Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I take higher history but it doesn't fit with my columns so I've been lobbed into an all n5 class. As a result, I am not taught and will be self teaching which is fine just need some resources.
    Are there any books, sites, tips etc I should look into.
    Thank u in advance

ReputationRep:
    What topics are you doing? Do you get to choose the topics yourself, or are they chosen for you? Did you do N5 last year (and what topics did you do then)?

ReputationRep:
    'Teacher' said what topics to do: Britain (1851-1951), migration and empire and russia (1881-1921).
    Last year I did n5 and studied: era of the great war, Atlantic slave trade and Hitler and Nazi Germany.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puppo)
    'Teacher' said what topics to do: Britain (1851-1951), migration and empire and russia (1881-1921).
    Last year I did n5 and studied: era of the great war, Atlantic slave trade and Hitler and Nazi Germany.
    For Higher, we did Britain (1851-1951), Era of the Great War and Russia (1881-1921).

BBC Bitesize is a good start for all the topics, at least when it comes to getting the information itself. But it's not so great for the likes of examples of questions, or in doing things like analysis and evaluation (which you'll need a lot of for essays - I believe only 6/20 marks are for raw knowledge). The Leckie and Leckie book (specifically the Course Notes, not the Success Guide) is better for that sort of thing, and it includes all the topics you're studying, though it is quite weighty and expensive (around £20). Older textbooks tend to be okay as well - in particular there's quite a few things available for Britain and Russia. If you can, try and look over your Nat 5 assignment as well - the format is fairly similar to Higher essays, and it'll give you a good foundation to start with when it comes to essays.

Also, try speaking to your history teacher, and see if they can help with finding or suggesting resources you can get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewman99)
    For Higher, we did Britain (1851-1951), Era of the Great War and Russia (1881-1921).

BBC Bitesize is a good start for all the topics, at least when it comes to getting the information itself. But it's not so great for the likes of examples of questions, or in doing things like analysis and evaluation (which you'll need a lot of for essays - I believe only 6/20 marks are for raw knowledge). The Leckie and Leckie book (specifically the Course Notes, not the Success Guide) is better for that sort of thing, and it includes all the topics you're studying, though it is quite weighty and expensive (around £20). Older textbooks tend to be okay as well - in particular there's quite a few things available for Britain and Russia. If you can, try and look over your Nat 5 assignment as well - the format is fairly similar to Higher essays, and it'll give you a good foundation to start with when it comes to essays.

Also, try speaking to your history teacher, and see if they can help with finding or suggesting resources you can get.
    Thank you very much!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.