried that if I do go, I will just get worse and end up being really unwell. But then if I don't go, I'm worried I'll have missed a great opportunity and maybe it will end up being 10 times better than my current situation.

What should I do?? I feel so lonely right now :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MozForever)
    So I don't mean to be negative. I mean, I am very happy that I have an offer to study at York in Oct. and I guess a part of me is looking forward to going. And York was definitely my choice - I love the city and my course looks great. It's not York itself that I am apprehensive about, just the idea of going to university in general :/

I am just so scared. I know it's normal for new students to be a little anxious. Still, I can't help feeling like this is more than just a few nerves. I feel so miserable when I think about going to uni. I know that I don't want to stay in my home town, but I will really miss my college and the support staff there and of course my family. Every time I think of being at uni I just imagine myself being alone and depressed and stuff. I know that's a bad attitude to have - I really am trying to stay positive on most days. Right now it just feels like I have nothing to look forward to when it comes to university.

I've suffered with mental illness for years now so that's definitely playing a big part in all of this. I can just see myself getting so much worse the moment I leave home and I don't have the support network I have been used to throughout school.

Does anyone else feel like this?? I don't really know what to do about it - everyone would be so disappointed in me if I don't go to university this year (myself included), but part of me feels like I shouldn't go because it'll make me miserable. I'm worried that if I do go, I will just get worse and end up being really unwell. But then if I don't go, I'm worried I'll have missed a great opportunity and maybe it will end up being 10 times better than my current situation.

Do you know what makes you and me and the whole human race so great?

We adapt to change, we form bonds and we make a new home wherever we go.

The only thing we need is time.

You're going to feel sad sometimes, you'll feel excited, happy, scared, angry and anything in between, but that's part of what it is to be growing as a person. You'll do a lot of growing at university, and you'll be growing with others.

Believe in yourself a little bit more. Other students are in the same position as you, so grow and feel and learn together!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to York for postgraduate study but was terrified of going to study a degree because I was hideously anti-social, still hadn't adjusted from the death of a parent and pretty much hated everything.

I went to Chester (switched later, but that's because the course sucked), joined the basketball society and ended up getting along really well with people. If you think you'll struggle with relationships, try a sport. The endorphin rush means people will be happier and easier to talk to and they'll associate you with something they enjoy. If you don't like sport, there are other societies with like-minded people that will help you feel like you belong.

You'll adjust a lot quicker than you think. Remember that people are in the same position as you. From what I've been told (all my experience with mental health care has been through my GP), the services at universities are really very good and they'll be used to dealing with anxiety about being somewhere different. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Look, I can only speak from my personal experience here and I don't know if any of what I'll say will apply to you, but I was actually in a very similar situation to you last year. I got accepted straight out of college to Cardiff University and I was scared shitless frankly, and tried most of the time not to think about it. I've dealt with depression and anxiety for years, and even at college I felt trapped and scared a lot of the time (I'd recently moved from Manchester to London) so I really didn't have the support network you had at college. Basically, I went to Cardiff because I thought it'd be an escape from all the problem that if been experiencing for years now, unfortunately you really can't run away from things like that! It didn't work out, it was painful and lonely for quite a while and so I decided to take control early and left Cardiff after a term to take a year off and reapply.
    Now for the more positive part of the story! The years worked out really well. I worked and earned money so I could afford better accommodation at the next uni (my Cardiff accommodation was up a hill, 40 minutes away from campus and looked like a prison block), I volunteered at a hospital radio so I could fill my weekends and try out a new skill (which was very fun and rewarding and gave me way more confidence than I had before) and I also took the step of seeking help for all the depression and anxiety at a registered therapist, which has helped me develop new and better strategies of coping with life. And the best thing which really made it all worthwhile? I got into York on a brilliant course that, frankly, I'm pretty under qualified for haha! It was a hard choice to make to take that year off, and it would have been a hell of a lot easier if I'd realised that's what I wanted to do before I arrived at University!

I don't really know of my situation has bearing on yours but I'll say this: there's no shame in not being ready right now and taking time off or deferring your place for a year. If you need time out to work out what you actually want to do then take it. The expectations of others shouldn't have an impact either (although in reality of course it does!) just remember that no one knows what you need more than you. You need time to adjust? Take it. You need to work on your problems head on? Take the time. You need to get away from home and become an independent adult? Then go to university now. Your choice whatever way, no harm no foul.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MozForever)

Awww don't worry it's completely natural to feel this way. I remember last year I cried when I moved out to start uni. But trust me with freshers fortnight you will completely forget about any anxiety etc and everyone is going to be in the same boat as you and feel the same way. You wil make so many brilliant memories at university that you'll wonder what you ever felt anxious about and you can always call your parents everyday/ visit home on the weekends

ReputationRep:
    I feel you... I have been dealing with depression and an anxiety disorder for years and I've never been more stressed out than I am right now... What makes it worse is all the talk about freshers week being so great and 1- I don't quite understand what it is and 2- I might have to miss it because I will be moving to the uk... Hello anxiety we meet again D,:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.