Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondered what stationery I could need for my first year at uni?

Bought loads for college last year and didn't need any of it so don't want to make the same mistake again

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    What course are you doing? It depends in part on how you take notes.

I for example, had note books and folders for each subject. I also had things like highlighters.

ReputationRep:
    From doing my access course this year I learnt that I needed these things.

* Notebooks - Taking notes.
    * Folders - It helped a lot keeping each module in a separate folder or everything got mixed up.
    * Hole punch/Stapler/Treasury tags - Putting together assignment papers
    * Pens/Pencils/Ruler etc - The usual - Get red pens also, it helps when you are going through your own work,checking for any mistakes.
    * Highlighters - Highlighting.
    * Small post it notes - To mark important pages in books.
    * Yearly Diary - To mark important events and when exams or assignments are due as well as writing down important information.
    * Tippex - My life saver.
    * USB stick - Transferring work to the computers at college.
    * Google Drive - Storing work on the drive as a back up incase my USB broke or my work was lost.

Surprisingly I didn't find the need for a laptop a high priority as I was able to use my phone for the Internet and write up work in the Google Drive. However I will be buying one for University, most likely a Chrome book. I am also going to be buying a printer as traveling to college just to print something was annoying, also running out of printing credits sucked.

I'm not sure how University will differ from an access course but all of those are what I found to be really useful through out the year.

If you haven't already, I'd get yourself a presentation A4 folder and put all your certificates in it alongside your student finance letters and your accommodation confirmation etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The above poster has covered a lot of the essentials but I would say
    - small A5 notebook for writing down any important info during induction week.- refillable paper pads for writing up neater lecture notes and putting in folders- A wall planner (weekly ones are best) I wrote on it what lectures I had ect as it helped me keep organised.- drawing pins for hanging notes up on the wall or sticky tape.- colouring pens (fineliner ones) for notes
    Also how do you revise as if you like to make posters then you could buy massive paper if you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vsl_2603)

Bought loads for college last year and didn't need any of it so don't want to make the same mistake again

Thanks
    Why don't you wait till you start?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by vsl_2603)

Thanks
    Hello

I'd say that the stationary you need for college is different of that for university.
    At university I'd say the essentials are plenty of pens, a couple of note books and highlighters but to be honest, I abandoned all stationary and switched to an iPad Mini for note taking - best decision I ever made!

I do understand though some people prefer to stick to pen and paper!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.