The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Matrix123
I found the bit in bold funnier than I probably should have done :lol:

Aw, cool. I may have to check those out sometime then :wink: ooh, awesome! That sounds lovely:yep:

Haha OK, yup! This'll be interesting :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, nevermind! :biggrin:

Yep, definitely. :smile: Check out all of the local food places and see which one is the best (in terms of quality, food taste, price etc) then go for that!

Indeed :tongue:

Btw, happy A Level Results Day! To all you peeps out there getting results, congrats! If you got into your university or got results that met or exceeded your expectations, double congrats! If you missed your grades/expectations, don't worry as it's not all over!

(For the record, I got my Electronic Engineering course through Clearing in 2013, and this year I graduated with a 2.1 - excellent!)
Original post by spotify95

Haha, nevermind! :biggrin:

Yep, definitely. :smile: Check out all of the local food places and see which one is the best (in terms of quality, food taste, price etc) then go for that!

Indeed :tongue:

Btw, happy A Level Results Day! To all you peeps out there getting results, congrats! If you got into your university or got results that met or exceeded your expectations, double congrats! If you missed your grades/expectations, don't worry as it's not all over!

(For the record, I got my Electronic Engineering course through Clearing in 2013, and this year I graduated with a 2.1 - excellent!)

Yeah, co-op isn't local for me but there's one by my school so I'll have to try that out there :smile:

(Ooh nice :biggrin: :yy:)
Left university and still working hard! :tongue: :yy:

True...that's a good idea:yep:
Haha good! I do listen to Heart occasionally but it certainly is very annoying when they do that. (What!? Only 50%? They're having a laugh!) I don't like the remixes they do either. I mean the odd song might sound OK but generally, I think it just ruins songs that I liked listening to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, plus I've got other Youtube videos to make and other computer related stuff to sort out... I should be able to do some of it now, and then complete the lot once everything is on my HP laptop :smile:

Why Heart? There are much better radio stations out there, that play much better music choices and don't do nasty cutoffs on songs. Heart FM have ALWAYS cut songs ridiculously short - I mean, 64% of Cyndi Lauper, barely 80% of Daft Punk, 50% of Starship (yes, a 4'56 song got played to just 2'28....) and yes, their edits can be diabolical. Butchering a song to try and get every last piece of rap out of it... Pitbull ft Neyo - Give Me Everything is a prime example of Heart's butchering; renaming it "Neyo - Give Me Everything" and removing all of Pitbull's verses, so you just get the chorus played 3 times and that is it. There's also a weird edit of Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling, but only on the networked shows, not the local shows.
Having said that, Heart FM is a station to Avoid, Avoid, AVOID!

If you need a station to listen to, try Capital FM or KISS FM UK. Want more older songs? Try Absolute Radio (Absolute Radio is available nationwide on the AM network). Can't get KISS or Capital in your area? Use Tunein Radio, assuming that you can get 3G or 4G!

Yep, plus I've got other Youtube videos to make and other computer related stuff to sort out... I should be able to do some of it now, and then complete the lot once everything is on my HP laptop :smile:

Why Heart? There are much better radio stations out there, that play much better music choices and don't do nasty cutoffs on songs. Heart FM have ALWAYS cut songs ridiculously short - I mean, 64% of Cyndi Lauper, barely 80% of Daft Punk, 50% of Starship (yes, a 4'56 song got played to just 2'28....) and yes, their edits can be diabolical. Butchering a song to try and get every last piece of rap out of it... Pitbull ft Neyo - Give Me Everything is a prime example of Heart's butchering; renaming it "Neyo - Give Me Everything" and removing all of Pitbull's verses, so you just get the chorus played 3 times and that is it. There's also a weird edit of Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling, but only on the networked shows, not the local shows.
Having said that, Heart FM is a station to Avoid, Avoid, AVOID!

If you need a station to listen to, try Capital FM or KISS FM UK. Want more older songs? Try Absolute Radio (Absolute Radio is available nationwide on the AM network). Can't get KISS or Capital in your area? Use Tunein Radio, assuming that you can get 3G or 4G!

Cool :smile:

Well it's mainly either that or Capital FM and to be completely honest, I don't really like Capital FM :redface: but this is only for car journeys really. At home, I don't listen to Heart (not anymore at least :tongue:). What? :gasp: I am so happy I haven't listened to that edit of Pitbull ft Neyo!
Haha, I bet you are outraged :tongue: I am in part too actually. Radio X got recommended to me so I listen to that a lot now. I also got recommended Absolute Radio but haven't gotten round to listening to that yet. As you have suggested it too, I'll see if I can give it a go sometime soon :wink:
Yeah, co-op isn't local for me but there's one by my school so I'll have to try that out there :smile:

Our co-op is very local for where I live; less than 5 minutes walk away, so I can get myself a nice lunch from there if required :smile:

When I was at university all the time, I used to go to a local sandwich shop near the campus, and they made delicious toasted sandwiches. :smile:

The local fish and chip shop, however, was a disgrace - the closest one to the university campus was absolutely horrible, and after having one meal there I vowed I'd never go back there!

Our co-op is very local for where I live; less than 5 minutes walk away, so I can get myself a nice lunch from there if required :smile:

When I was at university all the time, I used to go to a local sandwich shop near the campus, and they made delicious toasted sandwiches. :smile:

The local fish and chip shop, however, was a disgrace - the closest one to the university campus was absolutely horrible, and after having one meal there I vowed I'd never go back there!

Aw nice, that's how close Sainsbury's is for me :smile:

Ohh yeah, I remember you saying something about this. It sure does sound lovely!

Haha, yeah my local fish and chips isn't so great but I'm not a massive fan of them in general anyway so it's not too big of a problem :tongue:
101,747 (split palindrome :biggrin:)
Cool :smile:

Well it's mainly either that or Capital FM and to be completely honest, I don't really like Capital FM :redface: but this is only for car journeys really. At home, I don't listen to Heart (not anymore at least :tongue:). What? :gasp: I am so happy I haven't listened to that edit of Pitbull ft Neyo!
Haha, I bet you are outraged :tongue: I am in part too actually. Radio X got recommended to me so I listen to that a lot now. I also got recommended Absolute Radio but haven't gotten round to listening to that yet. As you have suggested it too, I'll see if I can give it a go sometime soon :wink:

Capital FM plays the nice modern stuff that I'm into nowadays, so is a much better choice than Heart FM! For me, radio station choice isn't great, because the stations for Northamptonshire aren't that great if you don't like Heart!
However, my choices...
At home, Capital via either my laptop, DAB Radio or FM radios around the house (Capital Leicestershire is just about receivable in this area).
At university (DMU, Leicester), used to be either Capital Leicestershire or Demon FM, which is DMU's campus radio station. Now it's predominantly Capital, though I am no longer a uni student so won't be going if I don't get a job there (and I've cleared my stuff out).
Travelling by car... Depends on the direction:
Travelling east/northeast (Thrapston or further east, Kimbolton/Stow Longa or further east, Peterborough or further north up to Colsterworth): KISS FM UK.
Travelling north (Kettering or further north, Leicestershire, some parts of West Lincolnshire etc): Capital FM.
Local area: Connect FM (local station for Irchester/Wellingborough/Geddington/Kettering and other areas in East Northamptonshire).
South: KISS FM and Capital FM (from London) become available in southern areas (e.g. south Cambs, Luton/Dunstable, M25 etc).
Anywhere that I haven't mentioned, i.e. most of Lincolnshire, Milton Keynes/Bedfordshire, west of Northampton, Oxfordshire, north/central Buckinghamshire etc) is hopeless unless you want either Heart, Lincs FM (for Lincolnshire) or one of the BBC nationals - in which case, I either don't have the radio on at all, have CDs on, or use my FM transmitter to stream Tunein to the car radio. Having said that, much further west of Northamptonshire and you run into the West Midlands, which has Capital FM.

I was very surprised about how some of the songs were hacked - I forgot to mention, that a Jermaine Stewart song was played at only 75% runtime as well.... Hmm, I wonder if I can find that Heart FM edit of Neyo on Youtube? If not, I might tape it for you so you can hear it...

I listened to Radio X a couple of times but not too keen on it, plus it's not local at all so the only way to listen is via Tunein. Plus they've got chris moyles on the breakfast show, and what a plonker he was! :mad: I'd probably prefer Absolute, they have their "No Repeat Guarantee" during the workday so you won't have any repeated songs - which is one of Heart's and Capital's weaknesses (repeated songs). Though I don't mind Capital repeating their songs as I don't mind the modern music. :smile:

Sorry, long post alert! :biggrin:

Aw nice, that's how close Sainsbury's is for me :smile:

Ohh yeah, I remember you saying something about this. It sure does sound lovely!

Haha, yeah my local fish and chips isn't so great but I'm not a massive fan of them in general anyway so it's not too big of a problem :tongue:
101,747 (split palindrome :biggrin:)

Awesome, so nice and close for you to grab a nice meal from :smile:

I've also got an Asda that is reasonably close to us, though I go to Co-op because it is closer! Will need to explore the area a bit more to see what other food places there are, but I know we have a fish and chip shop and that is actually decent, unlike the one in Leicester... The fish and chips at Hunstanton and Cromer, though, are fantastic. :smile:

You and your split palindromes :biggrin:

Yep, make sure to try it and see how it is! :yep:

Capital FM plays the nice modern stuff that I'm into nowadays, so is a much better choice than Heart FM! For me, radio station choice isn't great, because the stations for Northamptonshire aren't that great if you don't like Heart!
However, my choices...
At home, Capital via either my laptop, DAB Radio or FM radios around the house (Capital Leicestershire is just about receivable in this area).
At university (DMU, Leicester), used to be either Capital Leicestershire or Demon FM, which is DMU's campus radio station. Now it's predominantly Capital, though I am no longer a uni student so won't be going if I don't get a job there (and I've cleared my stuff out).
Travelling by car... Depends on the direction:
Travelling east/northeast (Thrapston or further east, Kimbolton/Stow Longa or further east, Peterborough or further north up to Colsterworth): KISS FM UK.
Travelling north (Kettering or further north, Leicestershire, some parts of West Lincolnshire etc): Capital FM.
Local area: Connect FM (local station for Irchester/Wellingborough/Geddington/Kettering and other areas in East Northamptonshire).
South: KISS FM and Capital FM (from London) become available in southern areas (e.g. south Cambs, Luton/Dunstable, M25 etc).
Anywhere that I haven't mentioned, i.e. most of Lincolnshire, Milton Keynes/Bedfordshire, west of Northampton, Oxfordshire, north/central Buckinghamshire etc) is hopeless unless you want either Heart, Lincs FM (for Lincolnshire) or one of the BBC nationals - in which case, I either don't have the radio on at all, have CDs on, or use my FM transmitter to stream Tunein to the car radio. Having said that, much further west of Northamptonshire and you run into the West Midlands, which has Capital FM.

I was very surprised about how some of the songs were hacked - I forgot to mention, that a Jermaine Stewart song was played at only 75% runtime as well.... Hmm, I wonder if I can find that Heart FM edit of Neyo on Youtube? If not, I might tape it for you so you can hear it...

I listened to Radio X a couple of times but not too keen on it, plus it's not local at all so the only way to listen is via Tunein. Plus they've got chris moyles on the breakfast show, and what a plonker he was! :mad: I'd probably prefer Absolute, they have their "No Repeat Guarantee" during the workday so you won't have any repeated songs - which is one of Heart's and Capital's weaknesses (repeated songs). Though I don't mind Capital repeating their songs as I don't mind the modern music. :smile:

Sorry, long post alert! :biggrin:

Haha, sure is a lot longer than I expected the post to be :tongue:

Wow, well fair enough. Tbh, I'm not really into a lot of the music played on there :redface:

Ooh, that'll be interesting. Thanks for that, not sure if I actually want to hear it because it's just disgraceful that they've done this!

Fairs, haha I haven't really listened to his breakfast shows, but from what I've gathered, they can be quite funny in parts :tongue: Ooh that's cool! Yeah, I've noticed certain repeat songs on Radio X too
(Wow, this reply is a lot shorter than your post :lol:)
Awesome, so nice and close for you to grab a nice meal from :smile:

I've also got an Asda that is reasonably close to us, though I go to Co-op because it is closer! Will need to explore the area a bit more to see what other food places there are, but I know we have a fish and chip shop and that is actually decent, unlike the one in Leicester... The fish and chips at Hunstanton and Cromer, though, are fantastic. :smile:

You and your split palindromes :biggrin:

Yeah! But this was actually the first time I've had a meal deal from Sainsbury's - I used opt for Tesco's :smile:

Cool, that's great! :biggrin:

Haha, indeed :tongue:
Yep, make sure to try it and see how it is! :yep:

I will, but I think the Co-op is the main one people go to for lunch there

Latest